back to article Here's 2018 in a nutshell for you... Russian super robot turns out to be man in robot suit

Every year Russia holds – and broadcasts on state television – a tech showcase of its latest products for an audience of hundreds of school kids. This year's PROJECT show, which took place on Tuesday, was dominated by Boris the Robot, who was able to not just walk and talk but also dance and do math. He was, the show and the …

1. Bog witch

Overlords

I for one..... Ah, forget it.

1. BillG
      Devil

Re: Overlords

"The conference had never actually said it was a real robot. And the audience was schoolkids"

Allow me to translate from the Russian: "It's okay, we only lied to children." Or to put it another way:

"A lie told often enough becomes the truth." - Vladimir Lenin

1. Steve Crook

It's not like we'd do that sort of thing. Certainly not at Christmas. Oh, wait....

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

s/Christmas/April fools day/

2. _LC_

This quote is often wrongly attributed to either Lenin or Goebbels. While this was surely Goebbels credo, I believe it is actually from the novel “The Crown of a Life” (1869) by Isa Blagden.

Btw., Russians are rather surprised when you attribute this to Lenin. Even in the Western countries this misconception has only come up about a decade ago. But I guess if you repeat it often enough...

There's your Goebbels again. ;-P

3. Potemkine! Silver badge

"A lie told often enough becomes the truth." - Vladimir Lenin

I thought the quote was from the orange Pinocchio?

2. Jim 59

"And that is the world in 2018: where people go to great lengths to persuade you of one reality and then, when it is exposed, insist that they never did any such thing and it's all of you that are at fault for claiming it ever happened like that in the first place"

And that has been Russia since 1917.

2. Anonymous Coward
    1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You b*stard! Now I have that memory refreshed. Grr.

:)

2. Evil Auditor Silver badge

...and this is why nerds, auditors and stuff are not invited to parties.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Tik & Tok on the clock, but the party don't stop, no (Oh oh oh oh)

"The fact that he had no external sensors and danced like, well, a man stuck inside of robot suit trying to dance like a robot, rather than a machine trying to approximate human dancing"

Indeed. They should have got Tik and Tok out of retirement (assuming they're not still going!) instead.

(Anyone else remember trying to do that "robotic head movement" thing as a kid in the early 80s?)

3. David 45

Action Man

Wasn't Putin in there, was it? Make a change if someone else pulled HIS strings!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Action Man

>Wasn't Putin in there, was it? Make a change if someone else pulled HIS strings!

He was busy doing his own dance routine

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> "He was busy doing his own dance routine"

I was expecting "Putin on the Ritz"...

2. DuchessofDukeStreet
        Pint

Oh. My. God.

Never mind beer o'clock, I now need vodka o'clock. On a loop.

2. apalamarchuk
      Gimp

If this was the case the robot would be much shorter and slower.

3. macjules
      Angel

From what I understand, there would have to be at least room for 2 in there if you wanted to include Little Vlad.

4. jake Silver badge

There's hope for the next generation after all.

Included in my email this morning was a link to this. It was sent by my 9 year old Granddaughter. The Subject: read "Who do they think they are fooling?", the body read "Obvious fake is obvious."

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: There's hope for the next generation after all.

A 9-year-old using email? I don't believe it! I didn't think they'd even know what that is nowadays...

("It was like Instagram, dearie, except that you didn't need to include a heavily-doctored selfie or an artfully-arranged picture of your lunch with every message")

At least she has a healthy sense of scepticism.

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

A 9-year-old using email? I don't believe it!"

If this is jake's grand-daughter, I'm prepared to assume she is a cut above average in the clue stakes.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Or she's been indoctrinated into his archaic ways (not necessarily a bad thing), and it's the only way grand dad can be contacted and will respond to.

1. jake Silver badge

If by "indoctrinated", you mean she is encouraged to think for herself, then I'm guilty as charged. However, I must take offense at your characterization of email as "archaic", Sir or Madam. Unless, of course, you can name a single Fortune-1000 that doesn't list email as one of their most important business tools. Until then, I expect a full and complete retraction of your heinous comment.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not the first time - these are school competitions

There is a very BIG incentive to rig things in state "tech" competitions in (ex) Eastern Europe. The tradition goes back decades :) If you win your school gets a massive chunk of funding direct or indirect in the next academic year. If you are somewhere in the middle of nowhere in a bankrupt region somewhere in the middle of Siberia the incentive to cheat is immense

I have seen it myself and I have had blazing rows with refs myself as a part of a student team who tried to win fair and square in similar events (not in USSR, another Eastern Block country).

