back to article NASA images LA wildfires

NASA has released an image captured on 16 November by its Aqua satellite, showing the extent of the California wildfires which, the BBC estimates, had by yesterday destroyed a total of 800 homes and razed roughly 22,000 acres (8,900 hectares): NASA satellite images of California wildfires NASA explains: "This image from the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

The Mote in God's Eye

So, in the grand scheme of things, these fires are tiny litle minuscule insignificant specks, and human beings are even tinier and more speck-like. Is a mote smaller than a speck? It would have been interesting to have the same views again, but taken at night, to see how bright the fires appear from space.

2. airconless
    Stop

Hectares? Acres?

These mean nothing to me?

Tsk, Tsk reg, What ever happened to the properly defined standards?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/24/vulture_central_standards/

3. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

@Ashley Pomeroy

If you watch NASA TV, they showed a view of the fires from the Shuttle. Tiny little bright specks. Except for New York & Miami, whole cities are just tiny little bright specks.

Why do you think the Moon-walkers came back so shook up? They could hold up a thumb and blot out the entire planet and everyone they knew.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

I'm the speck...

coughing at centre left in the photo. In Los Angeles we have ash falls instead of snow fall.

This place is a threat to health. Everyone stay away!

5. Darkwolf

nasa.gov

It would appear that the NASA website down. I blame the reg for this.

6. E

Burn, baby, burn!

What exactly does L.A. produce? Crap TV, crap movies and crap music. And, of course it produces the L.A. & California media promotion machine. Every year, year on year, we get this ultimate example of the city's self absorption blasted across the media worldwide - I can't even avoid it on CBC: "L.A. is threatened by wildfires! The sky is falling!"

L.A. exists to justify it's own existence and for little other reason. In milder cases this is called navel gazing. In L.A.'s case I think it is more like coprophilia.

Maybe one of these years the whole city *will* burn down. I'd welcome it. I'd even skip CNN - I'd tune in to Fox to watch.

7. E

NASA

So I looked at the NASA pics.

NASA is dropping the ball. I want 32Kx32K pics at 5cm rez so I can see individual structures in flames.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like