back to article I am just a mapper: Solar drones take to the skies above Blighty

The Ordnance Survey reckons it has succeeded where Google and Facebook failed, with the launch of a solar-powered drone fleet that will hover permanently high above Blighty. The Astigan high-altitude "pseudo satellite" (HAPS) is British technology, and was co-developed with the Survey, which owns it. Brian Jones, former RAF …

1. sandman

Brilliant

"The vehicle has a 38m wingspan but weighs little more than a typical sysadmin: 149kg (328lb)."

1. Alister

Re: Brilliant

Pah, I weigh 101.6kg you cheeky sods...

1. Craig 2

So your actual weight is 0.68 sysadmins, where's that on the SMI? (sysadmin mass index) Could this be a new Reg unit?

2. Stevie

Re: Pah, I weigh 101.6kg

Is that with or without the belt-mounted Leatherman tools, bits for the Leatherman tools, Wenger Swiss Army Knife, Victorinox Swiss Army Knife, Stanly Multi-Tool, Work Cellphone, Private Cellphone, Apple Newton (for street cred), Spring-Loaded Tape Measure (for snaking network cable), Mini-Maglite, and carabiner loaded with a ridiculously silly number of sharp car paint scratchers and upholstery rippers?

Or aren't you a *real* SA?

1. Not an Anonymous Coward

@Stevie, I was under the impression that *real* SA's had the Gerber Legend multitool. The Leatherman was the choice of their PHY before they knew any better.

1. Stevie

Real SAs would have both. The Gerber is in the lower right leg pocket of the cargo pants with the miniature butane soldering iron and solder tape.

2. Stevie

Re: Gerber Legend

Though I have to say, the Leatherman Wave (new iteration) and a set of skinny bits to fit the bit holder are more thunderingly useful than the Gerber tool, or any tool with a dedicated driver. The Allen Keys work spectacularly well, as does the Philips - the most positive and easy-to-use folding Philips driver I've ever had in my hands. Even the Torx bits work above expectations.

The only downsides to the Wave are the propensity to gift the user with a really good blood blister if the pliers slip when really giving whatever-it-is a damn good squeezing, the way the cutter jaws can bind up while cutting soft and thinner wire (a problem with all folding pliers because none of the ones I've seen lock in the "pliers deployed" configuration) and the scissors are not great for cutting lightweight paper.

2. Geoffrey W

What, no ferret, for pulling cable through small channels?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

What, no ferret, for pulling cable through small channels?

Didn't Richard Gere have a storage solution for that?

Oh no, wait, that was a hamster, my bad.

I'll go and hide now :)

2. Stevie

Re: What, no ferret,

That's what the tape measure is for.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Unep Eurobats
      Paris Hilton

A sysadmin is an El Reg unit now? What's that in diplodocuses?

1. Captain Scarlet

Well if we have a syadmin as a unit, surely we should have a PFY, BOFH and PHB El Reg Units as well?

1. baud

The half-life of a PHB working with a BOFH is too short to reliable measure.

2. John Robson Silver badge

What can you fit in 25kg...

... and what's the power budget of the payload (assuming that it draws power from the batteries that power the craft as well).

Was also rather disappointed by their 'plane/stratosphere/orbit' comparison... you'd have thought that scale would be important in that animation...

1. Herring`

Re: What can you fit in 25kg...

I couldn't watch the animation, but 60,000ft is a bit less than 20km while a stable low earth orbit is more like 200km. Since the demise of Concorde, no passenger jets get higher than about 45,000 feet.

1. Martin Gregorie

As far as I know there are currently no military aircraft, apart from a few U-2s, that can operate at 67,000 ft., so for all practical purposes its above any other aircraft that is likely to be flying over the UK.

NOTE that, rocket planes and U-2s excluded, it seems likely that the highest flying aircraft today is Perlan 2, a pure glider, that is awaiting confirmation of a record for its flight on September 2, 2018 which reached 76,124 ft in Patagonian mountain wave off the Andes.

The story is here: http://www.perlanproject.org/blog/perlan-2-soars-above-76000-feet

and a longer film is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE792Y9hyww

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Apparently, the service ceiling of the MiG-31 is 25000+ m (82000+ ft) but I doubt it goes that high very often - since the demise of the SR-71 there's little need.

2. Mark 85

I take it they figure the winds at that altitude are not a problem? Given the size, weight, and no information on power or airspeed, I'd think the winds could cause problems with holding station over a given area.

2. Geoff Johnson

1/6th of a Sysadmin, apparently.

1. AS1
        Coat

Holy admins! Could we fit one dehydrated?

Mine's the one with heavy water in the pocket.

2. Ken 16 Silver badge

A sysadmins lunch?

3. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Nothing wrong

with a log scale.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Nothing wrong

As used by dendrochronologists.

3. Drone Pilot

_The vehicle has a 38m wingspan but weighs little more than a typical sysadmin: 149kg (328lb)._

Not very nice. I'm 148KGs :(

4. Champ

Just because you're paranoid...

