back to article Low-power chips are secret sauce behind long-life wearables

The most eye-catching debuts at CES 2019 are more analogue than digital, and dumber rather than smarter. Withings has launched its first new products in almost three years, having survived a period of ownership by Nokia. Two Withings Move watches minimise the "smart" but provide continuous fitness tracking, and boast a battery …

1. steelpillow Silver badge
    Coat

Lower end

I know, you could create an entry-level model which features the amazingly innovative analogue hands but just tells the time and nothing else. Oh, wait...

Casio once brought out an LCD model with digital hands. The segments were arranged like the petals of a flower, with each one crafted in the shape of part of a hand, none of your pixel-array rubbish here. A beautiful blend of bleeding-edge lithography and art. Oh, I think - I hope - I have just described the January 2020 launch model.

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: Lower end

I had one of those! I found it most amusing that they simulated an analogue device using digital technology. In the end I replaced it with a dual display watch - proper analogue hands with an LCD display behind it.

1. Steve Kerr

The height of technology with a very luddite function - Sony FES Watch

I have the version 1 of these, can change the pattern on watch strap and face but in essence, it's a an analogue watch, the version 2 allows patterns to be uploaded to the watch and gives the ability to have a numeric display.

A conversation with a friend went thus...

Me: Got a new watch

Friend: what else does it do?

Me: Tell the time

Friend: what else does it do?

Me: Change the pattern on the strap and watch face:

Friend: What apps can it run?

Me: It's a watch, it tells the time

Friend: What else can it do?

Me: It's a watch, it tells the time

Friend: No, what other functions does it have?

Me: Er....It's a watch, it tells the time.

Friend: Can you sync it with your phone?

Me: Er.....It's a watch, it tells the time.

Lost the will soon after, couldn't understand the concept of a hi-tech watch that just told the time.

1. BillG
          Headmaster

Fixed It For Ya

"MyKronoz takes advantage of Fujitsu's Ambiq embedded micro controllers, which allow the manufacturer to dispense with expensive, power-guzzling SoCs. The Apollo2, for example, draws less than 10 μA/MHz."

o Ambiq is not owned by Fujitsu, Ambiq an independent Texas company. Fujitsu Electronics is an electronics distributor that resells Ambiq MCUs.

o "Microcontroller" is one word

o SoCs are not "power-guzzling" unless this is 1995

2. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Am I unique in always wanting watches with digital displays rather than analog hands?

20+ years of commuting catching trains that lock the doors 30 seconds before the "scheduled" departure time has left me needing to know the time more precisely than analog hands permit.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I believe that some modern watches have things known as 'second hands' which will tell you the time to a hitherto-undreamed-of accuracy of under a second. I've never seen one myself: I'm happy with my portable hourglass.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Second hands" ......

So whilst jogging for the train and deciding if I need to sprint to catch the 6:23 you want me to look at the watch face pick out the 2 relevant hands, interpolate their positions between the numbers one of which needs to be multiplied by 5 then work out the time? I prefer to glance at my watch for a small fraction of a second and if its after 6:21:07 (and not a second before) sprint ..... at a speed dependant on the exact time.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

I have to watch the position of two hands instead of having to read four numbers. Do you really need to multiply? I just know the bigger hand has sixty positions, and that's what I "read". Hands are also readable at angles where digital numbers couldn't.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

> "I'm happy with my portable hourglass."

Hourglasses will never be truly portable and practical until they find a way to miniaturize the sand grains. Alternatively they might introduce some sort of clockwork mechanism that allows only one grain at a time thru the neck.

Oh wait...

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

The real problem is the suspension mechanism you need to keep them vertical and avoid bumps will accelerate/decelerate them, plus the clockwork to turn them automatically when the upper part is empty... oh wait...

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You don't want a watch with a digital display.

You want a watch with a digital display that is accurate.

And you want to start leaving a bit earlier.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

And I do have a watch with a very very accurate digital display. It synchronizes with the radio time signal every night so is never more than 500ms out.

Leaving earlier would be nice. So would not having a boss on the other side of the Atlantic who decides to phone me after she has had her lunch.

3. ganymede io device

Casio AA-85 or A-201 with module 103.

It had an app for testing your sanity.

http://bluethunderhelicopter.com/the-casio-aa-85/

As Douglas Adams put it

""... so the problem remained; lots of people were mean, and most of them were miserable, even the ones with digital watches.”

1. Adrian 4

You missed the earlier quote :

".. whose ape-descended life forms are so amazingly primitive that they still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea."

1. DropBear

I always held the strictly personal opinion that the intended meaning of that well-known quote was "people so primitive they barely just reached the 'digital watches: achievement unlocked' phase", but somehow got perverted into apparently meaning "analogue watches are so much nicer than digital ones and these stupid people completely fail to appreciate that" in wide-scale popular usage.

4. Christian Berger

You're missing the main feature

I mean of course you could make a watch that displays the time, but where's your revenue stream? Instead the vital feature is data collection. I mean how can you make money if not by selling private data of your product?

2. tiggity Silver badge

Is the next step

The battery watch equivalent of the old style self winding (automatic) watches? If manufacturers are really creating low power use devices then maybe just using wearer movement to power the watch would start to be feasible.

1. steelpillow Silver badge
      Boffin

Re: Is the next step

It was done a long time ago. The problem back then was that the tech was inadequate. With mechanical generation via an off-balance weight, batteries were unsuitable for the random bursts of recharge, while supercapacitors ran down too quickly at night. Solar cells were inefficient and did not have enough output to do more than prolong battery life. Maybe today we could do better.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's been done for many years.

I remember years ago that I was going to buy one as a Christmas present for my dad, but I was at least a year too late, as the regular watch manufacturers were promoting it, so I couldn't find one at a reasonable price any more.

1. Adrian 4

I have a Seiko Kinetic (which was my dad's, so it's a few years old now). It does exactly that and was designed to use a supercapacitor. They updated the design to use a NiMH cell when the supercapacitors were found to have a shorter life than rechargables, but since then it's been running happily, even if left unworn for several days.

3. OrneryRedGuy

Casio makes a line of solar powered watches with both a digital readout and analog hands that sync with each other. Sufficient charge time is not a problem; both my kids have them and every time I've checked the battery level is reported as 'hi'.

1. Is It Me

And there are the Citizen EcoDrive watches, solar based and can keep going with just a few hours of artificial light.

4. farrier

Something like this?

https://www.powerwatch.com/