back to article Prez Trump orders Uncle Sam to step up AI efforts – we all know the White House knows a lot about artificial intelligence

President Donald Trump signed an executive order on Monday kickstarting the American AI Initiative, a strategic plan to keep the nation ahead of its competitors in artificial intelligence. “Continued American leadership in Artificial Intelligence is of paramount importance to maintaining the economic and national security of …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

We could replace him with a Raspberry Pi...

Except the Pi has too much pride to emulate anything that epicly stupid.

1. Oengus

Re: We could replace him with a Raspberry Pi...

and would be way over powered.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Hey, don't knock him down. Remember the guy is a genius....and a very stable genius at that!

1. Robert 22

It must be said that he has brought AI in the form of Artificial Incompetence to a new level

1. Fungus Bob

It's not artificial...

1. Fungus Bob

Oooh, downvoted by Trump and Pence...

2. sanmigueelbeer

Remember the guy is a genius....and a very stable genius at that!

You forgot "handsome".

3. katrinab Silver badge

You could replace him with a Raspberry Pie. That would be more intelligent as well.

4. Fatman

I agree with the commentard that opined that a Pi would be overkill. I suggest something using either an 8080 or 6502.

1. Someone Else Silver badge
        Headmaster

I agree with the commentard that opined that a Pi would be overkill. I suggest something using either an 8080 or 6502.

Still way too overpowered. Think 8748....

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: We could replace him with a Raspberry Pi...Think 8748.

Won't work. 8748 had only 64 bytes of RAM, you need more than that for a tweet.

However, the ability to erase and rewrite the firmware periodically would be a useful feature in a Trump emulator.

5. Uncle Slacky Silver badge

Shirley an OrangePi would be more appropriate?

1. sanmigueelbeer
        Happy

Shirley an OrangePi would be more appropriate?

OrangePi, made by a Chinese company, is inappropriate.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

We could replace him with a...

9 volt battery and a wet sock.

3. Oengus

AI

I suppose if they can get AI there will be some form of intelligence in the US. It has to be more intelligent than what they have at the moment.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: AI

yeah. Y'know some Americans are stupid enough to believe Hillary Clinton?

Wow!

1. martinusher Silver badge

>yeah. Y'know some Americans are stupid enough to believe Hillary Clinton?

Nah, not "stupid". Its a case of the lesser of two evils. Its a bit like Thatcher/Major and Blair. You know you're going to get shafted so its just a matter of who's got the lube.

1. Michael Habel

In that case Prsident Trump could have been the winner... In the case of reality THANKFULLY this is as we find it.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Oengus Swap "American" for "African" in your post. Still think it's not racist?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You misunderstand, the original quote is aimed at the fantastic orange one. All races are threatened by stupid rhetoric.

2. John Bailey

"@Oengus Swap "American" for "African" in your post. Still think it's not racist?"

AC.. Learn the definition of race. Still don't understand why we are laughing?

You don't want to be made fun of?

STOP GIVING US SO MUCH MATERIAL TO WORK WITH.

3. Adrian 4

Fake Intelligence ?

4. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

The view through Rose Lawn tinted glasses ....... Spectacular Monoculars :-)

“Continued American leadership in Artificial Intelligence is of paramount importance to maintaining the economic and national security of the United States,” Trump said.

Oh please, Donald, you cannot be serious. Don't you read the memos and reports painting the picture that Uncle Sam is always liable to overwhelming foreign attack on economic and national security machines and must defend and preen itself with the spending of thousands of millions of dollars it prints/pumps/pimps to create out of nothing deficits and debt it cares not a jot about.

What/Who on Earth has led you to believe the nonsense that Artificial Intelligence is American led and is to continue?

Such is surely certifiable madness and puts one in the danger zone of presidential impeachment and summary dismissal from executive administrative office?

