back to article Cray's pre-exascale Shasta supercomputer gets energy research boffins hot under collar

Cray has announced Shasta – a near-composable planned supercomputer supporting multiple CPUs, GPUs and interconnects, including its new high-speed Slingshot Ethernet-compatible fabric that fixes the noisy neighbour network congestion problem. Shasta is designed to run multiple workload types: traditional HPC-like modelling and …

1. hammarbtyp

The important question

But does it run Far Cry?

(Keeping Memes alive since 1996)

1. JassMan

Re: The important question

Given that FarCry3 onwards runs on multiple platforms there is very likely an emulator that will run it. I suspect that even the minimal configuration might be a tad overkill. With the $146M config, you could probably run real time weather for for the entire play locale (if not a continent) at the same time.

2. Waseem Alkurdi

No, the real question is whether it runs Fortnite/PUBG/<insert stupid overhyped overfed kids' game here>.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

not with every setting Maxed no

2. eswan

Where do you put the quarters?

(google image search for 'shasta vending machine')

3. Jay Lenovo

Super Cooled Rush

Shasta + DoE = New innovative energy drinks

1. Daniel von Asmuth
      Boffin

Re: Super Cooled Rush

National Energy Research Department buys A.I. supercomputer that will research its own energy consumption.

Far Cray? Yes, we can make America great hot jungle again.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RGB lighting ?

Just asking (sarcasm, here) if it does RGB lighting, because, frankly, there is no point in having that fancy decorum on the set of racks.

It's just retarded, they could have spared the cost. It's a computer FFS, not a bloody art gallery !

1. MJI Silver badge

Re: RGB lighting ?

It's a Cray, Cray are stylish.

Looks good on promotional material as well.

1. Lars Johansson

Re: RGB lighting ?

It's a water cooled Cray - but where's the backlit waterfall feature?

5. h4rm0ny

Major win for AMD

To get such a major and efficiency and performance critical project swapping to use AMD's Epyc line (essentially the Pro version of Threadripper) is a big PR boost for AMD. A project like this really knows what they're doing so if they think AMD is the way to go, they undoubtedly are right.

1. P0l0nium

Re: Major win for AMD

The government always hands these things out in strict rotation. The next one will be "Power" based :-)

6. Tempest8008

At first glance

I thought it said it was "near-composTable" and I was all, "Wow. Cray is really listening to the hippies." Then I started reading about the power requirements...

7. Michael Habel

Pahh forget about Crysis. All I want to know is does it come in Limon-Lime?*

*For the Tea drinkers on the wrong side of the Road. Shasta was / is? a Diet Soda that dates back to the halcyon days of 8-bit computing, and Mtv (e.g. before it started to suck). So I guess this also a slime-line system as well?

8. sgrier23

Wow! Does it run WIndows???

9. lukewarmdog
    Happy

Optional Alexa enhancement

Would be so cool if they could just ask it questions:

"Shasta, show me the weather prediction for the next five days"

"Shasta, what are the chances of a sharknado happening"

"Shasta, what's the weather like over that place North Korea first missiles from, just zoom in and see what's going on"

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like