back to article The Palm Palm: The Derringer of smartphones

No phone in 2018 has attracted as much real-world interest, I have found – and its invariable delight and amazement – as the credit-card sized Palm. By, er, ...Palm. (That's what it's called: Palm. Not Palm One or anything. Just Palm.) Both Verizon and TCL – the Chinese giant backing the project – both attracted some ridicule …

1. Jemma

Oh look, they re invented the HTC Touch Diamond.

Great idea, but hell no at that price - £100 maybe unlocked. I've actually begun to leave the mobile at home because it's so big it interferes with me doing things (Doogee T5 lite) and it's not even particularly large. Give me this with a sliding keyboard ala HTC touch PRO and I'll happily bite your arm off, up to the elbow.

And what's with the ridiculous prices? £1500 for a phone that costs £195-250 to build inclusive of "underpaid Asian worker tax"? That's not profit it's theft.

1. JimboSmith Silver badge

Re: Oh look, they re invented the HTC Touch Diamond.

Agreed - great idea shame about the price.

2. Gordan

Or the original ZTE Blade.

3. Nate Amsden

quite surprised but perhaps I shouldn't be for the lack of comparison to the HP (Palm) Veer. Almost an identical form factor and target market. It was the last WebOS phone to fully launch (I don't count the Pre3 as it was canceled quite suddenly).

https://www.gsmarena.com/hp_veer-3771.php

The veer was quite cute, and no built in headphone jack though it did have a magnetic attachment to get a headphone jack(and micro USB). It did have a slide out keyboard which this new Palm lacks. It also had wireless charging. No WebOS devices had expandable storage unfortunately.

I don't know what the Veer's sales were like but I remember the comments at the time when the market was going to bigger and bigger screens it seemed crazy to go the exact opposite direction though I appreciate the risk they took trying something different. I bought a Veer myself I think it was basically free when I renewed my ATT contract at the time(was using a Pre3). Never really had a use for the Veer outside of a toy. Ended up giving it to a webos developer a couple of years later.

Still have my ATT Pre3 sitting in a box along with a French language version of the Pre3. My nearly 6 year old galaxy note 3 remains my daily driver and my first Android device.

4. Jemma

Well I just took delivery of the Unihertz Jelly Pro off Amazon in black. Amazing little thing - fits across the palm of my hand - just need to get nano sim for it & it'll replace the T5 lite as carry phone. Almost the same spec, LESS than a quarter the size. Good screen and I suspect 3 days battery life with 4G switched off and the usual power saving settings. It's so tiny it's almost too small. Definitely worth the £100 for a phone that'll fit in a pocket and doesn't double up as light artillery ammunition..

5. Cavehomme_

Oh look...at the photos in the article: "Alongside an iPhone SE"

Yes, that's right, instead, for a mere £239 purchasing it outright, you could have bought a whole iPhone and it literally just "slightly larger!

An Phone SE with 4-inch Retina display, A9 chip, Touch ID, 12MP rear camera, 720 front camera, 4G LTE2, fast Wi-Fi, 32GB storage, 2+ day battery, etc, etc..

I fail to understand the purpose of this Palm as much as I fail to understand why people fork out £1000+ for an iPhone which they can by for a mere 20-25% of that.

6. billdehaan

That's not profit it's theft.

It's whatever the market will bare, sadly.

I, too, want a small, usable cell phone, like the 3.5" or 4.0" phones of old. Things you could throw in your pocket, charge every couple of days (or weeks), rather than mini-tablets that struggle to retain a charge for a day, scratch if you breath on them, require hip holsters or special carrying cases, can't be used with one hand, and cost five times what my Nokias did ten years ago.

I picked up a Samsung S7 refurb over the summer for Cdn$200 (about £115), because at 5.1", it was the smallest usable phone I could find. And at 5.1" it boasted about having a "one-handed mode", as if this were an oddity.

Hard to believe that when Steve Jobs rolled out iPhone 1.0, he actually apologized for the size of the overly large 3.5" phone. Today, phones with the word "compact" in their name clock in at 4.7" or larger.

