back to article EE customer: Creepy ex used employee access to change my mobile number, spy on me

A staffer at BT Group's EE has been accused of using his employee access to peek at his ex's account details and change her phone number to spy on her texts. His ex-partner, Francesca Bonafede, a customer of the phone provider, claimed he had accessed her personal data, including bank details, new address and images of her …

1. adam payne

..asked for a new SIM and had the account switched to a new handset, and registered it to a new address, which Bonafede recognised as her ex's.

You go to all that length to stalk your ex and you use your own address?!?

The network added that it had "worked quickly to protect Francesca", but apologised "for not keeping her informed"..

BT/EE don't work quickly on anything.

1. bozwoz

Used to work for them back when they were Orange and a colleague got apparently got hauled over the coals for popping in a celebs name into the customer record viewer out of idle curiosity. Didn't access the account, just searched the name, but it flagged it somewhere and before the day was out he'd been pulled in for a disciplinary meeting and told in no uncertain terms that had he accessed the account he'd have faced dismissal on the spot. So, for celeb accounts at least, they are on the ball.

1. DavCrav

"So, for celeb accounts people with enough money to sue at least, they are on the ball."

FTFY

2. Cereberus

I worked for their counterpart T-Mobile. There were different levels of access so normal staff couldn't access 'VIP' customer accounts.

I also had to investigate a colleague who was 'playing the system' to get cheap phones to sell on Ebay. The bosses were a little upset when they asked me to do it and my first response was send the request and authority on email. I certainly wasn't going to do it based on a word of mouth request which could be later denied.

3. Dog Eatdog

That's when it was Orange. Now it is bloody useless BT.

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

This is common practice - have a "black list" that you watch of famous people including everything from MPs to prisoners who have some notoriety and flag any access to them for review.

We do it in healthcare, but also have automated auditing in place on newer systems to flag staff looking at their own/family/other staff records where possible. Nothing is perfect though and the black list tends to at least be a start for many companies.

2. Trollslayer
    Mushroom

Hit EE where it counts

Publicity and money.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hit EE where it counts

We'd be better off hitting her ex where it counts ... if you can find them I'd guess they are rather small.

3. tiggity Silver badge

drivers licence image

So how did the ex get that via EE?

Surely no need for EE to have such data (if they did want some photo id for age verification, teh verification should be done and then ID proof images deleted)

Maybe ex had a penchant for words and could not resist changing Bonafede bona fides

4. LordHighFixer

so, I am guessing

That my 'I read your e-mail' shirt is out of fashion these days.

5. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"EE told the BBC that its own internal polices weren't followed in the case, but that its employee had been given the heave-ho."

Employee in the singular is a problem here. There are at least two involved, her ex and the one, or maybe several, who "didn't follow procedures" in handling the complaint.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Looks like Bonafede's ex

didn't act in good faith.

Har! Har! Hilarious... if you speak Italian. :-( Ok, I'll go.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like