back to article Xbox 360 nears 25m global sales mark

The Xbox 360’s global installed base will have overtaken that of its predecessor by the end of the month, a Microsoft executive has forecast. Mindy Mount, Corporate Vice President of Microsoft’s Entertainment and Devices Division, said in New York last week that the total number of Xbox 360s in use globally will reach 25m …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

The big question however..

Is how many of those 25m are replacements for failed units? I have had 3 failied Xbox360's. 1 of them replaced by Microsoft, but 2 of them swapped by the retailer, as they failed very early on in their life. When the retailer replaced them, they went through the till as a new sale.

I bet there are only about 20m ACTIVE Xbox360's out there....

2. aldude
    Gates Halo

Re: The big question however..

Probably very few are replacement units. The retailer is unlikely to sit on them or throw them in the bin, likely they go straight back to MS. I would guess that not even MS can spin the figures so that returned units are "sold" units.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Re: The big question however..

I would be very easy for Microsoft to ignore failed units. If retailers sell 4 units, 1 of which is a replacement, it's pretty easy for Microsoft to just NOT bother marking the numbers back down.

I wasn't suggesting that the retailers were sitting on them, they surely send them back to Microsoft, but knowing how dishonest Microsoft are, I suspect they don't bother marking the sold numbers back, based on failures.

4. Scott Mckenzie

Err...

They can't count a replacement as a sale.... the corresponding refurb and resale would count though, but legitimately so.

They do now offer a fixed price replacement too, if yours breaks they send you a refurb one out with new warranty and on you go, good solution for units out of warranty!

5. Mark
    Gates Horns

Where are my pre-prepard Sony figures of Lies

I forgot to post something about how well the PS3 hasnt sold... bugger

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like