6. disgruntled yank

Question

Other than in millions of dollars burned and perhaps hundreds of diagnoses bungled, how do we distinguish this from Theranos.

1. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

Re: Question

It involves less blood?

1. ibmalone

Re: Question

It involves less blood?

While my coworkers may be wondering why I was laughing, my inner pedant wishes to point out it involves about 5 litres of blood.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Either way, it's bye-bye Boris and our hopes for a dancing robot this year."

We still have the dancing Maybot. As she won her leadership ballot by a good margin tonight then Boris might still rue the day he supported misleading "facts" on the side of a bus.

When someone apparently makes something difficult look easy - you need to examine their calculations.

1. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge
      Coat

The only way they would have got away with that would be to put Peter Crouch in the suit

2. Androgynous Cupboard Silver badge

I can't decide whether to upvote you for being correct, or downvote you because nothing related to this sorry tale could ever be worthy of an upvote.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

good margin

Leading Brexiters have been very clear, 70:30 is not a good margin and there will be a new vote in 12 months to get a sensible result - on her leadership, obviously, not anything else.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: good margin

More like 67:33 - an entire 3rd of the party don't support her - hardly a ringng endorsement

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"More like 67:33 - an entire 3rd of the party don't support her - hardly a ringng endorsement"

It is more than the 66% majority that is usually reckoned to be the sensible threshold for major constitutional changes.

The problem for many years has been the First Past The Past election system for Westminster. To game the FPTP system you need to be a large party. Such a party then necessarily combines many competing factions. Both the Tory and Labour parties are riven with civil wars between their factions. Often extreme minorities seek to hold the executive levers of power to implement their policies.

In Europe various Proportional Representation systems allow the factions to be individual parties. A government therefore combines these as needed - usually producing more gentle shifts in overall left/right positioning. Unfortunately even PR governments can be dependent on an small extreme party - if there are one or two large parties dependent on their voting cooperation.

1. magickmark

The problem with PR can be, small extremist parties can hold a lot of power disproportional to their actual size. As an example look at Germany in the 1930's.

PR allowed the Nazi party to gain a toe hold in Government, the rest is history!

1. Ken 16 Silver badge
              Facepalm

Reductio ad Hitlerum

I invoke Godwin.

2. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

"PR allowed the Nazi party to gain a toe hold in Government, the rest is history!"

The PR system then had a weakness that allowed very small parties to get a toe-hold - modern PR avoids that. The Nazi party was actually quite successful in elections at a time when there was violent conflict between extreme right and left groups in society - but its share of the votes was starting to decline. People caught in the middle, and business leaders, wanted stability.

The big mistake was that politicians and business leaders thought that they could control the almost civil war situation by inviting the Nazis to join the government. In the meantime they had already passed an "Enabling Act" - only to be activated if the civil disturbances became worse and quick drastic action would be needed.

When they gave Hitler the role of Chancellor they lost control of the situation. He activated the "Enabling Act" that then allowed him to rule by decree. From then on all branches of the government were purged and filled with Nazi appointees - especially the judiciary so that anything could be interpreted as legal.

That precedent is what worried a lot of observers when the GOP supported Trump no matter how much they had to hold their noses.

Poland's right-wing governing party have tried to bias the judiciary in the same way - except the EU has ruled it not permissible.

1. Alan Johnson

The merit and strength of first past the post is that successful parties have to have broad appeal and therefore can't be focusse don single issues but address most issues and the trade offs between them. The public vote based on these compromise positions and understand at least broadly and most of the time the general approach and platforms concerned. In PR systems, and this is worse the more faithfully proportional the system is, mainstream parties more or less draw and the power is given to minor often single issue or group focussed parties who are often quite unpopular. The decisions about broad policy are taken as part of coallition negotiations with the result often being directly against strong public opion with policies supported by as little as 5 or 10% of the population becomming the price for forming a coallition. It is not so bad when systems prevent very small minority parties getting representation but these are by definition not proportional systems. True PR is a democratic nightmare handing power to small minorities, encouraging political fragmentation and discouraging any real debate about priorities and trade offs.

3. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

"The problem with PR can be, small extremist parties can hold a lot of power disproportional to their actual size. As an example look at Germany in the 1930's."

ahh, that explains why the damn tory party keep winning. but actually have less than 100,000 members..

either that or I'm surround on this island by idiots.

1. Solviva

You don't need to be a paid up member to agree, support, and vote for a party.

1. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

"[...] to agree, support, and vote for a party."

What a voter believes they will get by voting for a particular party is open to debate. Manifesto promises are just that - promises that can be discarded, postponed, or re-interpreted once they are in power. Sometimes that is because they don't see the practical difficulties until later.

For the bigger parties - the local MP that the voter enables to be elected may be of a minority faction that has quite contrary ideas. Should that minority faction gain executive power then voters will rue the day they voted that way.

There used to be a time when our local candidates or party activists would knock on doors. For the last few decades round here the most one gets is a leaflet headlining some of their "promises" in a PR biased style.

I always try to dig deeper - and it is surprising how often an apparently anodyne party candidate turns out to have some personal incompatible ideas.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. werdsmith Silver badge

It’’s more than the 60% of votes that she got from her own party in the second round of the leadership election that put her in to number 10.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

But that's almost like saying if 48% of the country don't support brexit, that's hardly the will of the people to get as far away from the EU as possible. Pull yourself together, man!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Here I am ...

Brain the size of a pl... Forget it!

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

Re: Here I am ...

But I still think you ought to know I am feeling very depressed

1. Giovani Tapini

Maybe spend some time with the doors. They may make you happier

2. magickmark

And the diodes all down my left side!!! I think I'll just sit in a corner and rust.

9. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Russian TV has increasingly been creating entirely fake news segments and pushing them as real – a step that not even Fox News in the US has so far taken.

Surely you jest?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Clearly fake

If it were a real Russian robot it would have broken down due to a lack of spare parts.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Roboflop

Directives:

1) Serve Putin's interests

2) Protect the Kremlin

3) Uphold the cold war

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Roboflop

I'd buy *that* for a ruble!

1. Andre Carneiro

Re: Roboflop

Thank you for your cooperation

1. This post has been deleted by its author

12. Pete 2 Silver badge

Something on TV wasn't real: shocker!

And presumably there were some credulous people back in 1977 when they saw R2D2 and C3P0 for the first time? Or others who think that Eastenders depicts "real life"?

Personally I am surprised they had to put someone inside. CGI / deepfake is so good at producing realistic stuff that a completely virtual robot (and probably the whole show) could be whipped up on a render farm.

1. RAMChYLD

Re: Something on TV wasn't real: shocker!

> Personally I am surprised they had to put someone inside. CGI / deepfake is so good at

> producing realistic stuff that a completely virtual robot (and probably the whole show) could

> be whipped up on a render farm.

Well, it has to appear before the studio audience and interact with them. I don't think holographic technology is perfect enough yet. I'd be really worried if the Russians have holographic technology that surpasses those used in other parts of the world tho.

13. This post has been deleted by its author

14. Paper

в России…

In Russia, robot controls YOU!

15. Mr Dogshit

"that is the world in 2018"

Yeah, I don't seem 2019 being any different.

16. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

As one of my kid's likes to put it:

Trust me, I'm an engineer

Darn, now I'll have that song stuck in my head all morning

17. MAF

And Reese-Mogg is a Robot in a man suit - strange times...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Reese-Mogg is a Robot in a man suit"

No, Moggy in a suit of armour!

18. Timmy B

You have to appreciate the sheer cheek of it. Somewhere someone looked at the cool robots everyone else has been making and said "I want some of that - but I've got no money.....I know I'll C3-PO this thing!"

It reminds me of the time I found out a traveller camp in Cardiff had been but right next door to a metal recycling centre. So they made a hole in the fence - backed up lorries - filled them up with pre-sorted metal and drove it round to the front gate and sold it back to them! Naughty - but so cheeky you have to admire it a bit.

1. Martin an gof Silver badge

a traveller camp in Cardiff

The traveller site is still there, but I think the scrap metal site has closed or moved.

Both links are to Google Street View.

Geograph overview of the sites.

M.

2. IsJustabloke
      FAIL

Nope

"but so cheeky you have to admire it a bit."

Nothing that is pikey related is in any way shape or form "admirable" , I live in a town that is like fucking catnip to them and they are without fear of contradiction the most unpleasant people it's been my misfortune to stumble across. They are a crime wave, they are violent, they intimidate normal people just trying to go about their business. The women are as bad as the men and when they arrive in any pub en mass pretty much everyone else leaves (generally for their own safety) and more often than not the night will end with the publican having no choice but to call the police.