...doesn't mean they're not out to get you. I started typing this as a joke, but now it sounds a bit too believable.

The OS story is a cover. These devices are really so the authorities can track and respond to the brexit riots

1. DropBear
      Trollface

Re: Just because you're paranoid...

Just wait until they start parachuting in peacekeeping forces too - I reckon 25Kg is enough for a smallish, really young shark with a laser...

1. Snowy Silver badge
        Joke

In keeping with your name I would assume they would use dropbears, just load then up in some guided dart and your done!

1. Evil Auditor Silver badge

Dropbears won't work. They drop in Straya. You take 'em over to Blighty, right around the other side of the globe, they'll drift up and vanish into space. It's true.

2. MonsieurTM

Surely "frikkin'" laser???

3. Rusty 1

They could be ingenious and deploy single-use flying squirrels with frikkin' lasers.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

We could teach them to flap, to overcome the single use problem..

No, wait, no solutionising before you have defined the problem. Although it's more fun.

4. Ken 16 Silver badge

or an ill tempered sea bass?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"The OS story is a cover. These devices are really so the authorities can track and respond to the brexit riots"

Nah, this is our response to being kicked out of Gallileo. When you're lost, you ring up the OS and they have a look at the latest imagery, and then say "Do a U turn".

1. Anonymous Coward
        Trollface

Q: "How do I get my drone to Gatwick?"

A: "I wouldn't start from here."

2. adam 40 Silver badge

"Nah, this is our response to being kicked out of Gallileo"

"What can you fit in a 25kg payload"?

How about an atomic clock, a computer, and a microwave transmitter - with a constellation of drones, we could have our own UK GPS network up and running in months.

3. Andytug
      Big Brother

*Farage's Law invoked*

1. BigSLitleP

Is that a law that states when you are irrelevant, start your own group?

1. macjules

No. That's the Rees-Mogg Principle. The Law of Farage is, "prostitutes do not care about the colour of your money or where you earned it".

2. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Stevie

No, you're good because as someone here assured me, you *can* shoot down drones using a Karcher pressure washer.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

" The Astigan high-altitude "pseudo satellite" (HAPS) is British technology"

So is the major competition:- Zephyr, although that's now owned by Airbus. To my knowledge, Zephyr currently has the endurance record for an unmanned aircraft of just under 26 days continuous flight.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

So is the major competition:- Zephyr, although that's now owned by Airbus.

IIRC Zephyr had some defence funding? So there's no way on earth they'll share that with anybody like OS, even if OS can claim that all their staff have the necessary clearance. So probably very sensible to invest in an SME to build their own.

6. m0rt

I wonder what the radar and heat signature of this is like....?

1. Wellyboot Silver badge

Given the construction materials, not much RCS at all would be my guess. I'd also hazard that at 20,000m with the sun in the same part of the sky relative to the observee many military grade ground based systems wouldn't get a lock either.

7. Peter Galbavy

How did you know my weight? Are you using a solar powered drone to spy on me? And I've not been a (professional) sysadmin for years either.

8. DropBear

The 38m is the single number wot makes things make sense - no drone of any kind of more conventional dimensions has enough surface area to gather any meaningful amount of solar energy as far as powered flight is concerned; but yes, once your wingspan is measured in bus lengths, staying up there for quite a while definitely can be done and has been done. Although I'm not sure roads and rivers move around often enough to warrant 24/7 surveillance especially once you already mapped them; but as far as up-to-date "satellite imagery" is concerned, this would definitely help...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I'm not sure roads and rivers move around often enough to warrant 24/7 surveillance especially once you already mapped them

Don't forget that a lot of the world is still not mapped, and OS probably have their eye on the ability to remotely map entire nations as a commercial exercise. And being well out of range of ground fire would enable mapping in countries where you'd not want to have anything with the range of a Manpad.

If you can sort out the resolution to an acceptable degree then there's still UK applications that would benefit from repeated re-scans. So power line clearances to vegetation, water leaks.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Don't forget that a lot of the world is still not mapped, and OS probably have their eye on the ability to remotely map entire nations as a commercial exercise. "

In the BBC version of the story, they say the OS is looking at selling their services to countries where mapping is very expensive due to either large generally inaccessible areas or the country just doesn't have the cash to splurge on quality satellite mapping.

2. JoshOvki

"I'm not sure roads and rivers move around often enough to warrant 24/7 surveillance especially once you already mapped them"

Doing some navigation practice with OS maps recently. My mate had a 2011 map, and I had a 2016 map. A surprising number of boundary marks had moved or were totally gone which made it much more challenging for him. Mountains and rivers don't move much, but they don't only map mountains and rivers (they also have pubs marked!)

3. Alister

I'm not sure roads and rivers move around often enough to warrant 24/7 surveillance especially once you already mapped them;

Them oxbow loops are tricky little bastards, they'll jump around as soon as your back is turned...

4. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

I'd like to see a good national survey of crop marks in a dry summer and a survey in low sun conditions.