There are 4" phones available out there, yes. But they're universally horribly underpowered and practically unusable. This Palm iteration is practically the only thing I've seen that even tries to be usable.

If it weren't for the fact that my Pebble smartwatch requires an Android or IOS application to connect to the phone, I would probably switch back to my Nokia C3 or 5130.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

There are many small phones like this already knocking around the Chinese sellers and the crowdfunding websites.

7. David Paul Morgan

less than 20GBP delivered...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Soyes-7S-Dual-Sim-Small-Mini-Android-Smart-Touch-Screen-Mobile-Phone/232721622830?_trkparms=aid%3D555017%26algo%3DPL.CASSINI%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D55149%26meid%3D41675ce80d674442bd36ac59bf5c02b5%26pid%3D101006%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26%26itm%3D232721622830&_trksid=p2045573.c101006.m3226

2. ElReg!comments!Pierre
    WTF?

"useless coin pocket" ?

Surely you jest.

Quick check: my "useless coin pocket" currently holds

- about 7 € in small change, because coffee machines

- a 20 € note because that can come in handy

- a naildriver, because it does everything you could possibly want to do (pop open a beer bottle, rip a parcel open, break the ice in the freezer, dig a hole to plant seeds, emergency sharpening of a blunt blade, open letters, file your nails on the rigged sides for the ladies, you name it -really *).

That is perhaps my most useful pocket!

*and I'm not even Strine! Imagine what THEY could do.

1. Sgt_Oddball

Re: "useless coin pocket" ?

It's not a coin pocket! Those are for pocket watches and you were expected to have the chain attached to your belt.

As for mine I now look for trousers with them on as they're perfect for keeping my car key in.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Mine has the remote RFID button thing to open the doors at work.

It does mean I have to grind sensually against a couple of door frames to get it close enough

1. Sgt_Oddball

It does mean I have to grind sensually against a couple of door frames to get it close enough

Mines in my wallet for same effect, annoyingly though only one door has the reader low enough and its the one that's a tad wonky natch....

2. joeW

I've more commonly heard it called the condom pocket. That may say a lot about the company I keep I suppose.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"I've more commonly heard it called the condom pocket."

The one on my jeans was called a "ticket pocket" - which they did very nicely with the old small thick cardboard UK railway and Tube tickets. Even then that was a snug fit. Nowadays tickets have gone from credit card size to airline size.

1. katrinab Silver badge

"Nowadays tickets have gone from credit card size to airline size."

Where are you travelling? In London, my ticket is an actual American Express credit card. Elsewhere, it is the orange credit card sized tickets that have been around for about 30 years now.

1. MrMerrymaker

Same. I'm in the North but I even got the orange ticket when I was last dahn sarf too..

3. Pedigree-Pete
        Facepalm

All my trousers with "coin pockets" seem a perfect fit for a standard Zippo lighter. I thought that was what they are for. Coins, put coins in there, I can never get them out. :) PP

2. Jay Lenovo

Based on average use, its like the front flap pocket in men's brief underwear.

It's there, but pretty much no one uses it.

However, shove a palm phone in and ancient lint will have a new friend.

3. Gene Cash Silver badge

I cut that thing out of all my pants because I was tired of getting my phone/keys/wallet/etc hooked in it, and have to struggle to not drop it on the floor.

Anything I DID put in it invariably dumped out the next time I sat down, so it was worse than useless.

4. Franco

For many years I've carried either a Swiss Army Knife or a Leatherman Squirt in that pocket.

Anyway, as nice as the phone looks it's FAR too expensive. Anyone who is so worried about missing calls etc whilst out running, at the gym and so on will already have bought either an arm holder or shorts or leggings with a phone pocket at the rear waistband, and a quick check on Amazon reveals that you could buy a midrange Nokia (and no doubt other 'droids) and a fitness watch for less than the price of this phone.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The Victorinox Manager - about 2 1/2 " long, like the Victorinox Classic SD but has a Phillips screwdriver, bottle opener and wire stripper in addition to the sharp knife, scissors, file and flathead driver. Strangely not sold in UK shops but available in Europe and online.

Enough to wire a plug, or slice up some cheese.