1. sprograms

Re: The view through Rose Lawn tinted glasses ....... Spectacular Monoculars :-)

While my candidate never makes it through the primary season, I can defend US AI. Google. MIT, Cal Tech, Carnegie Mellon, et al, suffice. It is easy for people to overlook what Trump has accomplished. After all, they've get a nicely woven narrative to make them comfortable hurling insults over the wall. If you read/listened to the BBC, NBC, ABC or read the major European papers over the last two years, over the last month, what you'll read today will fit harmoniously with what they tell you today. Conformation isn't just a Bias, but a favorite flavor.

Even Joe Biden's brother Frank recently said, "everybody in the family voted for Trump, because we can't stand Hilary." It's no wonder. And I laugh: We're going crazy in the US trying to tie Trump to Russia somehow. Yet, first, we know Hillary actually paid, through British former and not-so-former spied to employ Russian agents to hunt up ultra-salacious-sounding slurs on Trump. About Trump's hypothesized Russian connections, we have nothing of note to point to. I know, though "you may hate what I say, you'll risk your life to defend my right to say it." Not so much? Well, it was a nice concept while it lasted....

1. Mooseman Silver badge

Re: The view through Rose Lawn tinted glasses ....... Spectacular Monoculars :-)

/ "everybody in the family voted for Trump, because we can't stand Hilary." It's no wonder /

Except Clinton won the popular vote by about 3 million, which rather sinks your supposition that Trump was the popular choice. There is no evidence of her colluding with Russia, while the investigation into your hero gets nearer every day, despite his interference, to nailing him.

Keep trying, even though it makes you look silly.

1. Michael Habel

FOR THE MILLIONTH TIME ALRADY The Presidential Election is not, nor has it ever been a beauty pageant! The Electoral College exists for a reason, its so that the dosptopotional amount of idiots from State "A", (i.e. California), can not impose its will upon State "B".

The Electoral College is there to protect the minority intrests of the divestity of thought, that a lot of you lot love to bang on about. but, yes I guss this would be the second time you commie progressives got stung by the system... It just means that everything is working the exact way our founding fathers had planed for it to work from the start.

Mores the pitty that they lost control of the Banks... But, anyone with enough sense to remember their corse in high school civics. Will never see this point cedded.

Though I have to grimice at the idiots who actually think Alexandria Occasio Cortez, could with her tender young 30 Years of experience on this Earth. could yet, still save the Day, and defeat our God Empeor. :D

*Yeah AOC, might, unlike Berry have no problems proving that she was born in New York. She still isnt 42 Years Old, and so could only concider running well after 2032, or in 12 Years time.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
            Facepalm

"remember their corse in high school civics. Will never see this point cedded."

Such a shame that you don't remember your course in high school English.

5. Crisp

I can never understand anything the guy says

He needs an actor or something to do his voice for him.

1. Rich 11

Re: I can never understand anything the guy says

If he went back to elementary school for a few years he might learn to string a sentence together that wouldn't embarrass a six year old. The experience might even improve his usual standard of playground insults.

1. Rich 11

I love it that someone gave me a thumbs-down for that observation. I don't know whether that means they've never heard Donald Trump try to explain something or they've never heard a six year old try to explain something.

"It's all happening much faster than anybody can believe. Even one of them recently said that President Trump made promises but he’s kept many more promises, I mean far more than I made. Think of it, it’s true." -- Donald Trump, Nov 1st 2018

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: I love it that someone gave me a thumbs-down for that observation.

Standard operation: someone downvoted every post mocking the Orange One.

Well, you can use your tiny hands to downvote this one too :-)

1. Michael Habel

Re: I love it that someone gave me a thumbs-down for that observation.

Please stop projecting your small hand problem onto others... Thank you.

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

While I personally find it difficult to listen to him, I do think there is some mileage in the idea that his delivery is designed to appeal to the "cognitively challenged" (a larger part of the population than we both might imagine, because I don't mean just the idiots). They're just listening for key words and phrases that signal he's on their side. This is why his team isn't worried that his speeches are so full of inaccurracies and downright fallacies. It's worth reading some of the stuff Scott Adams wrote about his campaign back in 2015 and 2016, before he switched to his periscope casts.

The only problem with this interpretation is that it fails to take into consideration the problems associated with his international speeches.

