back to article Samsung ML-1630W wireless network mono laser printer

Laser printers aren’t the most photogenic of kit and you’d usually want to relegate one to an office or workroom. Samsung has given its latest offering a makeover, though. Mono laser printers may have been eclipsed in the home by inkjets, but they’re faster and produce better black print. They’re also pug-ugly, built for …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ian K
    Coat

Thought I'd better add...

Coyly hinted at throughout the article, but as far as I can see never actually given anywhere - the going rate for this little shiner seems to be a bit over £100.

They're going to edit in a price and make me look like a blind dolt now, aren't they? :(

2. Tony Smith, Editor, Reg Hardware (Written by Reg staff)

@All

A slight coding cock-up ensured the Verdict box was missing from the end of the review. This has now been fixed. Apologies for that.

3. jai

oooooh shiny

i like it a lot

i'm trying to find a reason for needing a mono laser printer instead of a colour inkjet, and i can't yet

but when i do, i think i'll be getting this one

4. gizmo23
    Thumb Down

Limited printing

I downloaded the user guide to see if Linux is supported and yea, they supply Linux and Mac drivers! Then I noticed a warning on page 4.3. This thing won't print envelopes!

A nice looking printer for home/small business but it won't print envelopes.

That immediately relegates it to junk status. I'm not sending out business stuff in hand-written envelopes.

5. JBR
    IT Angle

Linux?

Having had oooooooooooooooooooooodles of printer problems with Linux the million dollar question is whether this thing will work on a predominantly Ubuntu network

6. Anonymous John

@ Limited printing

I've always found it fiddling to feed envelopes into any printer. Easier to use window envelopes, or a dedicated label printer.

7. thomas k.

agreed on the wifi setup

I got a Samsung CLP310 color laser a few months ago - US$196, incl tax and free shipping - rather nice-looking compact black unit, fairly light for a color laser @ 27 lbs., fairly quiet, too.

Have to agree with the rather painful wifi setup. The 'easy' setup didn't work, due to the printer being assigned a strange default IP address - a 191. iirc rather than the standard 192. that most home networks use.

Had to use a crossover ether cable (fortunately, supplied) to connect it directly to my PC, then use a little program on the install CD to manually assign a new address. Then I could at least see the printer.

However, the web-based interface refused to correctly load the Settings page to set up the wifi info (WPA passkey, etc.), returning an error message, using IE6 on w2k; using IE6 on XP did the trick. Still not sure why that should make a difference, unless it's some .NET thing.

Once set up, it works a charm.

B&W printing quality is, as on your reviewed model, lovely. Color is ... meh (and pokey, @ 4ppm) but, hey, it *is* color.

8. Henry Wertz Gold badge

CLP-510, Ubuntu

I've got a CLP-510. Unlike the CLP-310, it's a bit of a boatanchor (check out online photos, it's like twice as big and probably 10x as big as the ML-1630W). But, I got it for like $250, color, duplex, works well for me. Don't know about the ML-1630W, but the CLP-510 uses a Xerox print engine. Ubuntu has a driver for it, when I used it about a year ago the color was a little off (I think that's fixed now). Samsung *also* has a binary-blob Linux driver for their printers, which hooked into cups nicely so it just shows as another choice of printer model (my recollection is the Ubuntu-supplied stuff was listed under "Samsung" and the company-supplied were under "SAMSUNG" 8-)

Since I'm on an Ubuntu box I looked, ML-1630 is listed. 1630W isn't, but it appears that's just the 1630 with wireless. JBR, I think you're in good shape!

9. David Gosnell

2 to 3p a sheet?

Ouch. Even our all-in-one ink jet does better than that, albeit using non-Canon cartridges. Bet it's better at photo-printing too. Sure, it'll be slower, but you don't buy a laser like this one for high volume printing where speed really matters.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like