1. Franco

Almost exactly what I have, mine's a midnite manager which adds an LED torch.

Very useful at this time of year for the inevitable putting batteries in toys on Christmas Day.

5. Trilkhai

Quick check: my "useless coin pocket" currently holds

- about 7 € in small change, because coffee machines

- a 20 € note because that can come in handy

- a naildriver, because it does everything you could possibly want to do (pop open a beer bottle, rip a parcel open, break the ice in the freezer, dig a hole to plant seeds, emergency sharpening of a blunt blade, open letters, file your nails on the rigged sides for the ladies, you name it -really *).

I have to admit that I'm jealous — even though I wear "old-school" relaxed-fit jeans (plain old women's Levi's), the coin pocket on mine is nowhere near that large. It mostly just acts as a place to temporarily stash one or two keys or the 4cm-wide keyfob; it's too narrow for anything else.

6. cray74

a naildriver, because it does everything you could possibly want to do

If you have a moment, would you mind sharing the make and model of the naildriver? I've gone through a lot of pocket tools and settled on, basically, a folding knife because most of the others weren't useful. Something less stabby and alarming to coworkers would be appreciated.

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre

Something less stabby and alarming to coworkers

That is the very reason why I switched from centerpunch to nailpunch. I do own a couple of them of various makes due to the security drones at airports sometimes insisting that they are weapons (since, you know, they are made of steel - don't ask) and thus discarding them.

I usually go with whatever I can find at the local hardware store in the 10-cm range or so. Right now I carry a MacAllister but I'm pretty sure that's a French store brand. They look very much like Silverlines. When I was in Northern America I liked Fuller ones. Very durable if a bit expensive compared to store brands, and the square-ish head is actually quite pleasant.

7. 's water music
      Gimp

I keep a billiards table in mine, in case I fancy a quick game

3. Teiwaz

Very, very nice

Apart from

a) the price

b) bloody android.

Re: Very, very nice

b) bloody android.

I clicked in here to say the same thing. I really like the idea and the size but the presence of the dreaded scumdroid is a stonewall dealbreaker.

Shame.

1. AMBxx Silver badge

Yep. I'm on my first Android (Windows phone refugee). I have nothing by Apple in the house, but I'm contemplating iPhone next time just to get away from Android.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

So you'd prefer what, Tizen? Sailfish? Linux?

1. Teiwaz

So you'd prefer what, Tizen? Sailfish? Linux?

yes

But something not as slurpy and with better battery usage would do even if not quite as featureful.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

My current phone is a Sailfish. My next phone - which I ordered on ebay and should arrive shortly - is also going to be a Sailfish. Why?

- privacy by design

- apps in store are all open source

- very fast

- easy on the battery

- gestures work extremely well

- full Linux system

For the apps where you cannot find a native counterpart, you have the option of running Android apps.

Yes, Sailfish is the great Finnish hope. Appropriately adaptation of Linux for phone use, as linux is a Finnish originated OS.

1. Glen 1
              Holmes

> linux is a Finnish originated OS.

Erm... not exactly.

The Linux Kernel started as a clone of an American OS led by a Finish bloke with many international contributors, with much of the user space written thanks to the American-originating GNU project (also with many international contributors)

or so I've Hurd.

I'm sure someone will be along to correct me if I'm mistaken.

Yep, that says Finnish originated in another way.

2. FrankAlphaXII
        Joke

Psh....They want Windows 10.

Why? Simple. Its the best, Windowsiest semi-intelligent phone OS evurr!!

4. Craig 2

Brilliant... Next year's model will be sold on "10% larger screen, etc etc"

aaaaand repeat...

5. Ken 16 Silver badge

Yes, but...

Sony Xperia Ray did all that and more, I've even seen NOS ones for 50 quid on e'Bey

1. sorry, what?
      Stop

Re: Yes, but...

If you want small, and just something for emergency calling, for less than £20 this looks about right:

https://china-gadgets.com/l8star-bm10-mini-mobile-phone/

That said, it is probably sending lots of (SMS-based) data back to the Chinese secret police.

