back to article Windows 10 Insiders sent on quest deep into Registry to fetch goblet of Reserved Storage

Microsoft dropped a fresh Windows 10 Insider Build last night, which brought some welcome tweaks to the Windows Subsystem for Linux and enabled Reserved Storage. We had been promised that the exciting new feature in build 18312 would snaffle around 7GB of space but, as it transpired, we at Vulture Central have not been blessed …

1. Gene Cash Silver badge
    Coat

Registry key?

I use elregedit all the time!

1. Alistair
      Windows

Re: Registry key?

Ahhh, that would be where all the horrid article edits are coming from!

2. DJV Silver badge

"the OS remains very light on exciting new features"

Been that way for years unless your interpretation of "exciting" is way different to mine!

1. Fading
      Windows

Re: "the OS remains very light on exciting new features"

I guess having your personal documents deleted or being stuck in a boot/update loop is exciting from a certain point of view......

2. JohnFen

Re: "the OS remains very light on exciting new features"

The fewer new features, the better. It's got to the point where any announcement that new features are coming (primarily, but not solely, with Windows) fills me with dread.

3. iron Silver badge

This really needs an option to disable it and/or move it to another drive. There is no reason unspecified files for potential future updates should be allowed to permanently reserve up to 7GB of my system SSD.

4. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    FAIL

Reserved Storage

So, that's the first thing to be deleted at the next update, right ?

And hey, it's 2019 but Microsoft still does not understand that it is possible these days for people to have more than one disk on their system ? Or that disks have gone over 128GB in size ?

Come on, Microsoft, any serious Windows user has been buying a second disk since Windows 95 in order to shove the damn PageFile.sys on a different drive than C:\ - because performance. And then there's the fact that HDDs these days go over a terabit, so even regular users can get bold and have a second partition in order to avoid losing their data when your fucking OS kicks the bucket AGAIN. You might want to start taking a clue on that.

1. Teiwaz

Re: Reserved Storage

avoid losing their data when your fucking OS kicks the bucket AGAIN

But it's YOUR OS too, if you've chosen t use it.

Might be less yours than previous versions, what with the rampant hard to switch off nastiness, the force fed updates etc.

You knew what you were buying, it's not a new brand, you knew who and what you were dealing with, yet you went ahead anyway....

2. Mark 85

Come on, Microsoft, any serious Windows user has been buying a second disk

The key word is "serious". Most users don't buy a second disk or even know what a second disk is. MS doesn't do stuff for us tech types or even really acknowledge our existence. They build for the lowest common denominator and know full well, that most users won't complain or won't know what a steaming pile they've been handed.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

That is not an excuse for depriving us of choice.

But that is obviously not Microsoft's priority.

1. DJ Smiley

You've plenty of choice, from OSX to Ubuntu and all the other flavours of Linux for a start.

2. Giovani Tapini

Second or not. For shops where storage is a chargeback item it will come as an interesting unbudgeted expense...

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Microsoft still does not understand that it is possible these days for people to have more than one disk on their system"

Possible? yes (well, sometimes). Common? No. Also, don't forget that a large number of "PC" sales are laptops, which generally won't fit more than 1 drive in them.

"any serious Windows user has been buying a second disk since Windows 95 in order to shove the damn PageFile.sys on a different drive than C:\ - because performance"

Or just use an SSD and/or fit sufficient RAM to your PC. Honestly, I've not considered paging to be an issue in any PC I've had since (including) XP, and all of those (except my current PC) were HDD-based.

"And then there's the fact that HDDs these days go over a terabit, so even regular users can get bold and have a second partition in order to avoid losing their data when your fucking OS kicks the bucket AGAIN"

Again, not common*. My parent's PC has a 500GB SSD in it (which is more than enough space, there again it also runs LINUX), my work laptop has a 500GB SSD in it because it was the largest option available, and my parents' friend's got a laptop this year - it had a 128GB SSD in it because the manufacturers were cheap.

* assuming "terrabit" meant "terrabyte"

4. rmason

!2 upvotes for that?

That's absolute nonsense my friend. "most people" don't buy PCs, at all. They own a laptop and/or tablet.

The amount of laptops available for sale that will even fit a secondary drive in these days is absolutely tiny. With each new "generation" they become rarer and more expensive beasts. Most people buy single drive devices and they are almost exclusively smaller SSD drives now.

IF you're still moving your page file, that makes you cheap, not a "serious windows user". IT certainly doesn't put you in any sort of majority. It plants you firmly in the percentage of a percentage who know and care about such things.

Stick a decent sized SSD in, double your ram up. Problem solved.

1. Chavdar Ivanov

Well, I own a very standard HP Envy 17 laptop, still good for anything I throw at it, about 2.5 years old. It has a 500GB M.2 SSD as its main disk plus *two* empy slots for 2.5" disks ( I have installed a second 750GB HDD, which holds copies of NetBSD-current, OpenSUSE TumbleWeed and RedHat enterprise server, all can boot on bare metal ). I can also swap the DVD for a tray containing one more disk, so, should I want it, I could have *four* disks... Windows 10 on the main disk is running mainly VirtualBox or VMWare Player with some 20-25 other systems...

2. oiseau
        Facepalm

Stick a decent sized SSD in, double your ram up. Problem solved.

Hmmm ...

Stick a decent sized SSD in, double your ram up, install Linux. Problem solved.

There you go ...

Cheers,

O.

5. redpawn

Just a little nose under the tent for now

And just why do you think you should have any control over how full your drive is anyway?

6. TheGriz
    Thumb Down

Kill Windows 10 version of Start Menu

When will Microsoft kill the stupid Windows 10 version of the Start Menu, it's still absolutely horrible. Time to LISTEN to feedback and stop doggedly hanging on to something only the dumb-ass Microsoft Engineers who thought of it, like, and go back to a Windows 7 type Start Menu. I hate it so much that on every single family / friend installation I do of Windows 10 I instantly install ClassicShell (known now as OpenShell).

