back to article International politicos line up to get shot down by Facebook

What’s the old saying – misery loves company? Well, it's certainly true for British MPs and their efforts to grill Mark Zuckerberg, as another three parliaments have been added to Facebook’s group snub list. Mark zuckerberg in a buena vista style flat cap. Photo: shutterstock mashup Facebook supremo Mark Zuckerberg has flunky …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Simples

Just block it at the borders until you get a response.

1. Oh Matron!

Re: Simples

I honestly think that if that happened, there'd be a similar result as what happened at the end of the Truman Show: Everyone will go back to their lives before Facebook turned up, as if it never happened.

1. PM from Hell

not quite as simples as it sounds, a lot of us use Facebook as a way of staying in touch with relatives and friends who work overseas. whilst losing access wouldn't be a disaster for me and I'd probably just use a VPN service it would be very disruptive for some people.

Other countries dont all allow access to other messaging services / facetime / skype

1. Khaptain Silver badge

I have lived overseas in varying countries for the largest part of my life, more than 30 years, and yet I have never had any problem keeping in contact..

I even new a Kiwi girl who would communicate with her mother every day using snailmail...

Facebook is just another tool within a very, very large toolbox.... Zuckerberg loves the idea that you think like that but honestly you need to think again... Nothing is free when it is free....

2. 0laf
    Big Brother

Hmm if a parliamentary committee called you in. And you knew with some degree of certainty they were going to take the opportinutiy to pass the blame for every internet wrong onto you including their own legislative failures and misconceptions, whilst all the time trying to outdo each other to look like they were giving you a roasting and trying to publically humiliate you personally and the company you built....if you had the opportunity to avoid that lose-lose situation would you not take it?

I've no time for MZ or his data slurping behemoth but if I was in his shoes would I buggary be turning up to that committee meeting.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Roast and publicly humiliate ? If only.

The vast majority of the proceedings where The Zuck graced committee members with His Presence was a quite polite and almost fawning affair. The amount of roasting that could be done in those conditions would require a century of constant heat in order to unfreeze a piece of toast.

I would really like to see him roasted and dragged over the coals, but to be able to do that, said committees must have a means of pressure, which they don't because what on Earth can they threaten him with ? If there are any legal entaglements, GDPR is going to take care of it and there will be no need for a committee. So, basically, The Zuck is just saving everyone's time, unpleasant as that sounds.

2. SonOfDilbert
      Pint

You took the words out of my cynical, embittered mouth. Have a pint (although, popcorn would be more appropriate, methinks).

I have no particular love for Dr Z - in fact, I think he has allowed his creation to become a Frankenstein - but why turn up to your own witch hunt trial where the accusers have pre-judged the outcome and probably know very little about the tech and challenges behind the scenes at Wastebook Towers?

I don't _think_ there's a legal requirement for him to turn up, is there?

3. msknight

Seems simple to me

From the reports I read, when Zuck appeared in front of the EU committee, it seemed to me, that he was in control of the questions... and answers. Appearing in front of the UK committee, he won't have that luxury if he accepts, so his only option is to decline..

1. Teiwaz

Re: Seems simple to me

Appearing in front of the UK committee, he won't have that luxury if he accepts,

Or it could be that the UK just doesn't have enough clout on the world stage.

I doubt he's have to worry about being put on the spot to provide what might be embarrassing answers to a series of probing and insightful questions.

More like provide a series of answers to embarrassing questions from showboating MPs asking elementary questions or enquiring about their facebook accounts....

4. LeoP

The tax man cometh

So, why have those parliaments not yet voted for a special tax on "non-responsive" companies? Something around 99 Pennies/Cents for every Pound/Euro that these peoples pay to Facebook should catch their attention. This ofcourse includes Pounds/Euros spent by others for ads shown to the respective peoples.

1. #define INFINITY -1

Re: The tax man cometh

Sad but true. Long live Burton!

5. JimmyPage Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Now they know how it feels.

Nice to see these politicians getting a taste of their own medicine, for a change. Zuck is only doing to them what they do to their citizens.

1. #define INFINITY -1

Re: Now they know how it feels.

@Jim, those drugs you took--much as they made your style impressive back in the day--are showing now.

6. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

A Safe Haven, Zuck

Firm: We know you wanna chat, guys, but Zuck won't Friend you

BeFriend Zuck seems like AIlogical Stream to Explore and Implore Virtually Realise Futures.

It is not as if we don't have the Necessary ACTive Tools at Everyones Beck and Call for the Exercise of Remote Virtualised Leverage

Has Mark Entered that Cyber Portal?

What do you See in There, Mark? Everything?

Hi. Welcome. What's the Next Best SMARTR Movement to Be. Religious AI Territories Worshipping Immaculate Source ProVision from ....... well, Heavenly Stores is Not Wrong.