2. Ken 16 Silver badge
      Boffin

Re: Yes, but...

In fact it motivated me to dig out my Ray, I dropped it from Marshmallow to Kitkat and it's stable again. I couldn't get microg to install so google play services are eating up 1/3rd of my RAM but it's running enough apps to be useful and Evie launcher makes it look modern.

6. Adair Silver badge

Xperia X10 mini pro

With slide out keyboard -- fabulous!

1. Ken 16 Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: Xperia X10 mini pro

ah, but that one wouldn't fit into my coin pocket - only the Ray did that

2. Phil Kingston

Re: Xperia X10 mini pro

Still miss my mini pro.

7. clanger9

£350 for a locked phone?

I'm assuming this is locked to Vodafone? In which case, count me out.

Shame - the design looks brilliant.

8. Roq D. Kasba

Waiting for the unbranded knockoff priced right

I'm sure you can get this 90% right for £50, and someone will.

1. Mr Humbug

Re: Waiting for the unbranded knockoff priced right

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Unihertz-Smallest-Smartphone-Android-Unlocked/dp/B0752BYRHM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1545156932&sr=8-1&keywords=unihertz

But it was done first

9. Dr_N
    Thumb Down

Nice concept!

And good to see someone designing something other than the usual slabs.

Pity about the 8hr battery life and the ridiculous £350 pricetag.

1. xanda
      Meh

Re: Nice concept!

"...thoroughly fed up with the large, heavy attention-sucking monsters that smartphones have become...

...many long for the simplicity and small size of the feature phone of yesteryear."

Amen to that!

We would love a flip or slider phone with buttons again, with a more robust & water resistant case. Think Motorola RAZR but with 4G and dual SIM.

The touchscreen thing has its uses but having to take it everywhere is such a pain: bulky, difficult to use with disability/single-handed/with gloves on and expensive to drop kerbside. Having a companion phone when that suits best is a great idea.

But it needs to be done right - it cannot be just a miniature Android - it needs to offer something else; something it's counterpart does not do.

The Palm doesn't seem to have done this: no buttons, lacklustre battery life and no maybe no call recording (now being ditched by Android). Other valiant but poorly supported efforts like the HTC Mini+ and SocBlue A850 arguably came closer.

Perhaps using a simpler, lower cost device as a primary, complemented with a beefier touchscreen partner when desired, is the best way forward?

10. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

2nd phone

Has anyone found an operator that will let you have two phones with the same number active on the same network at the same time ?

Or are you expected to swap the sim every time you want to go jogging, to the gym, etc etc

1. Dr_N

Re: 2nd phone

They used to be offered for built-in 8W carphones, but have long since dropped by the wayside.

You can set call forwarding up to switch between phone when one or the other is off.

Alternatively you can get multiple data SIMs off the same account and just use a voip number.

2. SImon Hobson Bronze badge

Has anyone found an operator that will let you have two phones with the same number active on the same network at the same time ?

That is indeed the issue - and I vaguely recall having read that (IIRC) Vodamoan did indeed have this facility, at a price, and with limitations. If it was Vodamoan then it makes sense them having grabbed the UK rights to it.

However at £350 they are avvin a larf. If I wanted a second phone for when I'm oout and about and don't want to risk my main phone - I'd want something cheap so I'm not too fussed when it disappears in the midden, gets dropped and stood on by a cow, or whatever.

3. Phil Kingston

IIRC these only have eSIMs - there's no physical card to swap and the network may choose to activate it on the same number (same stuff as with LTE-enabled Apple Watches).

Or at least that's how Verizon are doing it.

1. katrinab Silver badge

Don't Verizon (and Sprint) use a different technology (CDMA) than what the rest of the world uses?

4. katrinab Silver badge

A pair of iPhones connected to the same Apple account will work, provided they are within bluetooth range of each other.

5. Kristian Walsh Silver badge

The GSM specification allowed for SIM1 and SIM2 on a single account (original use-case was to allow a carphone and a mobile phone - this was the days before Bluetooth). Only Vodafone ever implemented it, and even then they never really publicised it.

Easy to see why, really, when they can sell you the same call-and-data allowance twice under the current scheme...