Oh, and anyway, way your downvotes with pride! Echo bubbles are for losers!

1. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge

I do think there is some mileage in the idea that his delivery is designed to appeal to the "cognitively challenged" (a larger part of the population than we both might imagine, because I don't mean just the idiots).

I think it's just like that; he speaks with parenthesis included (even with nested parenthesis (even nested, nested parenthesis) (a great talent (a huge talent), the best there is (the Donald is great (the best) at it)).

It always sounds to me as I imagine someone with a multiple-personality disorder would sound while commenting on and praising what they were saying while saying it.

I guess it's also a bit like art; some people are able to 'get it' and put aside 'but I can't explain it' without worrying over that or how 'it doesn't make any sense'.

1. Rich 11

he speaks with parenthesis included (even with nested parenthesis (even nested, nested parenthesis) (a great talent (a huge talent), the best there is (the Donald is great (the best) at it))

Fucking hell, Jason, give us a warning before you do that! That nearly triggered my Lisp PTSD.

The horror, the horror...

1. sprograms

How could you have got PTSD from a beautiful language?

1. Rich 11

French is a beautiful language. Finnish is a beautiful language. Lisp is the equivalent of Hungarian as spoken by a Valley girl with a railroad spike through her tongue while doing a bad impersonation of Donald Trump.

(I admit I may be presenting a few minor biases here.)

2. Waseem Alkurdi

I think it's just like that; he speaks with parenthesis included (even with nested parenthesis (even nested, nested parenthesis) (a great talent (a huge talent), the best there is (the Donald is great (the best) at it)).

No, he's being a programmer using recursive calls:

x = doFunction1(y, doFunction2(doFunction1(a, b), z, doFunction3(c, d)))

EDIT: Seems that @Rich 11 has beaten me to it xD

3. Someone Else Silver badge
              Coat

@Jason Bloomberg -- Re: I can never understand anything the guy says

What you are saying is, he speaks with a Lisp.

6. DavCrav

The main issue is that good machine learning algorithms depend on lots of high-quality training data. In order for them to be useful in our lives, it will usually be personal data. So the countries that can mandate users to hand over personal data for the good of the glorious revolution (China) will have the best data, and then the countries where companies can hoover up whatever they want with no regard for your privacy (US) will be behind them. Europe, with GDPR, will be far behind.

1. Gonzo wizard
      Coat

"Europe, with GDPR, will be far behind"

All I can say is "lucky them" (the citizens of the EU, that is). The usefulness of any given AI is closely related to the quality of its training data, the degree to which hidden bias in that training data is removed/corrected, and the quality of the actual data being supplied to the trained system. If your AI/ML system has an extremely narrow focus with high quality training data and high quality input data it can be useful and probably fairly reliable.

In systems that are being fed data collected en masse (both voluntarily supplied and involuntarily mined) the spectrum of data quality is going to be so wide that training an AI that never produces a 'junk' result from real data is nigh on impossible.

You can't use AI to make decisions about people's lives on the basis of this kind of data. You can never be certain that the system you regard as well trained will not produce a stupid answer. Even if you catch the stupid answer you won't know how to prevent the same thing happening again. Statistical likelihood is not enough dealing with tens, and hundreds, of millions of people, each with thousands of data points, every day.

I think we've reached peak folly here. Coat, because much like gambling and financial instrument trading, AI/ML is something I'll never work on.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: "Europe, with GDPR, will be far behind"

A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic. - Joseph Stalin.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

arms race with both countries competing to develop military applications using the technology

so, essentially, we have between 10 - 20 years to live.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: arms race with both countries competing to develop military applications using the technology

If that doesn't get us, the end of the insects will mean we'll all starve anyway.

Currently the US is determinedly fighting the wrong wars with the wrong enemy. And giant electric cars that sell to fewer than 1% of the population won't fix climate change and food shortages. A rational arms race between the US and China would aim at sustainability and deterrence, not dominance and aggression.

