back to article Slack to fend off the collaboration competition with... a new logo

Hipster laptop lids are in for a scraping as messaging-for-millennials platform, Slack, has taken a beating with the rebranding stick. And it's going as well as you might expect. A blog posting on the company's site insisted that this isn't just "change for the sake of change" but was instead an evolution that would do the …

1. Herring`

What's wrong with IRC?

1. IneptAdept

Its not new!!!!!!!

Why would you want to use a well implemented version of the service you want!!!!

Why wouldnt you want to use a web based version and pay for it ?????

Why wouldn't you want to use a service that kills off the hooks you are using randomly ?

Why wouldn't you just use a BBS

2. Jon 37

In a business, it's a pain to set up and manage a private IRC server. Getting Slack is easy and free.

It's also much easier to use the Slack client than an IRC client, which helps get people to adopt it and reduces support overhead.

1. John Robson Silver badge

Last time I ran an IRC server it took about 5 minutes to get up and running, never touched i again in three years

2. #define INFINITY -1

Agreed on the server side. Client woes are usually psychological.

1. Jon 37

> Last time I ran an IRC server it took about 5 minutes to get up and running, never touched i again in three years

OK, so it takes you 5 minutes to set up an IRC server. But it sounds like you'd done it before, it would take someone who hadn't done it much longer. Also: Did it enforce usernames/passwords to prevent impersonation? Did it either integrate with Active Directory to authenticate those usernames/passwords, or have a simple way for new users to create their own account and reset lost passwords? Did it have documentation so that non-technical users can use it? Did you choose a preferred Windows IRC client and recommend it to users? Did you figure out how users outside the office are going to access it from laptops and phones? Remember that we have secretaries and managers in the office, not just engineers. All the above are important to our users. Slack provides easy solutions to all the above issues, that would take hours or days with IRC.

> Client woes are usually psychological.

That attitude is why open-source has such a problem getting to mainstream usage.

IRC clients are usually complicated and often hard to use. There are all these arcane slash commands, and/or arcane menu choices. For someone who's used to them, that's fine - there is a lot of power and flexibility there. But put a secretary or even a just-graduated programmer in front of it and they're likely to get confused and just not use it. You can claim that other people are the problem, it works for you, but in a business environment that doesn't wash. You have to provide a solution that is easy enough to use.

Slack (and its competitors such as MS Teams) provide a cut-down, secure, easy-to-use, easy-to-deploy IRC equivalent, which non-technical people can easily use, and which provides enough features to get the business benefits that IRC would give.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

File transfers on IRC are shit.

IRC doesn't have VOIP built in.

You can't add people to a group chat in IRC.

IRC doesn't have a NAZI duck logo.

IRC doesn't support inline images.

And most important of all:

GIFs

1. John Robson Silver badge

Who needs file transfers for a chat - just drop a link to your local ftp server.

VoIP can be replaced by talking with people, or any other VoIP solution. Not every tool needs to do everything.

You just sent them a note with the room in it... how hard can it be?

And no inline images make for a much cleaner chat... in slack mine are generally unexpanded (and the chat is better for it).

2. Locky
    Thumb Up

It's been a while

I've missed Logowatch

3. Kay Burley ate my hamster

Proprietary private newsgroups

Lets all run a NNTP server.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Proprietary private newsgroups

Bonus points for abolishing file shares and sharing internal documents through multipart RAR archive and PAR files.

2. #define INFINITY -1

Re: Proprietary private newsgroups

El Reg is the new NNTP for me.

4. colinb

smoking

Wow, looks like teletubby vomit.

Got rid of the Hash? These guys look to be smoking copious amounts of the stuff.

1. mosw

Re: smoking

Yes, it's a real cock-up. Actually 4 of them.

1. Anonymous Custard
        Thumb Down

Re: smoking

And the article doesn't even have the best (or rather worst) part - on mobile they decided that a background in a shade of bruise purple would be just the thing to top everything off.

So basically they've taken a logo that they were worried about people cocking up the implementation of, and more or less pre-cocked it up for them.

Absolutely awful. You've had your fun, now can we have the old logo back please?

5. Number6

Given that I'm not the one paying for it, the product isn't bad, better than Teams because it's truly cross-platform. As for the logo, I'll refer people to Dogbert's Brown Ring of Quality. https://dilbert.com/strip/1996-06-11

Wow, over 22 years ago.

1. W.S.Gosset
      Facepalm

so much has changed

6. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

Looks like...

Four Microsoft-colored dicks trying to screw you over in every direction...

1. phuzz Silver badge

Re: Looks like...

It's a dick swastika.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bland shite

I'm not saying that the old one was outstanding, but it was simple and effective and I kind of liked the overlapping colours effect and skewed angle- which, of course, are the parts they took out.

