back to article Bipartisan Kumbaya: President Trump turns Obama's open govt data policy into law

President Trump on Monday signed legislation that attempts to make US government data more accessible for people and machines, though his predecessor deserves much of the credit. The OPEN Government Data Act is contained within the the Foundations for Evidence-Based Policymaking Act (H.R.4174, or FEPA), which attempts to …

1. Nattrash

Here, have a cheese burger...

Very good cheese burger... Excellent cheese burger!

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Happy

Re: Here, have a cheese burger...

I like cheeseburger!

1. Comments are attributed to your handle
        Trollface

Re: Here, have a cheese burger...

* cheeseberder

2. jmch Silver badge
    Happy

Open Government

always reminds me of this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdVFD1MuPrU

1. DontFeedTheTrolls
      Pint

Re: Open Government

I can't actually reach youtube from my current location but I'm pretty sure I know what this is. Have a beer

3. bombastic bob Silver badge
    Alien

Let's see if the policy is widely supported at NASA

see icon

1. 100113.1537

Re: Let's see if the policy is widely supported at NASA

And the EPA.....

4. Derek Jones

Wot, evidence-based software engineering?

No need to panic, software people, there's not a lot of evidence to worry about: http://shape-of-code.coding-guidelines.com/2018/12/28/foundations-for-evidence-based-policymaking-act-of-2017/

5. hammarbtyp

Does that include easier access to tax returns?

6. GX5000
    Trollface

Who gets the gold star?

"Though his predecessor deserves much of the credit"

Yes, it is indeed called the Johnson Space Center, not the Kennedy Space Center....

Or have they switched it around again?

Politics are like the nastiest bits of any and all projects.

1. Teiwaz

Re: Who gets the gold star?

Yes, it is indeed called the Johnson Space Center, not the

'cause apollo looked like someones johnson?

2. fishman

Re: Who gets the gold star?

Kennedy space center is in Florida - Cape Canaveral.

Johnson space center is in Huston, Texas.

7. ratfox
    Devil

Fake news!

It's essentially impossible that Trump continued and reaffirmed a policy started by Obama. This can't be correct.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Fake news!

It's essentially impossible that Trump continued and reaffirmed a policy started by Obama. This can't be correct.

Obviously, he was told that it was the OPPOSITE of Obama's policy by someone.

8. Mike Moyle

Does the "Foundations for Evidence-Based Policymaking Act" have anything in it that actually requires Congress to make evidence-based policy?

...or ban Congress from forbidding certain researches which might provide evidence for that "evidence-based policy" by federal agencies or organizations receiving federal funds?

I'm guessing that the answer to both questions is "no".

1. Eddy Ito
      Angel

Fear not, the gut-driven dictums and cynical fear mongering will continue unabated as evidence-based policy makes no mention of the quantity, quality, or speciosity of the evidence. These are, after all, Congresscritters and TLA agency burrocrats we're talking about here.

9. veti Silver badge

The summary is here. Heck, you can read the full text if you like. I guess somebody should...

I read the summary, and I can see a number of quite glaring loopholes available to anyone who still doesn't want "evidence" to get in the way of their policymaking. For instance:

- Appoint a Chief Evaluation Officer who's sympathetic to your aims

- Stack the OMB's "advisory committee" with political allies

- Although you have to publish evidence in machine-readable format, there's nothing to say you can't change that format at will, thus making it basically impossible to compare figures from one year to the next. Or from one department to another, or one state or region to another...

Basically, it's like the constitution. Sounds fine in theory, but in practice it's only as good as the people who enforce it - and the executive basically gets to pick those.

10. Chairman of the Bored

Another Chief

Summary looks good. Law itself? TL;DR

As usual we get another Chief-something, which will create six Deputy CDO's. Each of these will need six Assistant Deputy CDOs. These will need compliance officers, policy analysts, financial analysts, budget analysts. Drug testers. Procurement people. Probably need a CIO for the CDO at that point. What the hell, might as well get a few hundred telephone sanitizers.

At this point each agency will have its own Open Data Fiefdom, each with its own standards. These of course will not be interoperable because its too hard to mate icebergs.

The Chairman's take: "Whether you want to grow or shrink Government, you need to understand it will metastasize like pancreatic cancer trippin' on growth hormones"

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like