back to article Chang'e 4 wakes and Yutu 2 stretches its solar panels for another day... on the friggin' MOON

China’s Chang’e 4 lander and rover combo have awoken from their lunar slumbers after a chilly first night on the far side of the Moon. The rover, Yutu 2, booted back up at 20:00 CST on 29 January (12:00 UTC). Change’4 followed a day later on 20:39 CST (12:39 UTC). The reason given for the early wake-up of Yutu 2 was to crack …

1. Jim 59

Fine article but

A shame to see a fine article like this under such a wierdly terrible headline.

1. Mage Silver badge

Re: Fine article but

You new here?

2. NanoMeter

Every other headline is "terrible" on this site. I prefer to use the word "funny".

3. Mark 85

Have a look at the masthead... "Biting the hand that feeds IT". Everything is open season here.

1. Ian Michael Gumby
        Facepalm

Have a look at the masthead... "Biting the hand that feeds IT". Everything is open season here.

Including your mom? :-P Hey! Oh!

Sorry couldn't resist. Its been one of those days here in frostbite falls formerly known as Chicago.

1. ma1010
          Joke

@ Ian Michael Gumby

... frostbite falls formerly known as Chicago.

You know, Chicago was founded by people from New York. As they left New York, they said "We like the crime and the poverty, but it's just not cold enough!"

4. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

"such a wierdly terrible headline"

I was about to say welcome to the site, this is how we roll around here, a lot of it is tongue-in-cheek, unapologetically punny, etc etc... but you've posted more than 2,000 comments on our stories, so, er, what, this is the *first* Reg headline you've actually read in that time? ;-)

C.

1. Jim 59

I just miss the old Register, when headlines were snappy, accurate and often funny without straining to be so. I guess it was the era of Lester Haines (RIP) and his contemporaries. The Register, it seemed to me, was popping out top quality stuff. And the waybackmachine seems to agree, broadly speaking.

Times change, and the wacky humour has petered out somewhat. No problem with that. And I know I am in no position to lecture professional writers, especially when the stuff is free. And in any case the articles themselves are fine. But these headlines are... well, embarrassing. Sorry to critisize an old friend but in my view, they simply make your front page an unintelligible mess, give it an air of desperation and discourage further reading. Dear headline writer: (a) remember that brevity is the soul of wit, (b) no more multi-sentence headlines and (c) go easy on the patois.

On the other hand, if the Reg readership is sky rocketing, then shut ma' mouth.

2. Not also known as SC

Winter on the Moon

Never realised that the Moon had seasons. Can anyone explain how that works?

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Re: Winter on the Moon

Well, it's got an axial inclination of a degree and a half or so, so there must be some minor seasonal effect. But not a lot, I suspect.

2. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

The article mentions seasons for Mars, not the moon. As the moon's axial tilt is only 1.5° seasonal effects are small but two weeks of sunshine followed by two weeks of darkness make the lunar day cycle so extreme that they need nuclear power to scrape the frost off the windscreen.

1. Not also known as SC
        Facepalm

@Flocke

Thank you. I completely missed that sentence when I read the article the first time. I though it was still talking about the Moon rover not Opportunity.

2. oldfartuk

So you think the problem with Curiosity might be down to lack of screen deicer?

3. DropBear

That's a weird way to spell "Mars"...

1. Not also known as SC
        Angel

@dropbear

My spell checker never flagged it up so it must be right!

3. Potemkine! Silver badge
    Trollface

So, did China build a movie studio to mimic the Moon surface? Also, could any conspirationist tell me if the Moon is flat too?

1. Twanky
      Trollface

did China build a movie studio to mimic the Moon surface?

Of course not! Somebody would have noticed differences between the NASA Moon surface and theirs. No, they're all in this together I tell you; they used the same studio.

As for: 'if the Moon is flat too?'. Bloody ridiculous! Whoever heard of flat cheese?

Oh, wait....

1. _LC_
        Alert

Re: did China build a movie studio to mimic the Moon surface?

If you can't tell a difference between this (real) surface, which looks like you'd expect it, and the one from videos/pictures of "astronauts" hopping around in the sand, you must be blind.

1. Wellyboot Silver badge
          Black Helicopters

After doing a little maths I think the 39m ELT optical telescope being built is not quite capable of resolving the Apollo LEM descent stages left on the surface. I get 9.3m optical resolution on the moons surface for the telescope and the LEM base is a little over 4m across (9m including legs)

I think well have to keep putting up with the Apollo conspiracy nuts until someone builds a telescope with much much better resolution.

1. Anonymous Coward Silver badge
            Joke

Well, obviously, somebody placed a mock-up of the fake lander on the moon just so that the telescopes (once built) will have some 'evidence' to look at.

They've really thought it through.

1. _LC_

With most footage getting - very unfortunately - lost and new material "materializing" out of nowhere, you folks apparently haven't.

2. oldfartuk

Can they not point Hubble at it? or is it knackered too ?

4. Arthur the cat Silver badge

Chang’e 4 … minimum temperature of -190 °C

What's the Mandarin for "Them Chicagoans are a bunch of soft jesses"?

5. oldfartuk

its something like

来自芝加哥的人软弱无力

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like