back to article Zuck's 2019 tech talk tour should tackle the questions Facebook spent 2018 dodging

After the year he's had, Mark Zuckerberg probably felt he deserved a bit of a laugh. Because, after spending 2018 dodging any unscripted discussion about Facebook's impact on society, he's decided his 2019 "personal challenge" will be... a set of scripted discussions about technology's impact on society. Zuck's own brand of …

1. steelpillow Silver badge
    Coat

Muppet

Whenever I see that photo of Zuck it makes me think of Beaker from the Muppets.

1. Flakk
      Trollface

Re: Muppet

I can think of about fifteen or twenty experiments I'd like Dr. Bunsen Honeydew to perform on teh Zuckerbrah.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Please stop insulting muppets.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Please stop insulting muppets.

Talking in such terms, I hope you noticed the other day that the former chief clown from Zippo's Circus complained that comparing British politicians handling of Brexit to clowns was an insult to professional clowns. I think we'd all agree with him.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"comparing British politicians handling of Brexit to clowns was an insult to professional clowns"

It's amateurs outdoing professionals.

2. chivo243 Silver badge
    Unhappy

How about?

Either he gets indicted or we just stop talking about him? I remember there used to be a browser extension that blocked any trace of the Kardashian Klan from your browsing experience, can we please get one for "teh Zuckerbrah" too?

1. Mark 85

Re: How about?

Great idea. There must be a market for them.. say various politicians, religious nut cases, along with CEO's and Hollywood types.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Zuck should...

Go to Jail, do not pass Go and most certainly do not collect any money.

You won't be missed...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

The TRUE toxicity of social media revealed

Sam Vaknin: “social media was created by a very well defined profile it was, all social media were invented by men, there was not a single woman involved. All social media were invented by schizoids people who, recluses, people, hermits. people who were socially inept. All social media were invented by nerds. Most of these men later on when we read biographies and so on, we realized that they were asexual or with very low sexual activity.

We so, the profile of the men who invented social media and we are talking about all these men, it is very very very narrowly defined. They created social media in their own image of course, since they were asexual asocial schizoid white men, they created a tool which was geared towards asexual asocial schizoid white men..”

6:03 Sam Vaknin: the TRUE toxicity of social media revealed

1. MrDamage Silver badge

Re: The TRUE toxicity of social media revealed

Obligatory Response.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Facepalm

Re: The TRUE toxicity of social media revealed

Isn't it amazing that Zuck, one of the planets chief visionaries, still cuts his own hair, reminds me of another visionary, but the name escapes me at the moment?ref ref

5. JohnFen

Zuck's had a bad year?

Boo hoo. He brought it all on himself, and it looks like that's a hole he's refusing to stop digging.

6. Spazturtle Silver badge

If him and his like keep going on like this then one of these days some nutjob is going to shoot one of these silicone valley execs and this social media and data collection system will collapse as they realize that they don't live in an isolated bubble. You have extremists on both side of the political spectrum believing that Facebook is biased towards the other side and they are becoming increasingly aggressive. It's really starting to look like this is all going to end badly.

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

silicone valley execs

Hmm.. I think they work in a *very* different industry..

7. Magani
    Unhappy

Have a laugh?

After the year he's had, Mark Zuckerberg probably felt he deserved a bit of a laugh.

Unfortunately, it'll be at the expense of all FB users.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"I'm going to put myself out there more than I've been comfortable,"

"For the talks to be truly challenging, Zuckerberg must do two things: first, choose not just friendly sparring partners, but genuine critics"

Any chance you can get Zuck to answer some live questions from the commentards on forums.theregister?

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Re: "I'm going to put myself out there more than I've been comfortable,"

Zuck to answer some live questions from the commentards

What? Interact with *real* people? Don't be silly - he has staff for that..

9. Winkypop Silver badge
    Devil

How to win at social media use

1. Don't start.

Worked for me!

10. HolySchmoley

Engineer, but not as we know it Jim

>"I used to just build out my ideas and hope they'd mostly speak for themselves," Zuckerberg said in his reflection of his time as an engineer.

Someone who bedroom-hacks someone else's PHP is an engineer?

Think I'll boil an egg and be a Cordon Bleu chef.

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Re: Engineer, but not as we know it Jim

The smart thing for Zuck to do would be cash out and shut down Facebook - if he did that we'd all be better off.

11. Daedalus

Frankly, dears....

Someone who, clearly, hasn't given a damn about anybody but himself from day one, remarkably doesn't give a damn about all those people who want him to face their music.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Much as I don't appreciate Facebook, I do not understand why the Parliament of a second rate country in the midst of massive self-harm thinks they have the right to summon an American businessman for some MP grandstanding. Muppets.

1. PhilipN Silver badge

Second rate country

How dare you, sir! I am damn proud to be a citizen of a second rate country run by Muppets.

Pistols at dawn!

2. This post has been deleted by its author

13. PhilipN Silver badge

"..as an engineer.."

Explains everything. There was a time back towards the '80's when more and more large companies were being run by "engineers". Fine. Indeed very fine when things were going swimmingly. Not when they were not. The typical engineer running a business with balance sheets and such could not rationalise the tanking in sales, ballooning of debt and mayhem caused by markets, customers and banks. "Me...? ME????"

My Dad was an engineer ("Hello World") but he was equally cynical of "engineers" who never had to plunge their arms up to the elbows into a bucket of Swarfega.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like