back to article Huawei's 7nm 64-core Arm server brain, fresh Intel desktop Core chips, IBM tapping Samsung for Power10, and more

To coincide with CES 2019 kicking off, here's some chip-related news bytes, from consumer-grade up to enterprise level, to nibble on, getting to the core – OK, enough puns. Huawei Arm server chip: On Sunday evening, Huawei unveiled a 7nm 64-bit Arm-compatible processor, the Kunpeng 920. This is a 64-core 2.6GHz server-grade …

1. tiggity Silver badge

autonomous cars

Not in my lifetime on UK minor roads.

What would be nice is some of the tech to filter into "normal" cars

LIDAR / RADAR data, cameras that cope better than human eyes with being "blinded" of what is on road ahead by oncoming vehicle full beam (or dipped beam, but driver on a hill so has same effect of hitting you straight in the eye).

A little HUD with data from the shiny tech would be great in assisting driver when dazzled.

.. With move to LED lights dazzle seems to be getting worse (most roads I am on are minor rural roads with no street lights so "dark driving" thus dazzle effects far more of an issue than in well lit urban areas where the instant dark / full beam transition does not occur)

1. Gotno iShit Wantno iShit

Re: autonomous cars

.. With move to LED lights dazzle seems to be getting worse

I don't find LEDs as bad as Xenon. Sure they are worse for dazzle than filament but the beam cut line of an LED doesn't seem quite as sharp as Xenon. LED are just as bright as Xenon but the slightly softer transition as the cut line crosses the eye makes it not quite so bad. I am really glad Xenon is getting superseded without ever becoming mainstream. FOAFs who own Xenon really rate them however.

At least that's the way it seems to me , YMMV.

2. Big Al 23

AVs will be practical in ~15-20 years. Right now it's like the Wild West where anything goes resulting in deaths already. Governments worldwide have abdicated their responsibility to mandate minimum safety, security, design, maintenance and operational standards for AVs. The legal community has not determined who will die and who will pay for the unavoidable accidents. It's a real nightmare at the moment with no comprehensive oversight on an industry hell-bent on reaping financial fortunes at the expense of those naïve enough to become "test dummies" for irresponsible and unsafe prototype vehicles being passed off as viable commercial products.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

On the grounds many Western legal systems are founded on case law, letting a few things crash and piling up a few lawsuits is how one changes the law round here. Just like the H&S disaster we all know is waiting to happen, but do nothing about until it happens.

The ideas of the Napoleonic Code are far from perfect, but it at least puts the horse in front of the cart...

2. Big Al 23

Virtually nothing to offer

Intel clearly is in trouble with no viable 10nm process and outdated 14nm node.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like