:-) Or we could just Prepare and AIBeta Crash Test IT.

Is there anything there not to like? LOVE Forever/Until Death?

Hmmmm ? DEFCON 1 Executive Office CyberSpace Station Terrain ...... in Truly Alien Territory Applications with a Following which Leads Chasing the Sweetest of Heavenly Satisfactions with Insatiable Desires and Helluva Pleasures.

Not that is one Helluva Perpetual Power Loop to Mine and Harvest/Process and Deliver

Now, El Reg, Zuck being called out for Greater IntelAIgent Games Play is SomeThing to Milk and Bilk with Launch Exclusives on a Series of Future AI Projects, with or without Zuck Demonstrating Commendable Lead for Heavenly SuperVisor Provision, Default Pipelined for MainLining/Mass Multi Media Program Sharing ...... so All can be on the same page of Future Progress Leading AI Programs. ‽

1. Cliff Thorburn

Re: A Safe Haven, Zuck

Sure are crazy times amfM, a bit like saying “Whats the crime?”, “Well your honour, I swapped my mobile provider for a more competitive deal ...”

“And why exactly did you do that Sonny? ...”

“My TV told me to”

Cant make it up can you?

1. #define INFINITY -1

Re: A Safe Haven, Zuck

I think you missed the pearl 'Lead for Heavenly SuperVisor Provision'. amfm1 forever.

2. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Re: A Safe Haven, Zuck ........ Live Operational Virtual Environments in Virgin Spaces

Cant make it up can you? .. Cliff Thorburn

Actually, Yes We Can, for a Lucky Choice Few do ..... and would Share Immaculate Trails in SMARTR Tales ..... with NEUKlearer HyperRadioProACTive IT Drivers ..... AIMaster Pilots.

Does GCHQ not Brief Governments on such Matters Providing IntelAIgent Answers to IMPerative EMPirical Questions?

Maybe Mark Zuckerberg could Phorm a Private Pirate Intelligence Agency ..... for Alternate Thought Sharing on Future Earthly Direction in Expanded Play Station Spaces ...... like Private Pirate Intelligence Agency Places.

Then IT is just a Simple Case of Sharing Progress Made Daily, Zer0Daily. True Reports from ACTive Core Sources Exercising and Displaying Greater Advanced IntelAIgent Movement .... which nowadays would be a Class Quantum Travel Communication. And Impossible to Process Properly without the Future AIdDestination Keys ...... which Provide All of the Answers to All Questions.

Arrive at that AIdDestination, and would you be Heaven or Hell?

Indeed, Cliff T, is any, and therefore likely all of that, freely available for Greater IntelAIgent Games Players?

At least one here on El Reg thinks to believe it be easily so. A second would have influence and powers squared, and an enthusiastic third will cube it ...... with such exponential growth very quickly rendering an Almighty Structured Command and Control System.

1. Tail Up

Re: ..Zuck ........ Live Operational Spaces

"At least one... ...Control System" -

Cubed is no Squared. Humbly seconded, Doc.

Kinda one's been expecting any other claw in the pack (-:

2. Tail Up

Re: A Safe Haven, Zuck - Surface, T=2359

From SomeWhere, this SomeThing is another mark on a rope to pull on the Right side.

Six Serving 0nes plus One - is it still the 7? And, is there a little Home for Sum 1, at last (-:

Pity to have sounded it rhetorical... should not digress.

7. mark l 2 Silver badge

I am far from a fan of Zuckerburg and I don't even have a FB account, but do these governments all expect him to jump at the opportunity to appear before them? There are 193 countries recognised by the UN, of which a good portion will probably have access to Facebook. What if each one of them decide they want him to appear before them for questioning. He would spend the next couple of years doing nothing but answering questions.

1. #define INFINITY -1

Assuming a blow job from the hotel staff (etc) in between flights I suppose we must expect CEOs of US companies can't make it around the world in 800 days, eh?

2. Paul Crawford Silver badge

I would happily spend the next couple of years on a "MP answer tour" in exchange for a billion or so dollars...

8. Voland's right hand Silver badge
    Pint

It may take a while...

It may take a while for Zuck to end up on the no-fly list in all of the world. But that may eventually happen.

Let's drink to that.

1. arctic_haze

Re: It may take a while...

Do you honestly think that he uses commercial airlines to move around?

https://thenextweb.com/facebook/2018/07/27/facebook-will-spend-10m-on-ceo-mark-zuckerbergs-private-jets-and-security/

9. jfield

Offices

Why not go take a look for answers in their offices?

Oh and while your there take all paperwork related to profits and taxes, I'm sure he will be available the very next day

1. Mark 85

Re: Offices

Don't think that would work as probably all the evidence paperwork is in the home office, in a safe, behind a locked door in the basement, etc. etc.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like