back to article Thought Macbooks were expensive? Dell UK unveils the 7 meeeellion pound laptop

Apple's pricing woes do not seem to have worried PC giant Dell, as the flinger of Windows – and occasionally Linux-powered silicon – appears to have unleashed another multimillion-pound laptop on the world. The company will cheerfully sell you a 17-inch mobile workstation in the form of its Precision 7720 for a gnat's whisker …

1. TRT Silver badge

That's nothing...

You should see the cost of the extended warranty!

2. Patched Out
    Mushroom

At that price ...

It better be bullet-proof - literally!

3. anthonyhegedus Silver badge

Is it a mistake?

1. Roger Greenwood

Hardly a mistake when they got a free advert - I call that a success.

1. #define INFINITY -1

Only trouble is, will they really make any sales as a result of the advert?

2. caffeine addict

I presume it is a mistake, but you have to wonder where the £10m pre discount price comes from. Unless that figure is entirely fictitious and is actually a multiplier of the current price...

1. DaLo

Start with the £10mill+ price apply an automated 30% discount across all of that laptop range and you get the new £7m+ price.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

re. where the £10m pre discount price comes from

simples: algorithm (aka AI). It would be a little awkward though, if they used a kill switch - and it doesn't work...

3. martinusher Silver badge

...maybe a mistake..but....

Since Hungarian Notation is widely adopted in programming I supposed Dell has taken things a step further and started pricing their products in Hungarian florints. Last time I looked one florint was worth 0.0036 of a US dollar which brings down the price of their laptop to a more credible -- but still seriously overpriced -- $25K or so.

Seriously, though, it appears that Quality Control is 'so yesterday', its more important to get stuff out there than test it since the users can always be relied upon to test stuff for you so maybe that's just the way things are (those systems will be running Windows 10 anyway so who knows what the punter's going to end up with?).

1. commonsense

Re: ...maybe a mistake..but....

That would be Hungarian forint. Well done on the small f, but you really should quality check your post.

As an aside, forints and florins are related. Florints don't exist.

4. Nonymous Crowd Nerd

Probably

But what happens if someone accidentally buys one? I wonder what the legal position is - although, in reality, I expect Dell would be understanding.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They've mistakenly made the BOFH edition public... You order this laptop for £7 million, and then they send you a check for half the difference (Payable to cash of course!)

5. chivo243 Silver badge
    Pint

Barfly

Dell computers for all my friends at the bar!

6. Arty Effem

Paypal wasn't having it; didn't even get to the confirmation screen.

7. Colonel Mad

Hang on

It's still that price at 13:15

8. Colonel Mad

VAT

Oh yes, there's VAT as well!, order it and claim it back?

9. The Pi Man

Yawn...

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/11/07/dell_13m_precision_5530/

1. tim 13

Re: Yawn...

Thought I'd read similar before

10. Freddellmeister

I'll order two because it flatters me with its "Built for your brilliance!" slogan..

11. Stevie

Bah!

Tch!

Interns, currency and those tricky floating point data types, eh?

12. Mystic Megabyte
    Happy

"Ferries not included" LOL

13. FlossyThePig

Chassis option

Change the chassis option and save £6,999,691.99

14. Tigra 07
    Pint

Just attempted to buy with their Dell financing options, but they aren't selling it... A pity, as i planned to pay gradually over my lifetime.

"MEGADEAL SOLD OUT. Check out more great deals now."

Where the fuck was the "great" deal Dell?

1. hj

I think/hope it's Dell sense of humor?

15. Dan Atkinson

Meant for the UK Gov Procurement Portal?

I'm pretty sure that this was meant to only be displayed on Dell's UK Government IT Procurement Portal.

16. Aladdin Sane

Now let's talk about rust-proofing. These Colecos will rust up on you like *that*...[shut up Gil, close the deal, close the deal!].

17. Sloth77

I told them about this months ago....

Can't believe they still havn't fixed it.

1. Tigra 07
      Facepalm

Re: Sloth

Attempt to buy it and you'll notice the website prevents you from progressing. Either:

(A) They've noticed the price is wrong but not corrected it.

(B)The price is correct and they've sold out...

18. Rabbit80

It's the cost of having thunderbolt 3 - remove that and elect for the Intel® Core™ Processor i5-6300HQ, 4 Core, 6M Cache, 2.30GHz, 3.2GHz Turbo, 45W and save £6,999,691.99

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Clearly a special offer for government IT buyers

See above.

20. Kez

With that price tag, I might be able to coax the boss away from his pointlessly expensive Macbook. You'll be the envy of all the other company directors at the golf club!

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What's even better is, you change the CPU to a Xeon and you get even more millions off the price!

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I tried to buy it but it says:

This deal is no longer available, but you can still browse our other great offers.

MEGADEAL SOLD OUT. Check out more great deals now.

23. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

£7,001,726.28 Priced down to the last penny. That really is Precision.

It makes even Amazon Market book prices look sensible (same book - £7.44, £7.45 and £84.95).

24. Barry Rueger

Eyeballs trump algorithms

By now every company should understand that as you increase your use of automation you also increase the need for living, breathing proofreaders.

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Surreptitious Advertising

Given that this isn't the first time this has happened, it is clearly not just a mistake on the part of Dell. It's a marketing technique that happens to result in El Reg readers (or similar audiences) to go and have a poke around in their shop.

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yes, but does it come with a headphone jack and removable battery?

Oops, wrong forum, I got carried away

27. TonyJ

Price corrected?

Showing a shade over 2k now.

I was thinking though at 7 mil it had better damn well play Crysis.

28. elwe

Trump Wall edition?

Maybe this is a special Trump Wall edition. For each one sold Dell spend £5m on building the wall. Thus converting that budget the Dems gave Trump to spend on border security, but not a wall, into wall funds.

29. jelabarre59

Yen

Maybe that's supposed to be Yen, not Pounds.

30. khjohansen

Crikey! I _knew_ the GBP was in some trouble, but ...

Will the post-Brexit £ go the way of the Zimbabwe dollar?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like