11. Dabooka
    WTF?

Sorry I thought I read £350

Which clearly is ridiculous, as a secondary phone why would I want to pay nearly double what I spend on my main handset?

This is just something to take out to the pub right? The small battery, ability to call and maybe an app or two and I'm sorted, but it's about £280 too expensive.

I'll await the might of AliExpress and Banggood to develop their thirty quid alternatives...

12. Zog_but_not_the_first
    Facepalm

"A secondary phone..."

Truly these are the days of miracle and wonder...

1. murakh

Re: "A secondary phone..."

these for the long distance calls? (apologies to Paul Simon)

2. Aladdin Sane

Re: "A secondary phone..."

The way the camera follows you in slo-mo.

13. DropBear

If I wanted a credit card-sized phone, I still have my previous Symbian phone - and it (still) runs for a WEEK between charges, not for a day. It still isn't running anything I didn't install* on it, and that goes equally for my current Galaxy, or anybody's smartphone. So no, I still don't see the point.

* Yes, yes, technically it does have some pre-installed software some of which indubitably wakes up and runs some code in the background every now and then. Except I can't really tell, because as long as I don't use them and do not register accounts with any of them none of them are ever doing anything visible**, and I'm fine with that.

** Potential snooping is a whole different ballgame, and not what we're discussing here. This is supposed to be about how allegedly annoying, harassing and impossible to reign in smartphones are in contrast with dumbphones.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I still have my previous Symbian phone - and it (still) runs for a WEEK between charges, not for a day.

I had a Symbian smartphone, and it was small and wasn't really that nice to use, but I'll give you the battery life was decent. But like for like, not much has changed if you shop carefully and have a similar use case. My current smartphone gets light use, has the minimal amount of vampireware running (although still using Xiaomi's full fat AOSP and Google "Services") and at a push I can get six days between charges - with the important difference to any Symbian I've used that it is very fast, it has access to the full range of Android apps if I want them, and can do stuff like credible satnav, gaming, act as a torch, a GPS etc.

And unlike the Symbian devices, I've got a 6+ inch high resolution screen, an impressively fast Snapdragon 845, and it cost me £260. And that's a half-premium version - I've just sold my last handset that still ticks most of those boxes, and I could now buy a new one for about £120.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's not a coin pocket...

..that small pocket in your jeans was originally intended for pocket watches.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It's not a coin pocket...

On one pair of my jeans that pocket is a snug fit for an old-style small cardboard railway/Tube ticket. No way anything with any thickness is going to fit - never mind the restricted width. A pocket watch would need a bigger pocket - which now explains the much larger pocket on another pair of jeans.

15. 0laf

Price

£350.

Lol.

I'll just buy one of those small chinese phones. Or maybe 5 of them and pocket the change.

Dunno where I'll put it. Dman change pocket filled with phones

Should have been £75 with an ePaper screen and 4 weeks battery.

1. Roq D. Kasba

Re: Price

£75 with an ePaper screen, just take my money! I wanted a YotaPhone for the epaper screen, but not for the rest of the phone. It would be ideal to compliment my snazzy top-end awesome flagship, somewhat limited video abilities, rudimentary framing etc for the camera, tiny pocket convenience, 4 weeks battery, bloody awesome.

16. storner

I'll take the revived Nokia 3310 instead, thank you

Granted, it is 2 cm longer, and weighs 18 grams more.

But it only costs 1/10'th of this little critter.

17. markv

Try the Unihertz Jelly Pro - a bit smaller, Android, 4G, GPS, similar battery life, lower res camera. Gets lost in a coin pocket!

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

re. "a phone for your phone"

and a smart watch for your phone's phone, yeah!

1. rboote

Re: re. "a phone for your phone"

I have a mini smart watch on my wrist so I can keep my main smart watch on my ankle!

19. getHandle

Ah the N95

Loved the media player buttons!

20. BitCoward

Not a shadow phone unless you manage to clone your SIM

Last time I looked this was a bit illegal.

1. Gordon 10

Re: Not a shadow phone unless you manage to clone your SIM

won't the networks will do it legitimately for you for a small fee?

