back to article Google flings $25m at Social Good AI contest, Baidu's whips up neural-net camera to treat eye diseases, and more

Hello, here’s this week's dose of AI news. Google has promised to throw more money at AI research that benefits society, OpenAI developed a new technique to get bots to be more curious, and Nvidia has launched its own AI Research Residency Program. AI for Social Good: The Chocolate Factory has launched the Google AI Impact …

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Windows

What sad times are these when random ruffians can say "AI" to old professionals.

“Our residency program is a way to broaden opportunities in the field to a more diverse set of researchers and spread the benefits of the technology to more people than ever.”

Roger the Shrubber, is that you?

Always on the lookout for business opportunities, eh.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Robbin'

and the Hoods.

4. RyokuMas
    Joke

"... how AI can be used to solve some of the world’s most pressing problems."

For some reason, they refused to accept my entry. It was an AI that learned how to detect data-slurping from my PC and update my blocking accordingly. Can't think why they disqualified me...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Watching a TV playing static noise is an example of such a trap,”

In contrast, some of us "real" intelligences just like to watch campfires, waves crashing on the beach, and other similarly natural sources of random-like phenomena. But you artificials go with the static, if it floats your boat better ... :-)

6. Khaptain Silver badge

Increasing Population

It would be interesting to see the results for the following

"How can we control the ever increasing population"...

"How can we find a better spread of the worlds wealth ?"...

"How can we find honest politicians ?"...

"What is a viable alternative to religion, something that doesnt make people kill for ?".

"How long do we have left before nature decides to take back control ?".

"Will Goolge and FB be replaced by soemthing worse ?"

Although I would suggest that the real world questions will remain unanswered where the followingas will probably be high up on the list

"What is an stronger alternative to controlling the sheeple".

"Can you invent a drug that relays information directly to the Chocolate Factory".

"How can we better hide drug money etc".

"What tax loopholes are still available."

"How much more stupid can we make people"

7. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"there are not many people who understand AI"

I would venture that there is nobody who understands AI, since we don't have AI. What we have is statistical analysis machines, and statistics are a rather difficult branch of mathematics to grep properly. Not as hard as thermodynamics, for sure, but hard enough for the general population (including me).

So getting a competent statistician for those SAMs is likely to be difficult, but finding someone who understands AI is simply impossible.

They day we do have AI, we will need psychologists to try to understand it, not statisticians.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like