back to article Chinese tuck into Texas turtles

Conservation groups have warned that Texas's unprotected turtle species are at risk from unrestricted collection of snappers destined for Chinese gourmets, Reuters reports. According to figures from the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department (TPWD), "an average of 94,442 turtles per year are taken by dealers" - mostly for export …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

See?

It's just as I said last week when the dam/rat/snake buisness came up. The edacious appetite of the Chinese will cause the west major trouble.

Also, I would love to see video evidence of the goose-claim. That wouldda be a mean menacing mf of a turtle, eh?

2. Karim Bourouba

not quite

I remember my neighbours tortoise taking 2 days to chase down a nasty looking cucumber in 1991. So my heart goes out to these Texans, who are quite plainly living in fear.

3. Dillon Pyron

Alligator snapper

Ever seen one. Foul, nasty creature. Yes, they'll take geese, swans, ducks and other waterfowl. Large ones (some over 250 pounds) will even take some alligators.

But it takes as much as 60 years for them to reach that size. It takes about 15 years before they reach sexual maturity. Taking the smaller ones (the ones that will only take off fingers, not whole limbs) will eventually wipe the species out.

These are the same Chinese who have fought the protection of the leather back and hawk's bill turtles.

4. Danny

A word from Texas...

OK, I am all for protecting the turtles from getting wiped out. BUT, these things are everywhere around here. My family keeps a number of tanks stocked with catfish and bass and other fish here on my grandparent’s farm. The turtles take over our tanks and reproduce like mad. It's almost like you could walk across the pond just by stepping on turtle backs. I seriously doubt they are in danger just yet. Besides, if we run out there is always the endless supply of water moccasins.

Cheers to the Chinese!

5. Rachel

They aren't always sweet and cuddly

Ok, ok, so it is not a turtle. But you get the point.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-266564220525571346&q=rabbit+snake&total=1384&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

This topic is closed for new posts.