2. FrogsAndChips Silver badge

Not if done by your operator, that's the initial business model for this phone and why it's locked to a provider. This was explained in the previous article when Verizon launched it in the US:

Inside is a non-removable nano SIM that mirrors your primary SIM, much like an eSIM-enabled Apple Watch mirrors your iPhone.

But from this article it sounds that Vodafone is not offering this feature yet.

3. Dan 55 Silver badge

Most European countries manage to have at least one operator offering a service where two different (non-cloned) SIMs point to one number and incoming calls ring both, naturally this service is impossible to find in the UK.

21. BigAndos

Well this is a solution looking for a problem. I honestly cannot see the point of this thing, especially at £350.

22. juice

Sorry, but no

As much as I can see potential uses of a phone with a small form-factor, the lack of battery life completely kills the utility of this particular example.

(And TBH, do you really need or want a fully fledged Android experience on a handset this small? Far better to run something with lower overheads, and reduce the battery drain at the same time)

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: Sorry, but no

Some people do need Android (as opposed to a feature phone OS) in order to use WhatsApp, Spotify or Uber.

23. James 51

It would be a perfect compaion device for my Gemini, paricularly with the one number concept but it costs the same as the TCL Blavkberry phones. It costs too much. Will prpbably need to be bundled with a Gemini or tablet.

24. 0laf
    Facepalm

Punkt 2

Remember this one -

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/10/09/punkt_mp02/

Cost $350 does even less but the batter does better. I'm sure it faired really well in the comments....

25. Chris G

Taking the p**s

Vodafone might not be your friend, here is a slightly different iteration by LTE;

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Mini-Phone-AIEK-X6-Color-Screen-Cell-pone-Ultra-Thin-Mobile-Phone/32689026290.html?spm=2114.search0104.3.9.55c87773MdT0Vb&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_4_10065_10068_10890_10547_319_10546_317_10548_10696_453_10084_454_10083_10618_10307_10820_538_10303_537_536_10059_10884_10887_100031_321_322_10103,searchweb201603_51,ppcSwitch_0&algo_expid=36879c34-1dc8-4b08-bd26-4060013bd048-1&algo_pvid=36879c34-1dc8-4b08-bd26-4060013bd048

26. Phil Endecott

I though tiny phones were being banned because people were smuggling them into prisons in their “coin pockets”.

27. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The most interesting thing about this article....

.... is that I now know the name / purpose of that little pocket inside my pocket. (Perfect for my phone's phone...).

I was thinking just the other day I should google that up....

28. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Happy

Already covered

I use a granny Doro phone. Cost me 20 squids, Voice & text only. Real buttons. Battery lasts for ages, and PAYG.

P.S. Yes I am a cheapskate.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

Re: Already covered

Upvoted for being a cheapskate. And for showing that it is possible to be technically literate and still happily exist with a phone that is, well, just a phone.

2. Tom 7

Re: Already covered

Can you tether from it? All I want from a phone is a way to talk to others on phones, text messaging and the ability to connect my laptop to the internet via it should I really have to.

29. AdamBoy64

A smartphone for your smartphone..

I'd be excited about this device if it didn't need to be tied to another smartphone. Perhaps if this is successful enough they might expand their range.

Nice to see something different, regardless.

30. JeevesMkII

350 quid? Nokia take note.

If they want 350 quid for this thing, maybe Nokia has a business on their hands. Go around ebay and hoover up every N97 mini for sale. Pay someone to update the TLS library, patch Opera Mini to use a new proxy. Bob's your uncle, 300 quid profit for every unit.

1. AK565

Re: 350 quid? Nokia take note.

Are the frequencies the N97 Mini uses even available any more?

Personally, I'd love an E55 with a taller, up to date screen.

31. This post has been deleted by its author

32. joejack

Santa bring me...

No, not this gimmick. How about a 16x9 or 4x3 5-inch bezel-less phone with a headphone jack, a recent Bluetooth stack and DAC, an 835 or better CPU, and Gorilla Glass 4 (because 5+ gets scratched when you look at it sideways). 128GB, because it's almost 2019. A small phone likely won't have room for an SD card slot or removable battery. That's forgivable, so long as it's waterproof. Also, a useful battery and being easy to hold is way more useful than being razor-thin. With a composite plastic body (ok, very 2013) you won't even need a protective case.

