back to article Skype goes blurry, Office gets a kick in the privacy, and Microsoft takes us back to 1990

Last week the headlines were dominated by Microsoft seemingly putting the boot into its own productivity suites and bashing its elderly browser. But of course there was plenty else afoot within the sphere of Redmond. Skype smears Vaseline on the webcam It's nearly a year since Microsoft trailed blurry backgrounds in its …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

State of Decay

given MS context is is quite hilarious (alongside Office 364 and fall update)

2. jake Silver badge

If you want a nostalgic file manager ...

... but one that actually works quite nicely, get yourself a copy of Midnight Commander. I've never used the unofficial Windows port, but a friend swears by it (as opposed to at it), even on Win10.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: If you want a nostalgic file manager ...

I find running a third party file manager on windows very useful for elevating your privileges to Domain Admin temporarily to perform a file function. (As long as you trust the third party of course)

You could never do that with Windows Explorer due to it being baked in with the file system. Not tried with Windows 10 yet.

1. The Original Steve

"You could never do that with Windows Explorer due to it being baked in with the file system..."

Open a command prompt, then type:

runas /user:Domain\Admin explorer.exe

<enterpassword>

New explorer window opens under the security context of the domain admin. Works on all supported Windows versions as far as I can recall.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Have you tried it? Because no it doesn't. You can't run explorer as regular user and admin at the same time.

As explorer is baked into windows you can't exclusively open explorer as Admin, like you can with other applications.

2. jgarbo
      Linux

MC is the first app I open, just to see what's happening (in Linux, of course). Do people use Windows anymore?

3. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Meh

the old windows 3.0 "Program Manager" might actually be BETTER than whatever eldritch abomination Micro-shaft has horked up and excreted in Win-10-nic... just sayin' at least I didn't have FRICKIN' TILES...

"Going back to 1990" is what they did with the 2D FLATTY McFLATFACE FLATSO look - similar to windows 1.0 even!!!

So yeah - 'not in a good way' when you look at the bigger picture.

File manager was ok though. It morphed into what you see in 'Explorer' as well as open source versions like nautilus and caja and konqueror and so on.

/me wants the old windows XP UI back, with all of the kernel updates and hardware compatibility found in Win-10-nic

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

In a report last week, Microsoft confirmed that products that form part of its Office Pro Plus will be tweaked by the end of April to address the "concerns". Failure to do so could result in the Dutch unleashing the regulatory hounds.

The regulator should have been unleashed immediately. Letting them know they can get away with "Oops, sorry!" does nothing to inhibit future offences.

1. Spamfast

Can't agree more.

It's no use finally giving regulators teeth if they won't bite the malefactors.

Reminds me of HMRC in the UK repeatedly making deals with rich tax evaders to "pay back what they owe" (usually meaning some small percentage of the millions they've dodged) instead of slapping them in irons.

Joe Bloggs in the meantime gets hammered if he, due to the Byzantine rules, mistakenly underpays by a few hundred.

1. Mage Silver badge

Re: mistakenly underpays by a few hundred.

And even if pays it up, then gets deported under terrorism laws.

Home Office is breaking UK law, PM promises, EU laws and UK hasn't left yet.

Also breaking international laws, but after Boris gets UK out of OECD, the UK will leave UN anyway.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"In a report last week, Microsoft confirmed that products that form part of its Office Pro Plus will be tweaked by the end of April to address the "concerns".

So, Microsoft, will the telemetry tweaks apply to consumers who are currently having data illegally collected but will be based outside of the EU when you actually implement the fixes?

1. ThatOne Silver badge

> So, Microsoft, will the telemetry tweaks apply to consumers who are [...] based outside of the EU

I'm pretty sure they will check the computers locale setting and its IP address, and if both point to Europe, they will not slurp (too much). If any one points outside (visiting foreigner or traveling european) they will.

4. Waseem Alkurdi

and a way to save files locally (in TXT format, if the user so desires).

As if the .sb file format isn't a .txt?

5. gcla72
    Facepalm

Yes but...

Will it hide your nanny trying to herd your offspring whilst on national television?

1. Nick Ryan Silver badge

Re: Yes but...

If you are thinking of the "live" video cast where kids came on... that was his wife.

6. arctic_haze

Windows File Manager

The specs say "Windows 10 version 16299.0 or higher" so no backward compatibility even for still supported Windows versions (like Win 7). Also, I would suspect, it will stop working on a version of Windows 10 which Microsoft will spoon-feed its victims in near future.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Meh

Re: Windows File Manager

uh, if you have the source, just change the OS compatibility thingies in the headers... build it for XP or '9x or whatever if you want.

7. Steve B

Microsoft - Quality Assurance Department - Giraffe.

I thought it was a joke, but remembered that when I returned to modern "Quality Assurance" for a US company, I did get a bit of a shock - and the sack!

When we started QA for an UK international computer manufacturer, we improved software quality by unheard of amounts simply by acting as real users.

When I went back into QA I ran the US company induction script as a real QA exercise on their about to be released product which had already passed its own QA with flying colours, I found around 25 deviations, one of which was major.

I was called in by personnel and informed that my job as a QA Test lead did NOT involve finding bugs. My job was to run the scripts and the scripts would log whether there were any bugs or not.

I thought they were taking the P, but I was then informed I was not the sort of person they wanted working there. And they would not even let me back in to get my coat and coffee cup, which were brought out to me.

The daft thing about it was that their new US director had visited the day before to recount to the company that he had spent a few weeks going round the major customers to find out their perception of the product. His findings matched mine exactly and I hadn't left the desk.

Until the companies realise that Quality Assurance is not there to sign off whatever you already have, but should actually work towards improving the quality of the product, things are not going to get better.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like