back to article Stop, collaborate, and listen: Microsoft Teams gets an Atlassian glisten

Microsoft has given its collaborative platform, Teams, some Atlassian affection this week while dropping another subtle hint to Skype for Business users that it is time to stop putting off that migration. Atlassian, responsible for the likes of Jira and Trello, hopped into bed with Teams arch-rival Slack back in July 2018. The …

1. Casca Silver badge

To bad that the MS Teams app is crap. There are still no good way to deploy it for businesses that is running Applocker.

1. DaLo
      1. dloughlin

Except that msi is not a good deployment option. It just installs Teams into the users local profile at login...which is hopeless with SRPs etc

1. DaLo
          WTF?

Yeah, you're right. On closer inspection even though it is an MSi (which is normally a great deployment option for Windows) the Teams installer doesn't actually install it. It just runs the installer and creates a separate copy of the program in APPDATA every time a user logs in. WTF?

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

Teams autoupdates into the local profile as well. There's no way around it.

2. BillG
      WTF?

Jira Madness

...allow Teams users to have all that Jira Server incident-tracking goodness.

As someone familiar with Jira, this is clearly a use of the word "goodness" that I'm not familiar with.

2. TRT Silver badge

So many businesses looking to use a lightweight, always-on, runs nicely in the background, app for voice, video and chat communication as a replacement for those expensive POTS leased-lines...

Well, it's not so bad, I guess. I mean people will email you to set up a time to call you over your VVOIP application now. And you can port the old POTS numbers into your VVOIP application, if you can accept the resource drain and actually trust the app isn't going to quietly go cryogenic on you when it's backgrounded.

Of course, you could devise a small, always-on, hard/firmware dedicated client that just lists on your desk and runs nothing but the instant communications aspect of Teams. With a simplex privacy option too - say an earpiece so that only the called user can hear the caller.

3. Charlie Clark Silver badge

With all that collaborative fun on offer, one might almost wonder why Microsoft doesn't simply buy Atlassian and be done with it.

Probably because it would almost certainly invite regulatory scrutiny due to consolidation. This kind of tie up, however, will suit companies already running both teams and Jira and will be broadly weclomed, except by Slack.

1. Zippy´s Sausage Factory

Also, with Atlassian being Australian, and the recent Australian data security laws, I suspect Microsoft might be a teensy bit wary of putting themselves into that jurisdiction.

Although they could just buy them, move all the development staff to Redmond and close that department in Australia, I suppose.

4. The Original Steve

Better the devil you know

For all the moaning of SfB, personally I love it compared to the Teams client.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Better the devil you know

Adding to that the usual time it takes to roll out anything in my current job, I guess we will have S4B for another decade or so... (we are still using mainframe architecture for most business critical stuff, migration is under way - from assembler to Cobol...)

5. dloughlin

It would be useful if Teams actually worked as a phone system!

6. Dwarf

Yet another MS app that is not being used by businesses, so they have to hook up to the industry leading platforms so that they can show some business users.

If only they had listened to customers instead of know-nothing internal experts, then the downhill spiral could have been avoided.

You have to wonder if anyone inside MS has put 2+2 together and worked out that the future is not Microsoft shaped.

7. apreset
    Joke

Nice, nice, baby

Great article title.

8. FozzyBear
    Devil

Great thanks El Reg! now I have that bloody song stuck in my head.

1. 1752

To Cold

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7JS4ouLVxc

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Red dot

Teams shows a red dot over its task tray icon when my status is Busy. It also shows a red dot if someone sends me a message. This is great because if I am busy, there’s no prompt that I have a new message.

Really great.

10. jeremylloyd

Not feature parity

You can't add non-tenant Microsoft accounts to Teams without a lot of pain, and them being added to the Users list in the Admin portal. That's a real pain when you have contacts across multiple tenants.

Also, we use Polycom desk phones integrated with S4B. How's that going to work with Teams?

Definitely not feature parity yet.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Not feature parity

You can set up guest users so they can be added by anyone you wish. You also don't need to add them to a team to set up a 'skype' meeting with them you can just send them the link.

Many Skype phones are also teams compatible or can be made so with a software update.

11. Downside

Whats MS Teams like on Linux?

Anyone? Linux?

12. Trixr

No way to migrate data

Yeah, until MS provides a way to migate data out of Teams, no thanks. It's probably fine if you're a small shop, but if you're ever likely to merge or split your Azure environment due to company changes, there's no way to get data out of Teams and migrate it elsewhere.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like