Currently China looks more likely to win that one.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: arms race with both countries competing to develop military applications using the technology

That long ?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: That long ?

it takes time to make it "viable" and "mature" - ask yourself: is it cheap enough to use this technology to kill humans? When your beancounters give you thumbs up - you're ready. Or, rather, when YOU tell the beancounters when to give you thumbs up :(

3. Michael Habel

Funny I thought, the world according to The man who singlehandely invented the intertubes (i.e. Al Gore for those to young to remember...), we would, all be in some very bad Keven Costner movie world by now. Ok, but we will defintly be there inside of the next Ten Years, according to another bright mind going by the name of Alexandria Ocasio Cortez.

I'm of course confident enough to place a bet on the World pretty much looing the same then, as now, as it once was several decades ago. But, hay perhaps if we cry wolf enough... It might actually appear? Then again... Unlike Global Warming... At leat I can accept that Wolves are in fact a real threat, and, not an imagend One, used to buke the taxpayer out of. By ever increasing prices on Gas, and Electicity.

8. This post has been deleted by its author

9. Sanguma

wrong field

The United States has always specialized in Natural Stupidity. They even have a governmental organ devoted exclusively to it - the Natural Stupidity Agency. Somehow they've conflated National Security with Natural Stupidity ... nuff sed?

10. WonkoTheSane
    Terminator

USA creating AI?

Isn't that how Skynet began?

1. Cliff Thorburn

Re: USA creating AI?

That began when Rupert Murdoch sold BSKYB to Comcast ...

2. Sgt_Oddball
      Terminator

Re: USA creating AI?

Especially if its AI with American values.... Like plasma rifles in the 40-watt range for everyone!

11. Andytug

Fixed that for you..

"We must ensure that advances in AI remain fueled by American taxpayer dollars, reflect American right wing fundamentalist Christian values, and are applied for the benefit of the richest American people.”

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ho ho

What does Trump know about intelligence?

13. Sleep deprived
    Thumb Up

When you're out of the real stuff...

It's time to go with the artificial flavor.

14. spold Silver badge

More frightening than a winged monkey in Munchkinland

I'd unravel ev'ry riddle for my

Artificial Individdle

In trouble or in pain

With the thoughts that you'll be thinkin'

You could be another Lincoln

If you only had a brain.

15. martinusher Silver badge

It has that 'clutching at straws' feel, unfortuantely.

One of the reasons I left the UK for the US many years ago was that at the time the 'white heat of technology' really meant 'if you invent something in your garden shed that can make us money we will be only too pleased to exploit it for you'. There was systematic under investment in technology -- civilian technology -- which was mirrored by the appalling wages that companies were prepared to pay engineers. The US seemed a lot different, and it was, because of the ready availability of capital. However, all wasn't quite as wonderful as it seemed, there was still this undercurrent of doing everything on the cheap that hobbled work in the UK, but at least the wages were a lot better.

Fast forward a few decades and those systematic under investment chickens have come home to roost. Yes, the US still has an enormous capability compared to the UK but its gone pretty much down the same route, the signs of trouble being a chronic 'hard' skills shortage and a focus on derivative products that can be built quickly with minimal investment with the hope of making a killing. The appearance of unicorns, in fact. This hollowing out can be attributed to outsourcing and its going to take some time to reverse this trend, especially as the US isn't quite as attractive to the highly skilled as it was decades ago. Like the UK of old we're now excelling primarily in marketing -- we know how to talk up a product, to package and sell it but our intentions often outstrip our capabilities.

16. Sanguma

three-legged race

"Machine learning has often been described as an arms race with both countries competing to develop military applications using the technology."

The way the US and the PRC are in each other's pockets, it's more a three-legged race. You are not expected to understand this.

(Mind you, I came to the conclusion during the last years of the Old Cold War, that we needed an Interdependence Day to commiserate/celebrate the fact, however unpleasant it might have been, that neither side could lift a finger without sticking it up the arse of their opposing number in the opposite camp. Siamese Twins having a knock-out bout bareknuckled. Well, when are we going to celebrate/commiserate Interdependence Day? I'd suggest Nagasaki Memorial Day for that; alternatively we could take the day that the Soviet Union exploded its first nuke.)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like