back to article He, He, more gassy whoppers: Toshiba spreads 12TB, 14TB drives across gaming and NAS disks

Toshiba has taken its 12 and 14TB MG07 disk drive techn and produced PC gaming and prosumer/SMB NAS drive products, updating its N300 NAS and X300 gaming product lines. Both are helium-filled and, we understand, have either eight (12TB) or nine (14TB) platters. They spin at 7,200rpm, have a 6Gbit/s SATA interface and a 256MB …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Evolve or die.

There is not a gamer on the planet that wants a fixed disk for hosting software. Data dump, yes, games, no. Evolve or die. £/GB of flash is really not that far behind that of spinning rust any more.

Toshiba is already going down the pan, dragged heavily by it's 1970's subsidiary Westinghouse that didn't evolve either. One does not have to be a genius to see that the board are clueless on how to save their sinking ship.

1. defiler

Re: Evolve or die.

Mate of mine mocked me for Borderlands taking so long to load zones. 7200RPM spinner vs his SSD.

So I bought 2x 500GB SSDs and RAID0'd them. Nothing important on them, after all.

How fast is fast enough? No such thing, it seems...

1. Luiz Abdala

Nothing prevents you from adding two of these 14TB behemoths to another RAID 0, or turn them into a raid 5 or 6, and never have to worry again about speed OR storage size for at least 5 years. win-win.

Plus, if everything is on Steam, you could even suffer a catastrophic failure and... just download all of the games again, (if the system drive is a separate one), without losing a single bit.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"...turn them into a raid 5 or 6"

Well you couldn't with 2 drives and why slow them down with RAID 5 or 6 when that would provide no protection at all to a disk of this size.

Either RAID0 for speed or RAID1 for marginal security (unless you installed them from different batches a year apart)

2. Mark 65

Evolve or die. £/GB of flash is really not that far behind that of spinning rust any more.

So around AU$300 for a 6TB HDD vs AU$400+ for 2TB SSD - roughly 4 times the price/TB. That's still quite some distance behind.

2. 89724102172714182892114I7551670349743096734346773478647892349863592355648544996312855148587659264921

Helium leaks will cause cloud servers to lose altitude

1. Ima Ballsy

and the operators therein to speak in squeaky voices

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

and the operator's iPhones to die...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like