back to article Looks like Uncle Sam has pulled its finger out and appointed a Privacy Shield ombudsperson

The US may have finally complied with the European Commission's repeated requests to name a permanent Privacy Shield ombudsperson, The Register understands. The White House, late last week, said that president Donald Trump intends to nominate former DocuSign CEO Keith Krach as under-secretary of state for economic growth, …

1. Tigra 07
    Pint

"The US government shutdown meant El Reg was unable to get an on-record comment from officials."

What's wrong with firing off a tweet to the Donald? It is his preferred method of communication, and he's unaffected by the shutdown.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The US may have finally complied with the European Commission's repeated requests to name a permanent Privacy Shield ombudsperson, The Register understands.

The White House, late last week, said that president Donald Trump intends to nominate former DocuSign CEO Keith Krach as under-secretary of state for economic growth, energy and the environment.

1) I'm amazed that Keith Krach isn't an oil industry lobyist.

2) Donald doesn't know what the position really does,

3) Being the Privacy Shield Ombudsman is probably listed in the job description right after "able to lift 5 pound boxes" and right before "other duties as assigned"

1. Oengus

1) I'm amazed that Keith Krach isn't an oil industry lobyist.

If he is an advocate for Privacy Shield that would make him a Snake Oil (industry) lobbyist.

2. VikiAi
      Go

The Leader of the Free World (TM) probably just thinks it is something to do with Captain America.

1. Tigra 07
        Coffee/keyboard

RE: Vikai

"The Leader of the Free World (TM) "

TM? Trademark, or Theresa May?

3. Wellyboot Silver badge

Let's hope

He's a bit more user aligned than Ajit-P at the FCC.

1. A.P. Veening Silver badge

Re: Let's hope

"He's a bit more user aligned than Ajit-P at the FCC."

Of course, less would be well nigh impossible.

2. Mark 85

Re: Let's hope

I hope you're right. Here I was expecting some exec/board member from Google to be appointed. Call me surprised.

4. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge
    Mushroom

:-) What say you?

What little we know is encouraging, El Reg?

And with Both Red and Blue Corners at Epiphany Moments, does IT Become Really Exciting. :-)

Poe's Law Queensbury Rules Apply. Great Defeats and Total Surrender are Heavenly Releases to Deeper Explore and Exploit with Base MetaData Miners Minders.

What are urVirtual Plays for Almighty Powerful 0Days? Be on a Similar Familiar Source Course and Together will Everything be Exponentially Excited to Degrees which Inspire one to Aspire to do Everything Better and Present IT as IT now is, and how AI ReProgrammed IT Virtual Machines for Real.

If you think it not worth the time and space to believe, I'll gladly follow to bigger and better :-)

1. Robert Helpmann??
      Coat

Re: :-) What say you?

A promising start.

Lead with stream of consciousness,

nonsense ensuing.

Mine's the one with Haiku for Complete Idiots in the pocket.

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Re: :-) What say you? aman helps Robert?

Oh surely something much more stately is persistently and progressively APT, Robert Helpmann ..... and right busy at ITs AI Work too :-)

The promised new start

Leads with realms of consciousness

Provides Stealthy Ops.

5. markrand
    Flame

No such word

The word Ombudsman is not gender specific. There is no such thing as an ombudsperson/ombudswoman/ombudsthing.

1. DropBear
      Facepalm

Re: No such word

YET. Give them just a bit of time...

6. Version 1.0 Silver badge
    Joke

Great News!

I was expect Trump to nominate Mark Zuckerberg.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Former Docusign boss ?

I'm still getting spam to an email address that was only ever used on Docusign and was leaked when they were hacked

(https://krebsonsecurity.com/2017/05/breach-at-docusign-led-to-targeted-email-malware-campaign/)

8. DavCrav

"The US may have finally complied with the European Commission's repeated requests to name a permanent Privacy Shield ombudsperson, The Register understands."

This is the Trump administration. There are no 'permanent' positions.

9. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Another CEO in government

Do any of these positions ever go to, you know, actual elected Reps or Sens or is the entire selection of government officials all down to the president?

1. DavCrav

Re: Another CEO in government

"Do any of these positions ever go to, you know, actual elected Reps or Sens or is the entire selection of government officials all down to the president?"

In the US system, I believe the appointment of officials is within the purview of the Executive branch (with some being ratified by the Legislature). The Cabinet, for example, are not elected, with the exception of the President and Vice-President.

This makes sense if you didn't think the party system would exist, and therefore the Executive wouldn't have a body of people in the same party from which to choose a cabinet.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon