back to article Beeb reprieves Xmas Top of the Pops

The BBC has quite righty done a U-turn on its shock decision to can the Top of the Pops Xmas special, and viewers will now be able to enjoy Fearne Cotton and Reggie Yates presenting the traditional count-down to the Yule number one. Auntie has further confirmed the pair will also front a TOTP New Year's Eve Special, featuring …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. DavCrav

Am I the only one who is confused?

"...a threat from The X Factor's Simon Cowell to buy the rights and take the show to the opposition."

Well, that's not a very good threat then: if you let me do it, I'll buy your programme from you and give it to somebody else. Hardly a threat when it requires you to agree, is it?

2. Steve Wehrle

A BBC Love-fest ?

With the BBC bringing out a single of Aled Jones and Terry Wogan singing "Little Drummer Boy" in December, it'll be the icing on BBC's (Xmas) cake if they get Number 1.

A good reason not to watch.

3. Ed

"Top of the Pops has never been bigger"

"Top of the Pops has never been bigger" - yet they're only doing two special programmes of it? Right.

4. Phill Sacre

@Ed

"Top of the pops has never been bigger" - they were probably just talking about the amount of hype this will generate...

5. Nick

Ferne AND Reggie?

Ferne and Reggie, on the same show, at the same time? Christ, it must be Christmas if both of them are turning up!

They should ask Jimmy "now then now then" Saville back though, that would be better.

6. Stuart
    Paris Hilton

<title>

Yet more reason for me to lock myself away over xmas and completely ignore the tv.

I wonder what Paris will be doing on xmas day?

7. Andrew Moore

Oh no...

Does this mean no Christmas TOTP2??? Where will I get my Greedies fix this year!!!!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Cowell Threat

TOTP is utter shite and nobody watches it. Cowell wants to buy the rights and sell them to ITV.

So heres a plan. Sell it to Cowell for a huge sum. If ITV can't afford to pay Cowell that amount then he's out of pocket and everybody's happy. If ITV are willing to cough up then they end up with a turkey that nobody watches and no advertising revenue and the BBC are happy.

Can't see a problem with that.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Rose tints

How many of those cheering will remember Slade, Wizzard, Wham, Band Aid, Legs & Co, rubbish Radio 1 DJs covered in tinsel pratting about, but won't actually watch the current tosh that passes for chart music anyway?!!

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Charts

People would have some sort of interest in the charts if the worked the way they used to. And then people would start watching TOTP again.

These they either advertise a single for weeks in advance by getting it played on radio or alternatively you run a show like X-Factor. People order the single in advance and the sales are put on the chart on the release date of the single. You can't stop radio stations playing the single before its release. You can't ban the x-factor, although I wish they would. However you can make the charts more interesting. All you have to do is put pre orders into the chart on the date of the order not the date of the single's release.

This wouldn't make the x-factor single sell any less (unfortunately) but it would make it less likely to go to number 1 because sales would be spread out evenly over three months rather than being banged into a single week. Likewise it would make predicting number ones a lot harder.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Sadly with [tallent vacuum] Fearn Cotton

Nice to see that viewer outrage has won again, but i do agree that Dec 25th without 'The pops' would seem rather rubbish.

My only concern, why La Cotton?

Did anyone experience Children in Need?

Isn't it punishment enough for all our sins to have her on the television at all without having to endure her sub-estuary, mockney, death rattle-like drawl on a national holliday?

Parris because she wouldn't touch La Cotton with a badge pole either.

12. Jason McLaughlin

Fearne Cotton and Reggie Yates

In my opinion, it's partly presenters of the calibre of these two that were partly to blame for the death of TOTP. They should bring back forcing Radio 1 DJs (or even better 6 Music DJs) to present the show on rotation like the good ole days - nothing beats the amusement factor of having the likes of John Peel presenting the latest crap in the Top 40.

13. Robin Baker

Oh Goody,

I will be away in the frozen north, so I won't be able to see Fearne bl**dy Cotton b&££$ up another show, and this other chap, who he???

14. Tim
    Thumb Up

Forget the top 40

Stick on some good old Christmas Pop.

It is a Top of the Pops *Christmas* Special after all!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like