I would love to see a manufacturer take a gamble of "function over form" like this.

1. AK565

Re: Santa bring me...

Function over form? You mean like an updated version of the Lotus Elite?

I loved that phone....

https://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=231&p=all#page1697

33. Phil Kingston

Nice to see...

a review written by someone who gets what this device is for. All the US reviews a couple of months back were by yanks who just didn't understand it.

34. Alistair Dabbs

Oh dear

Sorry, Andrew, but this product looks like such an utter first-world pile of steaming fad.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Oh dear

> Sorry, Andrew, but this product looks like such an utter first-world pile of steaming fad.

Spoiler alert for Friday's column...

2. xanda

Re: Oh dear

C'mon - all smartphones are fadware...

35. PeterM42
    Thumb Up

But........................

What about the Unihertz Jelly Pro? Which I think is slightly smaller, runs Android 8, Dual SIM, headphone jack, 4G, takes a MicroSD card, Bluetooth, front and rear cameras, etc, etc and costs only £99.99 on Amazon.

36. Milton

Fuss, why ...?

I'm still slightly puzzled by the attention this little gadget is attracting. It must be at least four years ago I acquired a phone-cum-Bluetooth-headset which is genuinely tiny. It was a bit of a gimmick; build quality wasn't great (Chinese) and it died when the battery expanded and pushed the back off—but it worked.

The dormant device is in front of me now. It's 7cm long, about 2.2cm wide and about 12mm thick. It has a full dialler keypad, μUSB and a midi-SIM slot. It looks very much like any old dumbphone but vastly shrunken. You could use it as a phone in its own right or it would act as a Bluetooth headset for a separate phone; it is so small that with a little plastic loop it hangs directly on the ear.

Like I said, a gimmick, not as useful as I'd thought it might be, but an interesting one at that: and I believe I've seen very similar-looking items in the neon-tat-crap shops on our high street just recently.

So what exactly is the hype about, here? Another device that's a bit too much of a compromise to be useful? Or am I missing something?

37. Mobile Mole

Pricing

People complaining about the price of this thing need to think a little bit about economies of scale. This is the reason that even the cheapest smartphones are now 5" plus and use many common components. Making something this far outside of "normal" costs more. It's simple economics - smaller does not mean cheaper.

BTW - I used one of these briefly a few weeks ago and it's cute but a bit of a gimmick in my view.

38. hititzombisi

Mildly interested until I read the price. £50, maybe. £350, fuck off, that's a joke.

39. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lovely and rounded, perfect for smuggling into prison up your arse.

40. Dexter

If it were half the price and had double the battery life, I'd buy it like a shot. I hate big phones.

41. Christian Berger

Looks like the Unihertz Jelly

And that's a cheap and cheerful little device. I mostly use it as an LTE WLAN router and a telephone. Works fairly well.

42. jbbbarr

"mid-naughties"

Please elaborate :) I'll take some mid-naughties for XMAS!

43. GeorgeThorogood

If you love this look at the unihertz jelly pro

look at - www.unihertz.com

Nice little LTE upgraded to Oreo 8.1 micro droid .. same issues with battery life though.

(No affiliation with them .. just liked the mini phone idea .. so bought one for £99.99 ... On Amazon)

44. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is what I want

https://regmedia.co.uk/2011/02/02/blackberry_7200.jpg

- and even that has got some crap on it that I never wanted (the game, and internet connectivity)! Absolutely lovely phone, excellent battery life, and even though I didn't even want the internet on it, I did use it once, to sneak a peek at Spaceship One at work when I should have been doing other stuff rather than keeping tabs on a historic sub-orbital flight in 2004.

Sorry, but the Palm Palm in the review is pure ripoff - and a sad comment on how featuritis has turned a useful concept - the mobile 'phone - into over-featured nearly unusable overpriced crap. IMHO, of course.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like