back to article Pants-purveyor in plea for popularity: It's not just any pork push... it's an M&S 'love sausage'

Dependable British pants*-seller Marks & Spencer is desperately seeking social media virality as it faces plummeting sales figures, and has decided the best way is to tread the thoroughly British route of innuendo. Because today it has launched a heart-shaped, truffle-and-bacon-wrapped, pork product it named the "Love Sausage …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dabsy?

Is he doing adverts now?

2. Blockchain commentard

Well, the female assistants in my local M&S weren't amused when I went around asking them where they put their love sausages - surprised I wasn't kicked out.

1. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge
      Happy

I was once greeted with the oddest of looks in my local supermarket freezer aisle when I innocently asked an assistant if they stocked cod pieces.

Took a while to figure out what the "what!?" was all about.

1. Joe W Silver badge
        Flame

There is a cheese called "Scharfer Max", which could be translated both as "hot Max" (in both senses) or even "horny Max". I got quite a look at the cheese counter when asking for it... and yes, they had the cheese, and quite prominently displayed in the front. Otherwise I would not have asked for it, I guess.

1. MrT

I asked an ice cream man if he had a Nobbly Bobbly once. He paused, with a look as if he had just unexpectedly chewed an earwax-flavoured jelly bean, then said "Sorry, mate, I only stock Walls stuff"

1. VikiAi
            Go

Come to sunny Australia where you can buy a Gaytime:

https://www.streetsicecream.com.au/brands/golden-gaytime/golden-gaytime-.html

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

If you head on off to Austria, you can buy a BumBum - I even have proof: https://www.foodprocessing-technology.com/news/newsnestle-plans-to-establish-new-ice-cream-joint-venture-in-europe-and-africa-4686445/

The "stick" of the ice lolly is bubblegum.

1. VikiAi
                Go

They don't seem to make them anymore, but as a kid (back in the dinosaur days) we could also ask the tuck-shop lady/man for a "finger".

2. Alister

My dad once went into a hardware shop and asked the young female assistant if she had any vices...

1. Dave K

Did he follow this up by asking where he could find a good screw?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That's nothing...

You should see the size of the black pudding version!

4. adam payne

Of course, one could argue that this isn't just any love sausage. This is an M&S love sausage.

No, it's my love sausage.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

What's in a name?

Clearly when naming the company they got the order wrong. It could have been an S&M love sausage.

5. Alister
    Childcatcher

Will nobody think of the parents!

Take pity on all the embarrassed mothers and fathers who are being met by the question:

"Mummy, Daddy, what's a love sausage?"

1. joeW

Re: Will nobody think of the parents!

"It's a sausage shaped like a heart"

1. TRT Silver badge
    2. IceC0ld

I read PEANUTS, specsaver moment again :o)

then I recalled thre were a certain brand of the delicious pub snack from Nobby's Nuts .......

did not see that coming :oP

1. DiViDeD

Notoriously advertised here in Oz with the phrase 'wouldn't you like to nibble Nobby's Nuts?'

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

missed opportunity

should have packed it with a couple of meatballs

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: missed opportunity

The pork-free version is also missing a bit of sausage skin at one end...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

But the bacon wrap version insures it's "ribbed for her pleasure".

2. Uplink

They used two eggs in the picture, probably thinking they've dodged a bullet, but the word for "eggs" is used to refer to testes in Romanian, so it's funnier in East EU.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"the word for "eggs" is used to refer to testes in Romanian"

Apparently Romanian and Finnish have at least one thing in common then!

1. Locky

That's quite un oeuf of this yoke, thank you very much

2. O RLY

German as well. "Eier" also carries the same slang meaning.

3. John Presland

and Polish, and Spanish, and doubtless many more.

1. Blake St. Claire

> and Spanish,

Not 'round here it's not. Cojones is – AFAIK – the preferred euphemism on this side of the pond. (Mexico and USA anyway; I don't know about further south.) Don't ask me why.

Here huevos are just eggs, of the poultry kind.

1. Omgwtfbbqtime

bollocks to it.

4. VikiAi
        Happy

Mandarin Chinese, too.

5. imanidiot Silver badge

It would work in Dutch, but only if the context made it clear. We're more prone to do away with euphemisms and just straight up call them balls.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pants means kecks up north.

8. Tom 7

I dont know what everyones laughing about.

I dont know if people realise that a heart is more of a diamond shape. The only part of the human anatomy that is generally heart shaped is male with one eye. People have been sending trouser selfies to each other for centuries now,

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: The only part of the human anatomy that is generally heart shaped...

is the heart?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I dont know what everyones laughing about.

The only part of the human anatomy that is generally heart shaped is male with one eye

Not entirely true. The artfully presented female posterior when viewed from behind is a dead ringer for the ❤

1. imanidiot Silver badge
        Coffee/keyboard

Re: I dont know what everyones laughing about.

That very much depends on the woman...