I was once followed into a pub by several pikeys , when the barman asked me what I wanted to drink the pikeys immediately kicked off because they wanted to be served first, threatening all and sundry and me in particular.

In short they are a scourge.

Re: Nope

It’s true but you can’t say it....

2. RedCardinal

Re: Nope

Not that I disbelieve you but..yeah whatever.

What town exactly is it that you live in? The one you've carefully avoided mentioning. Just so we can check your claims. If things are so bad as you say, it must be all over the local media! Perhaps we could ask the police as well if they think there's a major problem?

Or it could be you're talking out of your hate-filled arse...

19. _LC_
    Paris Hilton

How desperate are you folks getting?

Uhuhuhu, the poor stupid Russians! *FeelingBetterAboutSituationHereAlready*

This was children’s television. Of course, it’s not real. Do you seriously think, they’d introduce top-notch technology in a children’s show?!?

Wake up, YOU ARE THE ONE falling for a really dumb propaganda story.

1. Androgynous Cupboard Silver badge

Re: How desperate are you folks getting?

So true. Probably being spread by a pesky Ukranians, now they've finished filling the Black Sea with Cholera. And whatever did happen to the Skripal's cat?

1. _LC_

"When you run out of arguments, you make a fool of your opponent."

I got to know "Goebbels' teachings" at school rather early. In recent years they seem to be applied in a continuous loop.

1. Killing Time

"When you run out of arguments, you make a fool of your opponent."

Who is the 'opponent' here? The article is just highlighting the volte face of a broadcaster you might reasonably expect to check it's fact prior to transmission.

A little touchy aren't we?

As I understand it there was no attempt to pass off the robot as a real mechanoid. But western media outlets are attempting to spin this against Russia as an example of their dishonesty.

I would be interested to know where their motivation for doing this is coming from.

1. RedCardinal

How much are you getting paid by Russia for your disinformation messages? :P

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

So, next up on a children's show, the fake cook who serves mud pies to everyone? No problem with it being fake, but it's how it's presented. I doubt any of the children there were thankful for someone wasting all that time in a robot suit... to what affect on their education?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"So, next up on a children's show, the fake cook who serves mud pies to everyone?"

Food advertising has done that for a long time. It is an art form to make a food display that photographs like (or better than) the real thing. Appearing "steaming hot" can actually be as cold as dry ice.

20. Evil Auditor Silver badge

You call it fake. I call it the rise of the biomechanoids.

True, I'd also rather imagine something like HR Giger designed. But it has to start somewhere, doesn't it?

21. ClarissaO

Pfft

I see your Russian Fakebot and raise you a Maybot

https://youtu.be/XwkPlI5-jLc

22. Spazturtle Silver badge

" But Russian TV has increasingly been creating entirely fake news segments and pushing them as real – a step that not even Fox News in the US has so far taken. "

On the other hand CNN has done this, see the Zimmerman tapes.

23. lvm
    Thumb Down

clickbait

Dude in an off the shelf fake-looking costume with pieces of him showing through the gaps is not a real robot - what a horrible lie! They will be opening our eyes on the fact that Santa's just a man with a fake beard next.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: clickbait

> Santa's just a man

YOU LIE!

I WILL BE VOTING FOR BREXIT!!!!

24. Richard Scratcher
    Childcatcher

Nothing new here.

The Japanese "robot" ASIMO was a similar deception, only that was a double bluff - a real robot passed off as a Japanese child in a plastic costume pretending to be a robot. Their major mistake was the clumsy way the legs were attached to the torso, which led observers to conclude that no real child could have worn that "robot suit". Also, as the years of "development" rolled by, any real child would have outgrown the suit.

In the UK schoolchildren were similarly deceived by Ken Dodd and his "Diddy Men", who were supposed to be a miniature race of people from Knotty Ash (actually a real place deliberately chosen for its daft sounding name) and were famously not the inspiration for Roald Dahl's Oompa Loompas. The Diddy Men all had convincing sounding names such as: Dicky Mint, Sid Short and Hamish McDiddy, and they danced around and sang in chipmunk style voices. But it eventually came to light that it was all a clever conspiracy perpetrated on the nation's school kids and that the "Diddy Men" were actually just children dressed up.