1. Panjo

Re: Kill Windows 10 version of Start Menu

Subjective and irrelevant.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

Subfolders are objectively better.

I've got five different versions of Qt installed because I need them. The Win10 Start menu shows "QtLinguist QtLinguist QtLinguist QtLinguist QtLinguist..." under "Qt".

Go on, which one is which?

In Win7, everything for each version sat in a subfolder named for that version.

The same is true of many other applications.

And having Cortana appear out of nowhere if I happen to hit backspace once too many times is just abusive. Sure, I can go into Policy and kill her but that's about as hidden as it's possible to get.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You're doing your family/friends a disservice by encouraging the use of Windows.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Blimey is ClassicShell still around? The market for that hacky POS disappeared the moment W10 appeared and fixed the nastiness of W8.

Presumably you're also still using a 14 inch CRT television, your telephone has a rotary dialler on it and a wire attaching it to the house, and your car has none of those new-fangled parking sensors and seatbelts and airbags ...

1. rmason

Spot on.

There's a proportion of people here who clearly don't use windows 10, but love to pretend they do to moan about it.

Similarly on every office 365 article there's an outpouring of comments from people who either don't use it at all, or haven't in years. Whinging about a variety of things that either simply aren't an issue, or things that highlight a bit of a knowledge gap.

Just like this moaning about the start button/menu.

Press start button.

Ignore start menu.

type name of application, or service etc required.

Before you've finished typing it has narrowed down the choices and normally has what you're after in the top 1-3.

That tiny, truncated window of a handful of suggestions (including what you were after) is all the start menu you should ever see.

1. Nolveys
          Windows

Before you've finished typing it has narrowed down the choices and normally has what you're after in the top 1-3.

Or it doesn't find it at all and instead comes up with irrelevant garbage. The funny thing is that the search works pretty well under Windows 7.

Case in point, adding a TAP adapter for OpenVPN. Under Windows 7 start search and "TAP" immediately finds "Add a new TAP virtual ethernet adapter", under 10: No results found for "TAP".

Luckily winkey+r still works (for now).

2. joed

"Press start button.

Ignore start menu.

type name of application, or service etc required."

sure, it's just surprising how badly it works at times (plus Cortana creep). It requires keyboard use - not always handy. Current Start menu is just badly designed and functionally is inferior to Windows 7's (that also offered option to search in it for those that preferred it).

3. paulll

"Press start button.

Ignore start menu.

type name of application, or service etc required."

Sooooo... why have the start menu?

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
        Mushroom

@lesession

"Presumably you're also still using a 14 inch CRT television, your telephone has a rotary dialler on it and a wire attaching it to the house, and your car has none of those new-fangled parking sensors and seatbelts and airbags"

This is PRECISELY the kind of ARROGANT attitude that WAY TOO MANY fanbois of Win-10-nic have...

Incidentally, those of us who REFUSE to EMBRACE the Win-10-nic are NOT luddites. We're actually SMARTER than the average Win-10-nic user.

/me withholds comment about Win-10-nic fanbois being "sheeple" and having no will of their own...

1. RyokuMas
          Facepalm

"/me withholds comment about Win-10-nic fanbois being "sheeple" and having no will of their own..."

"... We're actually SMARTER than the average Win-10-nic user...."

See icon.

4. rmason

I don't get why people care about the start menu. Do you honestly still sift and page through it?

Hit start button. Start typing the name of the thing you want, generally by the third or fourth letter what you were after is right there presented to you. Or simply start typing in the cortana jobby box next to the start button with the same result

People don't use the start button in the old XP/7 style, they just don't!

100% a non-issue.

1. Nolveys

I don't get why people care about the start menu.

They probably try to use their computers to do work, the silly fools.

5. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Thumb Up

interesting, at this point in time the up-to-down-vote ratio of 'TheGriz's post is approximately 2:1 in favor of 'TheGriz's opinion [which I also agree with - see icon].

My unofficial estimates of the disapproval:approval ratio of various Win-10-nic "features" also shows about a 2:1 ratio of people who HATE them vs people who (apparently) LOVE them [and are also ARROGANTLY insisting that everybody ELSE love them, too, or just shut the hell up about them because, "modern"].

Unfortunately, it seems too many people are just willing to TOLERATE these features, anyway, because, effective MONOPOLY.

7. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge

Whats the

betting that after reserving that 7 gb of disk space for itself , windows decides to download an update thats bigger than 7 gb and then falls over as it runs out of space... or.... some keen techie has a look in the reserved disk space after 6 months and finds windows has stored nothing at all there......

Cynic? me?

1. JohnFen

Re: Whats the

Microsoft says that if they fill up the 7gb, they'll start using the rest of the available disk.

8. JohnFen

"Quest"? Really?

Sheesh.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: "Quest"? Really?

what is the average wing velocity of an unladened sparrow?

African or European?

I don't know... AAAAAAAAH!

9. bombastic bob Silver badge
    Joke

Microsoft dropped a fresh Windows 10 Insider Build last night

I hoped they flushed afterwards, with a generous spraying of some kind of air freshener. And a thorough hand washing.

/me thinks the terms "Hot steaming" and "pile" need to be in there someplace

10. molletts

One possible improvement

"we have thus far been unable to persuade Windows 10 that it should shove temporary update files anywhere else" [other than the system drive]

That's a complete reversal of the behaviour on some previous versions of Windows which would randomly throw update-related folders at any writable drive whenever they felt like it. Cue non-safely-removable backup disk cartridges, USB drives, etc.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like