back to article SGI shows off Molecule concept machine

While supercomputer maker Silicon Graphics was showing off its existing Altix lines of Xeon and Itanium servers at the SC08 supercomputing show in Austin, Texas, this week, the most interesting thing the company touted was not yet a real computer, but a concept system, called Molecule. The Molecule machine takes a few pages …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ze

SGI answer to bluegene?

SGI answer to blue gene?

With the rise of low power chips again , it seems to me like IBM might have to look at commodity chips for bluegene. IBM isn't afraid to use another manufactuers chips though.

I wonder how CELL based supercomputers are doing though.

2. Anton Ivanov
    Thumb Up

Ahem, finally

Better later then never.

I have been expecting to see something along these lines using Atom or the latest Geode for a while now (even Via for some apps).

What is quite strange here is why they did not go for an evaporative cooling solution. When looking at this Atom lattice my first thoughts are "freon... evaporates...". This will give a much better bang-for-the-buck at this density.

3. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Looks uncannily like HAL

Just needs some orange mood lightning.

4. Brian
    Pirate

Dave, my mind is going. I can feel it.

@ Francis Boyle

"Looks uncannily like HAL"

I was thinking the same thing. I wonder if the design was deliberate, to that end...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Architected

Can we please stop using architect as a verb it's doing my f* head in. And no, language does not evolve through ignorance of its use. If you want to advance the state of the language, write a novel.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like