1. strangelybrown

Re: Nothing new here.

The only 100% genuine robot was, and remains, Metal Mickey.

Although why he had a demi-Keegan made from strips of tin foil was never made clear.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Metal Mickey"

A few years ago BBC TV had a documentary about a USA robot made in the 1930s. A one-man invention - possibly this one demonstrated by Westinghouse at the 1939 New York World's Fair.

2. Killing Time

'The Diddy Men all had convincing sounding names such as: Dicky Mint, Sid Short and Hamish McDiddy, and they danced around and sang in chipmunk style voices. But it eventually came to light that it was all a clever conspiracy perpetrated on the nation's school kids and that the "Diddy Men" were actually just children dressed up.'

I am gobsmacked! You have just confirmed my long held suspicion.

So they weren't real after all!

I remember them so clearly and was totally taken in by their names, dancing, singing and dressing up. Tell me, when did it 'eventually come to light' for you?

As a six year old it was about twenty seconds after seeing them my suspicions were aroused, how about you?

25. Chairman of the Bored

Cheap producers ...

Cannot be bothered to head over to

Christies, spend some coin, and buy a proper 18th century automaton:

https://www.christies.com/features/The-History-of-the-Automaton-Mechanical-miracles-6382-1.aspx

26. spold Silver badge

Seasonal

Privyet Santabot! Do you have vodka?

Would 60 gallons be sufficient?

Errmmm.... how many elves do you have in that suit?

Enough to give me some helping hands

Ewwww!

27. steviebuk Silver badge

Maybe its for show

To make the American's think Russia is more advanced than they are. Obviously failed here but you never know, maybe that was the idea. Like their space program with almost exact copies of the shuttles but then abandon when the USSR collapsed.

Watch the documentary about Stanislav Petrov, The Man Who Saved the World. Really interesting. Considering he prevented a nuclear war, by not firing back when their systems incorrectly detected nukes coming in from America. It's bad the way he ended up in Russia. Appears to have just been left in his modest flat, with what looked like not much money. When taken over to the US to see the old silos where the nukes would of come from, he got angry. He essentially said the only reason Russia has nukes is to prevent itself from being attacked or invaded by America. He said they never had any intention of using theirs, it was all just to stop them being attacked. Maybe that's what he believed, possibly not what the higher ups in Russia thought/think.

On a side note, maybe that documentary/film also explains why we shouldn't leave AI in charge of important things. I suspect AI would of fired back in that incident, where as the human didn't and essentially saved the world.

28. adam 40 Silver badge
    Holmes

Best Turing Test Ever

... when they discover that the "man" inside the robot suit was actually

A REAL ROBOT!!!!