9. Graham Cunningham

Police drama

I hope they have those cameras I see on the police dramas that my wife watches, that can zoom in to distinguish the exact shade of nail varnish that the perp is wearing...

1. John Robson Silver badge

Re: Police drama

Are those the cameras that can pick up the colour of nail varnish in the reflection off a car headlight, which can be seen in the reflection of a door handle, which is half a mile away...

2. Stevie

Re: Police drama

Yes indeed. And why oh why don't newagents and bodega owners fit these instead of the older model only good for footage of the Loch Ness Monster?

10. Dippywood

What goes up with the aid of a launcher...

Crashes hard without one?

1. Wellyboot Silver badge

Re: What goes up with the aid of a launcher...

I had a similar thought. Landing on the launch carrier frame would make a good video.

2. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Navy pilots might disagree.

1. defiler

They call themselves Aviators - say they're better than pilots.

1. OssianScotland

But have they got the "right stuff"?

2. Stevie

Re: They call themselves Aviators

Because in the Navy a pilot does a different job involving steering the ships.

Lest you think this is daft sailor nomenclature nonsense, talk about stalling the engine in a small aircraft in front of an aircraft pilot and get lectured - endlessly - on the proper use of "stall" when it comes to aeroplanes.

3. defiler

Downvote? Alright, own up. Who hates The Right Stuff?

Also, it's Chuck Yeager's birthday today. 96, apparently bucking the theory of "live fast, die young."

2. Dippywood

As well they might - however the runway used was considerably more 'conventional' than the ones the navy pilots have with their launchers on. They get arrestors too, IIRC

3. John Robson Silver badge

But it also comes down *really* slowly... The speed at which that thing started flying was nice and low (minimise energy expenditure cutting through the air.

You could probably catch it without too much difficulty - Mr Steven would be fast enough...

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Such drones don't have any wheels for the takeoff roll, and thus there's no ground clearance for the props if they could roll, or even skid. These aircraft are a lot like spacecraft, in that they must shave off every possible gram of mass, but also while enlarging the aircraft physically as much as possible! Those two things don't naturally go together, so extreme (and expensive) measures are utilized to get it done.

I'd guess they dispense with all landing gear other than a tiny steel skid along the bottom. They can't take off on that, but on the landing approach the props could be stopped and moved to the horizontal position just before touchdown, keeping the props clear of the ground.

Then maybe, just maybe, they'll get her down in one piece. Considering how sensitive such a large, lightweight vehicle is to the slightest zephyr, good luck with that. It probably makes safely landing a dirigible look easy.

1. Stevie

Re: don't have any wheels

Then come landing time they'll be needing International Rescue with their three big aeroplane landing gear trucks, or possibly, 1/24th scale leccy R/C models of same.

11. Ken 16 Silver badge

I expect these to give the border with Ireland a wide berth

or are these the Technological Solution, possibly even the UK Galileo replacement?

Let's see how they cope with constant cloud.

1. Groaning Ninny

Re: I expect these to give the border with Ireland a wide berth

The cloud won' affect their power (as they'll be waaay above the vast majority of cloud).

Now, would cloud be an issue for what they're looking at? Possibly, although the beauty of these is that unlike a satellite it'll be easier to tell it to look in particular areas and perhaps avoid the cloud. Note an earlier poster wondered if these could be desired to help the OS map non-UK locations, some of which might be a little less occluded.

12. Flakk

In addition to mapping, the platform has uses for "urbanisation, land management, environmental change and mapping to support emergency response in the case of natural disasters", according to Neil Ackroyd, co-founder of the company.

And surveillance of the civil population. Don't forget about that.

1. the Jim bloke
      Windows

Thought the yoof of today werent up to being civil?

so is this just for spying on old farts?

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"And surveillance of the civil population."

As their spokesman said, it's hard to identify people by the tops of their heads.

13. Stevie

Bah!

Would be more awesome if it had a Cox .010 TD with brushless motor (doubles as starter/genny ) for APU.

14. Peter Christy

Gatwick?

Didn't take off from anywhere near Gatwick, did it?

15. Jimmy2Cows Silver badge
    Headmaster

Ummm... refueling...?

Doesn't use "fuel" so cannot "refuel". Presumably means "needing its batteries replaced" given the 100-cycle degradation.

Wish people would stop dumbing things down to the point the meaning changes competely.

16. JDX Gold badge

Battery life

I'm curious how the batteries work at this altitude given the extremely low temperature. Do they use fundamentally different battery tech or are there workarounds that your smartphone doesn't have?

1. Ozzard

Re: Battery life

I suspect that if you put the batteries inside the wing sections in a long sausage surrounded by a low-density foam, they'd be pretty well insulated - perhaps enough that you wouldn't need to run extra heater wires near them, given that they'll emit heat both when charging and when discharging. No idea whether that's how it's done, but it looks like the kind of design where you can take advantage of available space.

17. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken
    Pint

You know, I'd love to read Lester Haines' take on this. Alas...

(A pint or two to raise on absent friends.)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like