back to article Judge! snuffs! Yahoo!'s attempt! to! settle! 2013! megahack! class-action!

A US court has nixed Yahoo!'s attempt to settle a class-action lawsuit over the 2013 megahack, saying it's fatally flawed. Judge Lucy Koh of the California Northern District in San Jose ruled [PDF] that a settlement proposed in October of 2018 was not acceptable, particularly in regards to the share of attorney fees and the …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"...earmark a whopping $35 in payments for attorney fee..."

Not a lot of money?

Also the last paragraph of the judge summing up is repeated elsewhere in the article.

Tips and corrections link? Yeah I would use it if it opened a simple web form to contact the author/corrections team but it tries to open windows mail which I don't use and can't be bothered to log in to my webmail just to send a correction.

1. paulf
      Meh

I have to agree with AC on this. When I'm reading at work I can't send personal emails so a webform would be much more convenient. If you're worried about Spammers abusing the webform you could just insist on reports requiring an El Reg Commentard login. At least then you know a correction submission from someone with a Commentard badge ought to be relatively reliable.

2. elvisimprsntr

Put all the lawyers on the B-Ark and send them ahead to populate the next planet.

Ref: https://hitchhikers.fandom.com/wiki/Golgafrinchan_Ark_Fleet_Ship_B

"The Golgafrincham Ark Fleet Ship B was a starship designed to relocate the (largely redundant) useless part of the population from the planet of Golgafrincham."

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Just make sure not to deport the telephone sanitizers!

3. Clunking Fist

Where're all the comments...

... oh that's right: I'm the only person still using Yahoo!

1. DMcDonnell

Re: Where're all the comments...

Automatic account creation:

Sign up for service from several major ISPs and they automatically create an email account for you and quite often that newly created email accnt is actually hosted on Yahoo owned serves and not at the ISP. AT&T being a prime example. And with this emial address and password that ISP created for you it's possible login and change everything in account management settings for ISP.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Optional

"By the Court’s count, Plaintiffs’ lodestar [fee calculation] covers 143 attorneys from 32 firms," Koh noted.

"This Court only authorized five law firms to work on the instant MDL case. On February 1, 2018, the Court ordered “[o]ther that the Plaintiffs’ Executive Committee, no other law firms shall work on this MDL without prior approval of the Court."

Surely one person from each of the other 27 firms should be wearing an orange jump suit rather soon?

1. Jimmy2Cows Silver badge

Re: Optional

Sounds like blatant contempt to me. Make an example of the lot of em, fucking parasites one and all.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

can't blame the lawyers for this proposal

they only work in their own best interest... Ah, yes, well, also, on instructions from their clients :)

1. Jimmy2Cows Silver badge

Re: can't blame the lawyers for this proposal

Who would you blame then...?

This is 100% on the lawyers, screwing their clients to maximise their own returns. Scum. Yeah it's always been like this, but it definitely should not be.

6. Jimmy2Cows Silver badge

Go Koh!

Nice to see she's still kicking arse.

Now let's see some contempt proceedings for the unauthorised firms.

7. Mike Moyle

"Among the holes the judge shot in the proposed deal was a lack of accounting for exactly how much money would go into the settlement and how the various costs were adding up. She notes that no total figure was presented for the settlement, and that the deal doesn't explain how the costs for credit monitoring service, administration of the settlement payouts, or service of notices would be calculated. Without that information, Koh says, it is impossible to decide if the customers are getting a fair deal."

<Yahoo!> "First you complain because we didn't keep things secret, NOW you complain that we ARE keeping things secret! Would you MAKE UP YOUR MIND!??!"</Yahoo!>

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I think Private Eye covered this a while back; they (or someone), reported that a stitch-up between Yahoo and the legal firms was in the off'ing; with the lawyers pocketing much of the money, Yahoo getting a big kickback, and the poor gits like us getting nothing.

I say us, since basically everyone who ever had a Yahoo account in the entire history of Yahoo had their account hacked multiple times

This story just makes that report official.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like