1. adam 40 Silver badge
      Mushroom

Re: Best Turing Test Ever

And inside the "man" was - another robot - and inside that robot - another "man" - and inside the "man" was - another robot - and inside that robot - another "man" and then, inside the "man" was - another robot - and inside that robot - another "man" and inside the "man" was - another robot - and inside that robot - another "man" , then inside the "man" was - another robot - and inside that robot - another "man" , then inside the "man" was - another robot - and inside that robot - another "man" , and inside the "man" was - another robot - and inside that robot - another "man" , - and inside that robot - another "man" and then, inside the "man" was - another robot - and inside that robot - another "man" and inside the "man" was - another robot - and inside that robot - another "man" , then inside the "man" was - another robot - and inside that robot - another "man" , then inside the "man" was - another robot - and inside that robot - another "man" , and inside the "man" was - another robot - and inside that robot - another "man" , - and inside that robot - another "man" and then, inside the "man" was - another robot - and inside that robot - another "man" and inside the "man" was - another robot - and inside that robot - another "man" , then inside the "man" was - another robot - and inside that robot - another "man" , then inside the "man" was - another robot - and inside that robot - another "man" , and inside the "man" was - another robot - and inside that robot - another "man" , - and inside that robot - another "man" and then, inside the "man" was - another robot - and inside that robot - another "man" and inside the "man" was - another robot - and inside that robot - another "man" , then inside the "man" was - another robot - and inside that robot - another "man" , then inside the "man" was - another robot - and inside that robot - another "man" , and inside the "man" was - another robot - and inside that robot - another "man" , - and inside that robot - another "man" and then, inside the "man" was - another robot - and inside that robot - another "man" and inside the "man" was - another robot - and inside that robot - another "man" , then inside the "man" was - another robot - and inside that robot - another "man" , then inside the "man" was - another robot - and inside that robot - another "man" , and inside the "man" was - another robot - and inside that robot - another "man" , - and inside that robot - another "man" and then, inside the "man" was - another robot - and inside that robot - another "man" and inside the "man" was - another robot - and inside that robot - another "man" , then inside the "man" was - another robot - and inside that robot - another "man" , then inside the "man" was - another robot - and inside that robot - another "man" , and inside the "man" was - another robot - and inside that robot - another "man" , - and inside that robot - another "man" and then, inside the "man" was - another robot - and inside that robot - another "man" and inside the "man" was - another robot - and inside that robot - another "man" , then inside the "man" was - another robot - and inside that robot - another "man" , then inside the "man" was - another robot - and inside that robot - another "man" , and inside the "man" was - another robot - and inside that robot - another "man" , - and inside that robot - another "man" and then, inside the "man" was - another robot - and inside that robot - another "man" and inside the "man" was - another robot - and inside that robot - another "man" , then inside the "man" was - another robot - and inside that robot - another "man" , then inside the "man" was - another robot - and inside that robot - another "man" , and inside the "man" was - another robot - and inside that robot - another "man" , - and inside that robot - another "man" and then, inside the "man" was - another robot - and inside that robot - another "man" and inside the "man" was - another robot - and inside that robot - another "man" , then inside the "man" was - another robot - and inside that robot - another "man" , then inside the "man" was - another robot - and inside that robot - another "man" , and inside the "man" was - another robot - and inside that robot - another "man" , - and inside that robot - another "man" and then, inside the "man" was - another robot - and inside that robot - another "man" and inside the "man" was - another robot - and inside that robot - another "man" , then inside the "man" was - another robot - and inside that robot - another "man" , then inside the "man" was - another robot - and inside that robot - another "man" , and inside the "man" was - another robot - and inside that robot - another "man" , - and inside that robot - another "man" and then, inside the "man" was - another robot - and inside that robot - another "man" and inside the "man" was - another robot - and inside that robot - another "man" , then inside the "man" was - another robot - and inside that robot - another "man" , then inside the "man" was - another robot - and inside that robot - another "man" , and inside the "man" was - another robot - and inside that robot - another "man" , - and inside that robot - another "man" and then, inside the "man" was - another robot - and inside that robot - another "man" and inside the "man" was - another robot - and inside that robot - another "man" , then inside the "man" was - another robot - and inside that robot - another "man" , then inside the "man" was - another robot - and inside that robot - another "man" , and inside the "man" was - another robot - and inside that robot - another "man" , - and inside that robot - another "man" and then, inside the "man" was - another robot - and inside that robot - another "man" and inside the "man" was - another robot - and inside that robot - another "man" , then inside the "man" was - another robot - and inside that robot - another "man" , then inside the "man" was - another robot - and inside that robot - another "man" , and inside the "man" was - another robot - and inside that robot - another "man" , - and inside that robot - another "man" and then, inside the "man" was - another robot - and inside that robot - another "man" and inside the "man" was - another robot - and inside that robot - another "man" , then inside the "man" was - another robot - and inside that robot - another "man" , then inside the "man" was - another robot - and inside that robot - another "man" , and inside the "man" was - another robot - and inside that robot - another "man" ,

29. arctic_haze

Obligatory Soviet Russia joke

In Soviet Russia you make the AI redundant

30. JustWondering
    Happy

So ...

This is not the droid we are looking for?

31. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Either way, it's bye-bye Boris and our hopes for a dancing robot this year."

No, he'll just ruffle his unruly blond mop, spout a bit of Latin, pluck another invented statistic out of thin air and continue to whiff-waff us with his piffle in his Telegraph columns

(someone has pointed out that he's had his hair cut/tamed recently and that it was 'a waste of £7.50')

32. Jay Lenovo

Adjust the Antenna, Reality just got Fuzzy

Now if you put a Santa Claus in front of children... That's ok, the adults know better.

But a fake robot. Apparently a bridge too far..

33. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Whereas here in Briatin

..we have a PM who IS a robot, in a woman suit!

34. RedCardinal

I seem to recall that there was a documentary on Russian tv a few years ago about the Soviet invasion of Czechoslovakia in 1968. The documentary claimed that the "invasion" was a force there to help the Czech government protect against an imminent Nato invasion!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like