back to article Brazil bested by hackers, Virgin plugs hub bugs, and France surrenders… records

It was pretty hectic security week, between the Sharpshooter malware attack, a massive Patch Tuesday, and yet another Facebook privacy fail. Here's what else broke: Message apps leave the side door open Researchers with Cisco Talos are warning that secure messaging apps including Signal, Telegram, and WhatsApp are leaving …

1. Richard Jones 1
    Unhappy

Possible Panic Vector?

While the security risk of the French break in should be low, sending out mock alerts could result in either panic or a devaluation of the value of the system. I would expect the former as a potential risk as some do delight in spreading disturbance or promoting panic.

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Re: Possible Panic Vector?

These hacks have been going on so long and happening so often that I suspect most people have just given up caring, it's "Hack Fatigue" (kinda like Brexit fatigue) you read the News and just say, "Oh No, not again, again."

What's the common factor in all these incidents?

It's The Internet, we're doing this to ourselves.

1. Scott Broukell

@Version 1.0 - "It's The Internet, we're doing this to ourselves." Yes indeed we are. Also the way in which we silly old humans interface with it, behave on it and generally are sooo gleefully overjoyed at its wonders and sparkly shininess that we just let the loveliness wash all over us. I suppose even an horrendously polluted patch of ocean could entice a few swimmers to dive in regardless.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Serves them right for not sorting it out properly as it is done in "less advanced" countries.

If you happen to have a Bulgarian SIM for example, you are automatically enrolled into alerts the moment you roam onto a foreign networks. You get an SMS with their Foreign office global (and if the location is "interesting" local) contacts and the mobile operator subscribes you for foreign office alerts for that country for as long as you are in.

AFAIK, several other countries are doing the same.

In all cases, your contact details remain with the operator all the time and the government keeps NOTHING on file as it does not need to. Plain, simple, effective and works.

2. dca1

Could have been useful

To implement some basic functionality which is missing from the SH3. I would have liked to get past the hubs port 25 forwarding block among other things.

1. Martin J Hooper

Re: Could have been useful

I want to be able to add other DNS Servers so I could run a Pi-Hole for blocking ads and such like...

3. ElReg!comments!Pierre

Risk of fraud from the French hack...

... should be exactly zero, even if the database had included social security numbers, for at least two reasons : Loans and credit are actually regulated in France, as opposed to some other countries, AND they are not subject to a whacky "credit rating" extortion gang.

4. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Stop

"while the apps themselves are secure"

Not when they ask for access to your location, call history, camera and everything else your phone has.

1. Adam 1

Re: "while the apps themselves are secure"

Unfortunately, they also collect your outgoing messages courtesy of your keyboard app, and display outputs courtesy of your video drivers. But I'm totally confident that these parts of the operating system and apps don't have debug modes that log to disk.

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Re: "while the apps themselves are secure"

Exactly, why would Australia lean on secure app developers (who are probably outside of any legal actions anyway) when they can simply pressure local phone networks to force a system "update" to any phones they want to spy on?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If you have a Virgin Media Hub, you will want to do two things one thing: Put it in Modem Mode and use a proper router.

6. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

"version 9.1.116.608"

Never trust someone with a version string with 4 parts, two of which are three-digits.

7. drewzilla79

Not only by surprise, but totally alarmed!

The line "IT security staff sacré bleu it" made my Monday morning tolerable, thank you for that.

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre

Re: Not only by surprise, but totally alarmed!

I reckon "sacré bleu" is a British impression of the French "sacrebleu", which itself is a workaround to "Sacre Dieu" ("Holly God", almost litterally) which was once considered blasphemous because "Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain". Same goes for "palsembleu" ("Par le sang de Dieu", meaning "for God's blood") and some others. These swears and their derivatives have seen little use -if any- for the past 3 centuries. To my knowledge, the only distant remnant is the occasionnal reference to "blue blood" lines: Sang Bleu, Sang de Dieu, as in direct line from the self-proclaimed God-approved Royalty of old.

Just so that you know...

8. Voland's right hand Silver badge

The usual comment about the headline

When I see a headline like this I always think that maybe, just maybe it would have been a wonderful idea for von Clausewitz and Thielman not to fight for two days rearguard action while outnumbered 2:1 at Wavre and Blucher to enjoy some gegrillt wurst instead of marching his troops for two days to the village of Waterloo.

That would have sorted out the question of "French Retreat" once and for all. We would have all been speaking French instead of English (except those of us who know German and Russian) too.

Oh well, the history is what it is I am afraid, we cannot change it retrospectively. Though when seeing something like this it is ... quite... tempting...

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre

Re: The usual comment about the headline

Let's not forget Operation Dynamo, where after having had its ass handed to it by the Germans the BEF unilaterally decided to retreat to Blighty, anihilating Weygand's counter-offensive plan. Operation Dynamo was a "success" only thanks to the sacrifice of the French 1st Army, prompting the Germans to cheekily comment that Britain would fight to the death... of the last French soldier. This episode, merrily glossed over by most of the Anglo-Saxon world, played a big role in the following events, including French reddition. So erm, yeah "surrender monkeys" alright...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like