back to article Just keep slurping: HMRC adds two million taxpayers' voices to biometric database

HMRC's database of Brits' voiceprints has grown by 2 million since June – but campaign group Big Brother Watch has claimed success as 160,000 people turned the taxman's requests down. The Voice ID scheme, which requires taxpayers to say a key phrase that is recorded to create a digital signature, was introduced in January 2017 …

1. DuncanLarge Silver badge

My imagination

In my imagination I feel like Victor Meldrew reading about this in the newspaper in his kitchen, mug in hand saying "What in the name of bloody hell"

1. JimboSmith Silver badge

Re: My imagination

That does make me feel better about the small fortune the accountants charge to do my tax. It's them on the Inland Revenue voice database and not me. Might use one of those speech synthesisers if I ever do have to and say I've got laryngitis so can't talk.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: My imagination

"Might use one of those speech synthesisers if I ever do have to and say I've got laryngitis so can't talk."

Darth Vader voice changer, preferably with the memorable phrase, "I find your lack of faith disturbing" :)

2. Phil Endecott

Handy hint: when it asks “do you want to record your voice print?”, a reply of “ABSOLUTELY FUCKING NOT” is successfully understood to mean “no thank you very much”.

3. Kevin Johnston

They've been deleted?

Yeah, let's go with that then

1. Woodnag

Re: They've been deleted?

Exactly. HMRC's copy is deleted. But the data that was pushed to GCHQ etc on arrival won't be.

Intelligence services won't even delete bio data, even if ordered too, even if audited. There will always be a copy somewhere else, and the storage requirements are tiny compared to AV recordings.

So yes, those illegally obtained genetic swab data that UK police collected, and were ordered by ECHR to dispose of will never actually be deleted.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Irksome

I hadn't previously heard of this, but this sound utterly creepy and invasive and is unbelievable that anyone even considered it could be implemented.

And it really boils my blood that organisations like HMRC refer to us plebs as customers. I find that really offensive - I am not a customer of theirs. I buy no product or service from them, and I have no real desire to want to deal with them.

As someone who runs a small business I know what a customer is, and I fully understand how to respect and treat them, and that they can easily pull their business away from me and go elsewhere. None of that matches into HMRC domain at all.

1. Adrian 4

Re: Irksome

No, as with most such organisations, we're not the customers. We're the product.

1. nematoad
        Unhappy

"...we're not the customers. We're the product."

I disagree, we are not the product. That would involve taking something and changing it to add value. HMRC are using us as a source of raw materials, just like a gold mine. Which, I suppose, we are the them.

2. dansbar

I'm glad someone else mentioned it. HMRC referring to their victims as customers was the bit that raised my eyebow too.

5. Zog_but_not_the_first
    Trollface

Tempting...

"If you are looking for ransom payment on account for the next fiscal year, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my daughter go now allow my claim for a new duck house, that'll be the end of it. "

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I guess that I'll be one of the next batch...

to get their voice recorded by Big Brother aka HMRC/GCHQ when I try to speak to a human (remember them?) about the tax that they owe me now that I've retired.

Let battle commence...

7. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"thousands of people are reclaiming their rights by getting their Voice IDs deleted,"

Maybe.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How do you opt out exactly?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

All our data is stored securely

until the day when it's been stolen, but hey, it's not gonna happen to us, nosir.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: All our data is stored securely

Who was that outsourced to?

Oh. You don't have an employee list. Or any idea who owns them today?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Actually, they're behind the times

Just how many voice prints do you think Amazon and Google can provide nowadays, in volume?

As yet, no questions asked. Which raises a question :)

1. Velv
      Terminator

Re: Actually, they're behind the times

Not just Amazon and Google (and Apple with Siri), but I believe several of the major UK banks have voice ID systems in place.

Now I'm not suggesting just because the banks are owned by different governments around the world that any of that data may leak to any of the national security services (cough, Qatar).

11. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Gimp

Because they've got to get that Govt ID card scheme populated somehow.

And clean data for such a very large DB is very hard to come by.

The very thin end of a very long wedge.

I'd say "F**k right off" but that would also be a recording of my voice.

12. HippyChippy

Opt Out?...

I was 'railroaded' into this while submitting my tax return last year, and had to go along with the voice recording before I could proceed any further.

Has anyone had any luck on the HMRC website in finding where you can 'opt out' and delete your voice? I haven't looked yet but assume it will be sneaky and tucked away in small print somewhere, but Hey I could be wrong.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Opt Out?...

"I was 'railroaded' into this while submitting my tax return last year"

When asked to say "my voice is my passport" the trick was to either say nothing, or to say something completely different and let the system decide it couldn't match your response to the passphrase. At that point it would let you carry on with your call and tell you to try and register for voice ID next time. I opted for saying "I refuse", in case they were building up a database of responses the system couldn't interpret...

I personally don't trust voice ID systems to be reliable, or unhackable, so I'd have had to resort to snail mail if the above hadn't worked...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like