back to article BT: We're stocking warehouses with kit ahead of Brexit to avoid shortages

BT has got Brexit licked, it told the stock market today – the former state telco said it has modelled for the worst outcome and is stockpiling products in case the UK exits with no trade deal in place and supply chains falter. Britain is due to split with the EU from 29 March and like the rest of the tech and comms industry, …

1. Rich 11

A timely reminder...

... that it's the first weekend after payday and I should spend a chunk of my hard-earned cash on adding another crate of single malt to my post-Brexit stash.

Note to self: don't drink any of it this month.

1. iron Silver badge

Re: A timely reminder...

You do realise Scotland is part of the UK? For now at least.

1. Ochib

"You do realise Scotland is part of the UK? For now at least."

But Ireland isn't

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"But Ireland isn't"

Bushmills is.

1. Paul Martin

The Bushmills distillery also bottles a proportion of the spirits produced at the Jameson Distillery in Co. Cork. They'll lose that work if there's a hard border.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

They'll lose that work if there's a hard border.

No they wont, idiot.

2. Dr_N
        Pint

"You do realise Scotland is part of the UK? For now at least."

You do know you can get great single malt from a variety of sources outside the UK, right?

Grab a bottle of Yamazaki 12 Year Old.

1. codejunky Silver badge
          Pint

@ Dr_N

"You do know you can get great single malt from a variety of sources outside the UK, right?"

For a nice change I get to upvote you! Happy drinking (responsibly)

2. AbelSoul

"adding another crate of single malt to my post-Brexit stash"

Any excuse for a bit of shameless advertising of my own single malt.

One of only 248 ever produced.*

*sort of. ;-)

2. SkippyBing

Because Brexit

This decades equivalent of the Millennium Bug for excusing poor financial results.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: Because Brexit

Businesses inside the UK aren't investing until they know what's going to happen in five months time, foreign investment to the UK is at a standstill until investors know what's going to happen in five months time, businesses outside the UK are finding non-UK suppliers. What would you call it instead of Brexit?

1. truetalk

businesses outside the UK are finding non-UK suppliers. What would you call it instead of Brexit?

I'm finding quite the opposite, foreign companies that have a mainland EU distributer are setting up UK distributers so they can export directly to the UK rather than via Europe which makes sense to keep the trade flowing, the UK is after all a reasonably large market.

2. SkippyBing

'What would you call it instead of Brexit?'

Well in the case of Jamie's Italian I'd say poor food and service, but he still blamed Brexit.

In the case of Boeing who've just opened a production facility in Sheffield, their first in Europe, I'd say it's not an issue.

The director of the V&A Museum blamed Brexit for falling visitor numbers, despite record numbers of tourists visiting the UK.

So I'd say it's a number of complex factors at work, but it's easier to blame Brexit than the organisations own failings.

3. itzman

Great narrative.

Total fiction of course. TONS of investment in UK at the moment

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why not import from America or else where?

https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov.uk/trade-tariff/commodities/8517620000

0.00% duty from outside the EU.

Unless I'm reading it wrong plus don't China and America make a lot of the telecoms kit anyway.

What exactly are they going to be stockpiling? Home routers?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The only thing that they are stockpiling is bugs but it's no big deal, the Brexiters are going to get a great deal on these when we can trade freely with the NSA^H^H^HUSA and China.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The only thing that they are stockpiling is bugs

But that's because apparently eating meat is now not PC,. so locusts are on the menu big time. And witchetty grubs...

2. Roj Blake Silver badge

Re: Why not import from America or else where?

Because in the event of a no deal there will be nowhere enough customs people to cope with the workload, no matter where the kit is coming from.

1. Arty Effem

How long does it take to train a customs drone?

1. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge

"How long does it take to train a customs drone?"

Ages, you have to teach them to read every line of the form and be able to nitpick and then reject anything they dont like

Like for example the export form says "routers" , the import form says "router", that means your shipment is stuck in customs for 3 months while they sort out if the shiper is one router or many.

And god help you if the contents of the box dont match up.. "sorry mate.. theres 25 routers in the box, but the paperwork says "routers" without saying how many... I cant let that in.. its more than my jobs worth"

When dealing with customs and excise, you're always far better off headbutting a wall..... repeatedly, it does'nt take as long and the long term effects are pretty much the same...