9. Velv
    WTF?

Shopfront advertising gone too far #OffTopic

All the high street stores love to advertise the upcoming "day". Not M&S this time, but a few years ago I was freaked out by the window adverts for "Mothers Day"... In Ann Summers :O

Mind bleach!!!

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: Shopfront advertising gone too far #OffTopic

I was looking forwards to a S&M Valentine's Day.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Roses are red

Violets are blue

Spanking is fun

If it's me spanking you.

2. phuzz Silver badge

Still, I'm not going to complain about supermarkets already stocking hot-cross buns. I love the smell of 'em.

1. VikiAi
        Unhappy

I don't mind them, but here they stopped stocking Portuguese tarts to make room for them.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not pants, knickers.

Years ago M&S called in the consultants to find out what they were doing wrong. The consultants found a lot of little empires and turf wars and came up with a lot of suggestions to encourage co-operative working. Their summary of the situation at M&S was "Bras don't even talk to knickers."

The IoT will doubtless change that eventually.

1. Simon Harris

Re: Not pants, knickers.

I wouldn't get your knickers in a twist over the M&S lingerie wars - it'll turn out to be nothing more than a storm in a C-cup.

1. Korev Silver badge
        Coat

You're sounding a bit (under)wired there, have you drunk too much coffee?

2. Simon Harris

IoT - Internet of Thongs.

11. Aladdin Sane

The ex wife

Has a heart shaped void.

12. Sgt_Oddball
    Coat

Bit premature...

Love sausage only coming on Monday?

About 4 days too soon surely?

Mines the one with the meat and two veg in the pockets...

13. Gene Cash Silver badge

> two slightly bent sausages gently touching tips

Well at least they're not leaving out the LGBT groups now...

Good to see they're being inclusive!

14. Simon Harris

M&S Love Sausage...

Are they taking the St. Michael?

15. Milton

M&S and MS

Given that we have two top stories about Transparent Crassness In Marketing, from Microsoft's thuddingly stupid attempt to con people into using Office36x to Marks & Spencer's juvenile double entendre, can we at last agree that an eminently practical solution to pollution and scarce resources would be to humanely dispose of all advertising, marketing and sales persons on the planet? I know it seems extreme, but we'll save oxygen and food, reduce CO₂ emissions, provide valuable fertiliser for reforestation and raise the entire species' mean IQ by at least ten points.

You know it makes sense.

(Oh, all right, we could retrain a few of them, but there isn't that much demand for dog walkers.)

Where x gets continually smaller

1. Vinyl-Junkie

Re: M&S and MS

Now where did I put the plans for that 'B' Ark...

2. Simon Harris

Is there a version of MS Office made out of sausages? That might get me to buy it.

3. O RLY

Not sure if I saw it here on El Reg or another forum, but I like the moniker "Office 350-something" for MS's SaaS moneygrab.

4. Mark 85

would be to humanely dispose of all advertising, marketing and sales persons

Why does it have to be "humanely"? Make an example and no one will ever want to be one.

1. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

I think the Deadpool Zamboni option would at least ensure some entertainment..

5. This post has been deleted by its author

16. SVV

What a carry on

Why didn't they extend this idea to other sections in the food hall, e.g. seafood?

Say it with crabs– tag who you’ll be sharing your crabs with this Valentine's Day!

Also, the etrernally popular fruitt & veg based innuendo : plums, melons, etc..

17. Blake St. Claire

What kind of "bacon" is that?

It certainly doesn't look like anything I've ever seen on a plate with eggs, mushrooms, and baked beans in England. Marks and Sparks should be ashamed.

But it does look like bacon pretty much every where else in the world.

18. VikiAi

Sorry, I'm holding out for something special - Feb15th: discount chocolate day.

19. Muscleguy

I make my own sausages, gluten free and generally nicer than most supermarket versions. I had two pork with cider soaked apples with mash, 'shrooms and veg for my tea last night. I can see how you could make one of these. Having filled your casings instead of making standard links you make long links and mould them thus letting them sit for a few hours as you would with normal links to allow them to 'set'. Then wrap with bacon and et voila! the constituents of a 'love sausage'. Should you feel the urge to go there.

Note if using natural pork casings you would use the natural curve of these in forming the shapes. Failure to do so would I expect result in unpleasant reshaping during the heat of preparation. I would use natural casings for this purpose for that very reason, reasoning that meat eaters happy with extra porky goodness in the bacon wrappings would not be put off by that. M&S in their tradition keeping mode would also be more likely to got there than say Tesco or Asda who have to worry about worried customers with queasier stomachs.

Besides I find natural casings much easier to work with than the collagen or vegetarian equivalents.

If I can find sufficient cheap short date chook I might make some more of my Thai style chicken bangers, modelled on ones I had back in Auckland, NZ. Nicely spicy hot with lemongrass, galangal and fish sauce. Those I do put in collagen casings as I think they work best as straight sausages.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon