back to article Hot on heels of 2.0, Vivaldi 2.2 adds tab session management among other goodies

Only months after reaching the 2.0 milestone, the independent Chromium-based browser Vivaldi has added a bunch of useful features. Vivaldi 2.2, out today, adds tab session management and access keys. Tab sessions are new to Vivaldi but not the browser world – Edge (RIP, or not) uses them. It's a feature so blindingly obvious, …

1. chroot

Tabs

Firefox introduced enhanced tab management in version 64, just a few days ago. I don't know how they compare, though.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/64.0/releasenotes/

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dammit, Vivaldi, stop adding features. I just want a simple browser with a totally customisable interface. Next thing you know it'll be asking me to sign into my Vivaldi account.

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre

I'm using qutebrowser myself, you may want to give it a try -although be warned that it might be a tad too bare for the average GUI user.

As for the feature frenzy, while some may be nice I can't help but wonder about the inclusion of a mail client when pretty much everyone else who tried it came to the conclusion that it was not a good idea -quite some years ago, too.

3. Richard Parkin

Opera first with tabs

I think Opera browser was first with tabs and that Jon von Tetzchner was one of the founders of same. At the time I was a paying user of Opera as it was so much better than the others.

4. Lars Silver badge
    Thumb Up

I have started to use it too. But as I am a linux user I want to point out that you have to follow the advice and copy/past a command to run in a terminal to get videos to run properly.

About to upgrade to 2.2. Like always it takes some time to find stuff.

1. src

Video for Linux is one of the improvements in 2.2. NetFlix etc. should just work now.

5. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Quick question

I didn't see mention of Noscript and U-block origin... does it? Or does it not need them?

Because without them, the web is unusable.

1. Lars Silver badge

Re: Quick question

I uses Chrome Web store.

2. Steve Graham

Re: Quick question

Ublock Origin is available. I'm not sure about NoScript -- I use ScriptSafe in preference.

6. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Another quick question

Can you properly stop auto-play videos from EVER starting with out an explicit user action?

You know the shitty sort of thing now embedded in HTML5 pages to push adverts or just pointless additions to news pages (which is annoying waste of bandwidth if you don't have sound on the machine or are not in a position to use it).

That would make it superior to Firefox that seems to be doing its best to piss of users by breaking useful add-ons, and dumbing things down to look like chrome.

1. mdava

Re: Another quick question

Auto play videos are one of the worst things that ever happened to the Internet.

7. Velv
    Gimp

#ShamelessPlug

8. Milton

It's actually rather good

I'm on the darker end of the Sceptical Curmudgeon Disorder Scale, but I have been impressed by Vivaldi. I came to it by being utterly sick of Don't Be Evil¹, fed up with Firefox, and was hooked by (of all things) the fact that Vivaldi treats zoom scales on a per-page, not per-domain basis: in other words, I can zoom a specific page of (say) a Dynamics instance without every other page belonging to my domain also scaling to the same degree. A small thing, and an absolute blessing.

As I am fond of telling imbeciles¹: the devil is right there, in the detail, every single time.

¹ Cowboy IT "professionals"; senior management; cretin politicians; take your pick ...

9. crystallake
    Thumb Up

Using it now - awesome.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

DNT by default?

Vivaldi remains almost unique in respecting the Do Not Track standard, which is on by default.

The Windows version I just installed certainly had the DNT box un-ticked. Much as I like Vivaldi, sync aside it seems to opt-in by default to most Google slurpage risks, such as search suggestions.

11. WolfFan Silver badge

Passwords

How do users show passwords? The old method doesn’t work any more.

12. Andy The Hat Silver badge

Do something radical ...

and just build an Opera 12 interface, customisation, tab handling, customisable ad blocking and everything that was great and original about Opera, onto a modern rendering engine ... I'd be happy. Stop wussing about with 'new features' and just get the old ones working fast and well.

Opera was my browser of choice from the version 6 (paid for version) onwards (which I think was the first "proper" feature rich release) until they ran out of track, hit the buffers and wiped out the station with the fork-up with version 12.x and 23 with "new features" that didn't include all the basic features that Opera users liked ... von Tetzchner can do it, I still have the faith.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like