back to article What's that, Skippy? You want a taste of Windows 10 19H2? Oops, too late

Over the past week in MicrosoftLand, Windows Mixed Reality continued its slow shuffle to relevance, a new Project Rome ushered in a world of cross-platform data slinging and Insiders had a play with the latest Skype tweaks. Azure woes The services key to Microsoft's success continued to wobble last week. As well as the Office …

1. 0laf
    Angel

I didn't think Occulus and MS Hololens were in the same market at all. Occulus was VR for gamers and Hololens was AR for work.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You seem to be getting confused, but the article is a bit jumpy, almost like a kangaroo..

The article was talking about Windows Mixed Reality vs Occulus, and as an aside also mentioned Hololens. Windows Mixed Reality is most definitely fighting against Occulus, although going slow.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

Skype Lite on Android

Seems to dispense with most of the UI crap and MS claims it has less data usage. MS claims it's built for India, but I think most people in the world would like a clean simple UI and only essential data use.

Perhaps they should just junk Skype and rename Skype Lite to Skype.

1. A.P. Veening Silver badge

Re: Skype Lite on Android

Lovely idea, unfortunately, it would require common sense, something notably absent in the higher echelons of Microsoft.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So...

Adding sh!t and not fixing the crap already there. Real Slick Microsoft.

1. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

Re: So...

Why change a winning formula?

:)

2. Mark 85

No worries.. just use the common Windows fix... reboot early and often.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

That is routine with the spanking new server we have with all updated Windows 10 server stuff. So while my Linux server has uptimes measured in weeks the one at work is always less than 24 h.

3. Danny 14

thing is, w10 can work and we already know it can - look at the server versions, none of the shit, stable and no forced downloads. Long support dates too.

Shame we end up with the consumer bloated crap instead.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yes... the server versions are MORE stable than the desktop editions but they are still seriously sub-par in comparison with previous versions. I have had more than one Server 2016 machine completely ignore the "Active Hours" setting and STILL go down for updates on nothing more than a login to the Domain Administrator account (and then completely deny that they've done it). Server 2003 restarted when you TOLD it to, and so did every other version I've worked with right up to 2012r2 (which was basically a good OS once you got past TIFKAM).

4. Starace
    Gimp

Skype for Onanists

"make one-handed operation easier and embiggened the user's own video"

Fnar.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

"Skip Ahead gives testers access to even newer Windows code"

"Hey, we moved beta testing off to users, why not moving alpha too now? They're cheap!"

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

re: Over the past week in MicrosoftLand

Don't you really mean...

Over the past week in Microsoft Fantasy Land

IMHO, those inhabitants of 'Planet Redmond' are rapidly heading for another universe and most of us are clearly not invited.

I'm sort of torn between feeling insulted or feeling really happy.... [doh]

7. steviebuk Silver badge

No more testing

Real world testing is all well and good but Sat Nav firing all the QAs and leaving it to the public will always be a mistake.

Despite still sticking with Windows 7 at home I like bits of Windows 10 that 7 misses out on. The ability to natively mount iso files instead of having to get a 3rd party tool. But search in Windows 10 is simply shit. A good test is install sysinternals tools onto the machine. Put the folder in the path area so you can run it wherever and so search should fucking pick it up. I do this on users machine. It never pissing does until I manually go to the directory and run Procmon or Procexp from there at least once (the main ones I install). Its really pissing annoying.

1. Mage Silver badge

Re: XP Search

Native XP search, NOT updated to Windows search, even (especially?) with Indexing off was fine. After you booted off the stupid dog.

It did what you asked it.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
        Linux

for search I just install Cygwin and use find+grep [it's probably faster, too], just like I would on Linux and FreeBSD

1. Nick Sticks

grepWin does it for me.

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: No more testing

"and leaving it to the public FANBOIS will always be a mistake."

fixed it for ya!

8. Mage Silver badge

tweaks to Search to show the most-used apps first

STUPID

You search for things you've little or never used, or else it's a stupid menu/bookmark service needed because of stupid GUI design (like removing infrequently used items from menus, totally daft. Menus / toolbars should NEVER change on their own and menus should have access to everything without ever automatic changing of the order. Probably only Tool Bars use be user configurable and not change on their own).

Microsoft is continuing it's march to irrelevance. I think the Win XP & Win 7 boxes & laptops will stay. I've lost patience with the win 10 gear we have. It's getting Linux (too new for Win7 or XP). Some of the XP, Vista, and Win7 stuff has had Linux Mint for years now.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: tweaks to Search to show the most-used apps first

"It's getting Linux (too new for Win7 or XP)."

Have done that with one of the laptops I have, Ubuntu, works well does everything that's needed plus makes managing my home servers easier (Linux and omnios). One problem I have is, it only goes into standby not hibernate, so after a few days of no use under the table the battery is dead, need to find out how to enable hibernate.

9. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Please quit complaining

You're only lusers in Microsoft's view of the world, just little data points - you can bitch all you like but nobody's listening. Anyway, Windows 11 will be released in about 18 months to boost the share price again - that's the only thing that matters these days.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
      FAIL

Re: Please quit complaining

"you can bitch all you like but nobody's listening AT MICROSOFT."

Fixed it for ya!

Yeah nobody at MICRO-SHAFT is listening, we scream "what about the icebergs?" and they're all "FULL SPEED AHEAD!!!" (obligatory Titanic reference for WIn-10-nic) Their arrogance is only exceeded by their cluelessness.

10. Ian Joyner Bronze badge

Waratah National Park

Having grown up two minutes walk from Waratah National Park (I always live near the most famous parks in the world, the other being Kew Gardens, but that is not fictional, Waratah Park is actually Kuringgai Chase NP) I can say Skippy would never fall for such a thing.

However, kangaroos are not that intelligent. And in all my bush walks around there I never saw a single kangaroo. You are more likely to see one in Kew Gardens maybe in the Palm House or the greenhouse where they keep Australian flora. Come to think of it, the dentist who lived on the corner of West Park Avenue was Australian!

Maybe Skippy has transformed into Skypy.

11. Wellyboot Silver badge

Do what!

>>>allow developers to make their apps stay in the face of specific users.<<< Hands up anyone who thinks this will be abused.

Rome, burning users while Sat Nad fiddles.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like