The new logo manages to be more complicated, yet much blander. It's not even *interestingly* boring.

Of course, there's only one true logo for slack anyway.

1. Jay Lenovo
      Thumb Down

Re: Bland shite

Doesn't it scream "Searchable Log of All Conversation and Knowledge" ???

...or maybe I have it confused with "Intro to Microsoft Paint"

8. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge
    Boffin

One good thing about it

"We’ll not bore you with the design thinking and the meaning of every angle and curve of the new logo"

Thank fuck for that, because we all have enough wank to deal with in our own lives and especially with a brexit sprinkling on top.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: One good thing about it

Hey look! Some cockwomble has forced Brexit into the discussion.

Who'd have imagined that would happen.

1. #define INFINITY -1

The greatest demonstration of patriotism at work is the assumption on a site, read the world round, that anyone would care what is happening in your country... and take sides.

The curious thing is that the good Netizens of the world actually do. And make US or UK politics out to be more important than corruption like in good old RSA.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I'm British. I have strong views on the subject of whether/how we should leave the EU.

I have even stronger views on people who think it is necessary to post political bollocks in a non-politics thread. People who think that, I know, people will really appreciate a Brexit/Trump joke on this thread. Bastards, every man Jack of them.

9. Muckminded

Snack

Looks like a rainbow in a blender.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

When did Reg get so clean? Report the real thing this icon looks like please

11. MiguelC Silver badge
  12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why does is the URL "slack_logo_ibm"?

Is this a reference I'm not getting? I don't see IBM mentioned in the article.

13. Dwarf

Its a logo, who cares what it looks like.- although on the other side, it has taken me a bit longer to find the app over the last couple of days.

14. Andrew Norton

call it what it is

"And so the familiar hash (no, we shan't call it a "pound sign" because we are British and keeping £ on keyboards has caused enough trouble over the years)"

So call it what it properly is, it's an octothorpe. Not that hard a name to remember.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: call it what it is

"Octothorpe" was apparently invented by engineers at Bell Labs during the 1960s.

Despite its quasi-technical sound, I don't see any evidence for wide acceptance of that as its name outwith that context- let alone common agreement that this is the "correct" or "technical" term for the symbol. I bet 99% of people have never even *heard* of it!

(Or did I just miss the joke going whoosh loudly overhead...?!)

1. James Scholes

Re: call it what it is

It's a sharp. It's existed on sheet music for literally hundreds of years.

Sharptag!

15. Zarno
    FAIL

Getting shades of...

Getting shades of the MSN butterfly from that.

I don't think that's what they were going for though...

1. quxinot

Re: Getting shades of...

A flyswatter and some blur and perhaps that's the effect they wanted?

16. Carpet Deal 'em

I can understand some of their arguments against the old logo, but this one's just garbage. Whereas the octothorpe was merely overly colorful, this one's just far too busy. It might work if it were just the lines without the dots, though.

17. Roj Blake Silver badge

Not so bad.

In fairness, it's not as bad as the short-lived OGC logo of a few years back.

Or London 2012 for that matter.

18. ICPurvis47
    WTF?

Reminds me...

Do you remember when Lloyd Grossman used to host "Through the Keyhole"? About that time I was working for a large electrical company (which may or may not have been called GEC), when we were taken over by the french company Alsthom. Some time later they reinvented themselves as ALSTOM, but the O was replaced with a weird spiral symbol (https://seeklogo.com/vector-logo/300509/alstom), which rapidly became referred to as "Down the Plughole". This turned out to be a very accurate prediction of what was to come, the Rugby site is now an out-of-town shopping experience and a residential housing estate. I can hardly recognise the old place now. Incidentally, the logo was in four bitmaps, AL, ST, "Plughole", and M. By rearranging the bitmaps in 1-4-3-2 order, it spelt ALMOST.

19. SeanEllis

99% Invisible

... (the podcast) did an excellent episode about logo design - https://99percentinvisible.org/episode/negative-space-logo-design-michael-bierut/

Lots of good stuff in there, including the inviolable rule that you should never, under any circumstances, design a logo that at any distance looks even a little bit like a swastika.

Slack are a sponsor of 99% Invisible.

20. W.S.Gosset
    Windows

"pound sign"

Ehhh... in traditional unix-land it's called a Crunch.

Still have a sharp and amusing memory of the admin snapping at me at my first ever shell script on my first day of ever seeing unix, "NOT bang twiddle crunch : crunch bang twiddle! [for GOD's sake!...]"

(#!~ , which unix hands will recognise as (ugly but useful sh hackery) beginning of first line (last char only under unusual circs))

21. STOP_FORTH

Before and after

I like the Reg logowatch articles, but why don't they show us the old logos? I know this stuff is only a quick search away, but even so.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like