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

How long does it take to train a customs drone?

Quite a bit.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

import from America or else where?

Presumably you don't run a business - small or large?

I do (a small one).

Anytime I have to import component parts from the US it fills me with dread. And extra costs. You have to sign all kinds of disclaimers that you are not going to use the goods, or allow anyone else to use the goods for terrorist purposes, nor export them to a host of naughty countries, nor use them for various illicit purposes. You have to sign various financial/money laundering disclaimers and lord knows what else. If any of those get broken, by me or someone I sell the onward goods onto, I could be extradited to USA and face their justice system.

I have to pay a transatlantic shipper/courier to bring the goods to the UK, then a domestic courier to deliver the goods to me. I have to pay the custom and excise duty, then pay the courier their admin and handling charges for arranging the import and customs paperwork.

I have to pay banks international currency and transfer fees, plus their admin charges and whatever exchnage rate they decide to impose.

I have to deal with a company who are the best part of a whole work-day "out of phase" with my workday meaning correspondence and questions take longer to resolve.

Or I can just order the products from somewhere in the EU and they arrive in a couple of days with no more fuss and practically no more cost than if they had come a warehouse in Sheffield. Or Cardiff. Or Glasgow.

Educate yourself by doing a search on UK businessmen/women who have fallen afoul (mostly innocently) of US export laws and see how the UK justice system has failed to protect them and how they were treated once extradited.

Quite frankly I think all brexiteers should be taken outside and shot for the harm and destruction they are going to do to our economy and industry - something not one of them seems to have a clue about in their biggotted and idealistic world they live in, and the crap they spout about doing business with America or China, or India. We already do business with all those countries FFS. All that is going to happen is that doing any sensible business with our nearest neighbours to going to get bogged down by costs, paperwork and delays and drive UK businesses to the wall.

The day that Gove, Farage and Boris are charged and hung for treason will not be a day too late.

1. Martin
        Thumb Up

Re: import from America or else where?

Quite frankly I think all brexiteers should be taken outside and shot for the harm and destruction they are going to do to our economy and industry - something not one of them seems to have a clue about in their biggotted and idealistic world they live in, and the crap they spout about doing business with America or China, or India. We already do business with all those countries FFS. All that is going to happen is that doing any sensible business with our nearest neighbours to going to get bogged down by costs, paperwork and delays and drive UK businesses to the wall.

Have an upvote, for this and all the rest of your rant. I don't really know why anyone would downvote you, but someone has.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Quite frankly I think all brexiteers should be taken outside and shot

Your comment has been noted by the security services, what with the goings on in the US, threatening people that have a differing political opinion to you is frowned upon.

2. Rich 11

The day that Gove, Farage and Boris are charged and hung for treason will not be a day too late.

No. Absolutely not. This is beyond the pale. It is totally unacceptable. You should be thoroughly ashamed of yourself.

It's 'hanged', not 'hung'. People are hanged, washing is hung. Get it right next time.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

My most humble apologies.....

Admonishment accepted.

Though I would be happy to see them hung from a washng line too ( as long as it is not the one in my back garden).

1. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Re: I would be happy to see them hung from a washng line

Your local -er- video emporium probably won't have anything in that particular category. However there's a chance you might find something about being pegged on a washing line.

2. NeilPost Silver badge

Misconduct on a Public office offence??? ... or is that just for bent coppers and council officials??

Add Cameron, Osbourne, Hunt, May etc to the list.

3. BebopWeBop

What it you bung Johnson onto a (strong) washing line?

3. richdin

The UK can have trade agreements in place to simplify matters - without being a member of the EU.

Israel, not an EU country, has agreements with the EU (and exactly like the trade agreements with the USA) to simplify transfer of goods (and in most cases without even paying any customs taxes)...

(disclosure - it's usually the Israeli Standards Institute that is the big pain in the rear trying to get their pound of flesh with mandatory "testing" for anything remotely interesting...)

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

There are still customs controls between the EU and Israel, although there might be agreements to speed them up.

Look at the EEA states which have their own trade agreements. They still have their own free trade area and need their own customs controls with the EU, precisely because they have their own trade agreements.

