back to article Need electric propulsion for your satellite? Want a 'made in Britain' sticker? Step right this way...

Thales Alenia Space has bucked the Brexit blues by announcing the first all-electric satellite propulsion module to be designed and built in the UK. The module, which measures 1.8m high by 3.6m wide and weighs in at a hefty 1.8 tonnes, works by collecting energy from the Sun via the satellite's solar panels, and converting it …

1. Captain Scarlet
    Coat

I would prefer "Made in the UK"

Reason being I watch the IT Crowd

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

1. aregross
      Trollface

Re: I would prefer "Made in the UK"

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3 is not a credit card number, ask me how I know!

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
        Happy

Re: I would prefer "Made in the UK"

That reminds me..

"01 811 8055"

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There's 4 UK built electric thrusters on their way to Mercury right now...

There's plenty of electric propulsion heritage in the UK, although the power supplies and solar panels have historically been designed and manufactured abroad.

The thrusters which will be pushing Bepi Colombo to Mercury were made in the UK, in Hampshire. They're in space right now, but haven't been turned on yet. The (smaller) thrusters used on the GOCE mission were also built in Hampshire.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'Ion drive' sounds better than 'electric thruster'; the latter gives me totally the wrong mental image

4. Jemma

Lucas, Prince of Darkness..

What could possibly go wrong?

I'm sure there's a few "flying plughole" badges floating around eBay.

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Re: Lucas, Prince of Darkness..

What could possibly go wrong?

I present for evidence the last 5 years of the Morris Minor service/MOT.

*Every* year at least one bulb needs replacing and very little else.

5. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
    Joke

Thales

Ah, the Great British French company!

Note: Joke icon...

GB does not mean UK, especially as this is in NI...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Thales

Thales Group is a French multinational company that designs and builds electrical systems and provides services for the aerospace, defence, transportation and security markets. Its headquarters are in La Défense, and its stock is listed on the Euronext Paris.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

Don't be too hard on British space industry's lack of creativity, El Reg...

What with Scotty off on the 51st or 52nd year of his 5-year mission, it's like asking for the Renaissance to start without Leonardo de Vinco or Michaelangelo.

But once Lieutenant Commander Montgomery Scott is back in town, he'll just reverse the polarity on this-or-that and come up with a simple analogy to make his technical wizardry understandable to us cretins, and we'll have warp drive online before you can say "Aye, Capt'n"!

1. Dabooka
      Happy

Re: Don't be too hard on British space industry's lack of creativity, El Reg...

Assuming he's mastered a mouse by then of course....

2. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Re: Don't be too hard on British space industry's lack of creativity, El Reg...

Howdy Marketing Hack,

Wanna Crack at Marketing this for Scotty's Peace of Mind and Preservation of Sanity.

Spectres and Cyphers of Lieutenant Colonel Robert Blair Mayne

The Special Air Service during the Second World War

Nickname(s) Paddy

Born 11 January 1915

Newtownards, County Down, Ireland

Died 14 December 1955 (aged 40)

Newtownards, County Down, Northern Ireland

Allegiance United Kingdom

Service/branch Flag of the British Army.svg British Army

Years of service 1939–1945

Rank Lieutenant Colonel

Commands held Special Air Service

Battles/wars

Second World War

North African campaign

Battle of the Litani River

Awards Distinguished Service Order & Three Bars

Mentioned in Despatches

Légion d'honneur (France)

Croix de guerre (France)

Other work Solicitor

Secretary to the Law Society of Northern Ireland

Lieutenant Colonel Robert Blair "Paddy" Mayne DSO & Three Bars ... are Deeply Deployed Out in Fields of Play to Assist?

Methinks that's Akin to an Almighty Force with Immaculate Sources. What Think Ye Be True and Real/Honest and Perfectly Correct?

:-) An Energising Core for the likes of a here

Stay with these URAIProgramming Sessions, for things are moving colossally and mostly frenetically now, and that's going to driver absolutely fabulous bounty to hand deliver everyone everything they think we need to spectacularly survive and prosper and Spontaneously Evolve into Advanced IntelAIgent Beings with Many States of Mind..

Step through that DOOR and you'll be needed a seat for a well deserved rest before FutureAI4Play.

Consenting Adults Only Please .... is Key Entry Default to Deep Catacombed Secrets and Outer Space System Design Engineering.

cc GCHQ Cheltenham/The Director General of the Defence Academy Air Marshal Edward Stringer, Shrivenham [to name but a brace of eagle hawks.]

7. spold Silver badge

Satellites seem more suitable use than planetary vehicles - better for your local puttering service stopping at Slough really. Since xenon is only formed in supernova explosions you are only going to find it at rather select filling stations around the galaxy.

8. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

Actually British industry has been knocking out ion thrusters since the late 60's

Most of them for low thrust or test missions.

So quite a long time.

9. Danny 2

Thales kills whales

Thales make the LFAS (low frequency active sonar) that various navies, including the RN, use to detect quiet submarines and to kill whales. A deaf whale is a dead whale.

I'd seen too many beachings around QinetiQ at Kyle, and reports from everywhere it was being tested.

I was a peace protester at the time, so I campaigned against LFAS. 'Save the whales' seemed too 1970s a slogan so I came up with "Thales Kills Whales", which didn't fly because Thales is pronounced 'thall ess'.

I had a cunning plan though.

I bought two six foot plastic inflatable whales, rigged them with rape alarms tied to a string that was going to anchor them to the ground outside the Thales office in Govan. My idea was to fill them with helium and let the Thales security folk set the rape alarms off accidentally while trying to pull the floating whales down, creating hugely disturbing noise for the office workers inside the building as the deafening whales floated around, while filming it.

It didn't work. No amount of helium would lift the whales let alone the rape alarms off the ground. Helium was the major expense in the plan, £1 rape alarms and £8 whales. Wile E Coyote thwarted once again by ACME plastic whales.

I can see now I should have kept it simple. A graffiti of a whale on their walls with radio controlled alarms.

A year later I met a young mother on a beach at Coulport, and I told her I had an unwanted six foot inflatable whale in my car if she wanted to play with it. She replied, "I bet you say that to all the girls". I was not sexually active at the time but I loved her crude innuendo.

Sadly now, I shower alone in a three foot bath with a six foot inflatable whale. The other six foot inflatable whale went to a good home.

Learning points:

1) Thales kills whales (even if they don't rhyme)

2) Helium is not all powerful

3) Keep it simple, stupid

10. Steve K

Dawn breaks...

Insert your own "sun sets on Dawn" joke here.

Dawn breaks.....?

1. Anonymous Coward Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

Re: Dawn breaks...

The s[uo]n goes down on Dawn

11. Nick Ryan Silver badge

All electric

Maybe it's just me, but how can it be described as all electric if it requires Xenon as a propellant?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: All electric

"Maybe it's just me, but how can it be described as all electric if it requires Xenon as a propellant?"

Well, you have to have reaction mass, and there's no chemical process involved in giving the reaction mass its momentum, so it's a pretty accurate description.

It's a lot more accurate than saying that hydrogen fuel cell powered trains are "green" when the hydrogen to run them comes from cracking fossil fuels...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: All electric

Or electrolysing water using electricity from non-renewable sources (ie most of it)

12. Cliff Thorburn

Rise above IT ...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like