back to article Under Armour and Virgin Galactic team up so tourists can stay on-trend throughout white-knuckle ride into space

Fresh from its successful jaunt to space, Virgin Galactic has clambered into a pair of sweatpants with sportswear firm Under Armour. Under Armour, notable for flogging premium exercise clothes to people unlikely to see the inside of a gym any time soon, is now the "Exclusive Technical Spacewear Partner" for Richard Branson's …

1. Jay Lenovo

Finally, a company addressing the issue of "space junk" and how to contain it.

2. Oengus

Underwear

Under Armour is the special underwear being developed for the space tourists to stop leakage when they Crap themselves during take-off or weightlessness. The main purpose is to ensure that the cleaning bill for their outer spacesuit is reduced.

1. Mark 85

Re: Underwear

Maybe Pampers didn't think of it or didn't bid high enough. They do have the experience for this.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I think that depends.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> "...special underwear being developed for the space tourists to stop leakage when they Crap themselves..."

But it won't do much for the spinning chunks, tho. Get ready for the Vomit Comet 2.0.

3. Muscleguy
    Boffin

Comfort is important

I don't exercise in it and I don't frequent gyms, I'm a distance runner out in the weather (sleet on Monday). But I wear technical t-shirts as undershirts because they are so damn comfortable and I can sweat and not show sweat patches. Also the UA ones I have are made with those ultra smooth fibres so they can be sweated into a few times before beginning to smell of anything at all. In the interests of fairness HH and others use those fibres too. Those I do run in, twice before washing.

As a lifelong distance runner of some vintage I can remember what it was to run in nylon split shorts and cotton singlets and t-shirts in the muggy heat of Auckland, NZ and let me tell you the advent of technical sweat wicking gear has been an absolute godsend. I give the vast majority of it the ultimate accolade: I don't notice I'm wearing it. Whether that be in what passes for heat here in Dundee in the Non Winter or when the mercury is firmly sub zero with added windchill (oh yes). Technical gear is more wind resistant than other stuff and slow to wet and quick to dry and unlike cotton doesn't get heavy when damp.

Oh and I bought my UA stuff cheap on Amazon as remaindered stock. I did not pay top dollar for it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Comfort is important

That "technical sweat wicking gear" does have one problem. It absorbs body odour and never lets it go.

Oy...

1. Duffy Moon

Re: Comfort is important

It has another problem: the tiny fibres which are washed off and ultimately end up in the sea.

4. ffRewind

Must be called Future Armour surely.

1. W.S.Gosset

Goddammit! It's 2019! WHERE ARE MY FLYING UNDERPANTS!?!?!

1. m0rt

Obviously not frequented Tom Jones concerts....

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Flying Underpants?" Sounds like something Bowie would have done.

5. Warm Braw

Rocket jockeys

Sound much more attractive as a brand of space shorts...

6. Velv
    Go

I always remember Captain Mike Bannister's comments about Concorde:

"It is an environment whose other occupants dress in space suits, while our customers have been relaxing in lounge suits."

1. m0rt

Now there is an interesting fashion trend.

Under Armour Lounge Suits....

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Something Larry Laffer could have used back in the day.

7. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

Under Armour-designed clothing will only "maximise personal performance" so long as the wearer remains inside SpaceShipTwo at all times.

... much in the same way that a t-shirt with a picture of a bow-tie & tuxedo is perfectly adequate provided I never actually venture to a black-tie dinner

8. Kubla Cant

Under Armour - most stupid name since Superdry JPN.

9. MJI Silver badge

What I do like

is that the founders much prefered the UK spelling of Armour.

10. MJI Silver badge

But their logo

reminds me of the ATV logo

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like