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Or I can just order the products from somewhere in the EU and they arrive in a couple of days with no more fuss and practically no more cost than if they had come a warehouse in Sheffield. Or Cardiff. Or Glasgow.

Or you can order them from china with no fuss at half the price

The great thing about Brexit is that there wont be all this red tape on US imports. We just do sa deal with the USA.

#

4. steelpillow Silver badge
    Devil

stockpiling what?

I thought BT got most of their stuff from Huawei these days, not from the EU.

Looking at the sales trends, perhaps "stockpiled" is a euphemism for "unsold stock".

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: stockpiling what?

I just assumed that BT were stockpiling to ensure they could charge top dollar^H^H^H pound in the event of any issues in 2019.

By any I mean literally anything - the sky being blue, the day of the week ending in a "y" etc

Sure external factors may have an effect on just how much they might gouge, but you know the chisel is sharp and BT customers are particularly soft....

1. NeilPost Silver badge

BT Shop (formerly the far better brand Dans.com as know of for ages) by’s Tons of stuff for

- consumer/dabs business

- business

- BT’s vast internal IT needs.

1. NeilPost Silver badge

Sorry dabs.com ...stupid autocorrect

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Stashing spirits ?

I've been distilling mine since 2007. Saved a fortune.

The UK has become home to probably the worlds second biggest home distilling market after New Zealand.

6. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

stockpiling products

I wasn't aware BT sold keyboards.

But they could have chosen a better place to stockpile them than the B6479 between Horton In Ribblesdale and Selside.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Stockpiling in case of no trade deal

BT has got Brexit licked, it told the stock market today – the former state telco said it has modelled for the worst outcome and is stockpiling products in case the UK exits with no trade deal in place and supply chains falter.”

Explain, why would a supplier refuse to sell goods to a customer post-exit or is they yet another scare story to promote a second vote?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Stockpiling in case of no trade deal

Nothing to do with not selling.

Just the 10,000 home brodband routers per week, or 4000km of fibre per week, or 100,000 crimp plugs per week, or 1000 Cisco/Juniper routers per week, or 2000 SFP modules per week that BT import may get stuck in a customs blackhole for a month and cause BT delivery problems. Or the customs charges may go up by 50% meaning they can no longer build networks at the projected costs.

Or maybe the supplier will stop selling because it is too much hassle to supply products to one small market with such amounts of red tape and paperwork.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Stockpiling in case of no trade deal

As usual, a brexiter with no friggin' clue on how the economy works, and just like the Trumpites, go straight to conspiracy theory.. Yes, in your world, obviously BT are about to buy lots of unnecessary stock just to stick it to brexiters.. or maybe their businessmen and economics have less of a clue than our very own "Walter Bishop".

You know how the government is planning to turn some motorways into lorry parks?

You obviously have no idea how much longer customs etc. will take.

"Supply chains will falter" because in the real world, there are no magic unicorns to bring stock into the UK with a zero-delay at the fairy customs desk.

No wizard will be able to wave through stuff from "nice non-europeans", and the magic carpet won't be able to cope with the European stuff and all its customs requirments.

8. J. R. Hartley

The title is no longer required.

BT should have stuck with Marconi for their telco equipment. Now we don't have a choice, it's all foreign companies.

9. NeilPost Silver badge

Shareholders not happy

‘Shareholders are happy’ - who came up with that bull.

The BT shareprice has tumbled from a peak of £5 a share to the doldrums of between £2.00 and £2.50 this year over be last 24 months or so.

Let me be clear and repeat BT Shareholders are **NOT HAPPY**

10. NeilPost Silver badge

TV Disposal/Joint Venture

I can only see in Patteraon’s wake BT Sport being depreciated in investment/value.

Solution- sell or Joont Venture BT Sport with Aoon to be Disney’s Fox Sports. and Murdoch will have some revenge on Comcast’s Sky Slurp.

The overlap of BSkyB’s sports portfolio with the Global Fox Sports is very significant and will only end in tears. That’s before you even talk about Liberty Media and F1 and other Sports they own.

... before Amazon Prime Sports and Netflix Sports lay waste to traditional linear broadcasters on the very near future.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like