back to article Republicans adopt 'Gore's internet' for grassroots salvation

A savvy online campaign by Barrack Obama and the Democrats is at least partly responsible for enabling last week's landslide victory in the US presidential election. Obama's web sites presented the candidate, garnered feedback, and tried to quash negative whispers. Sites like Facebook served as recruiting grounds to an army of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mark

Ronald Reagan, "the great communicator"

No he wasn't. He was an actor before presidency and was, for the presidency terms he served, an old duffer who was amusing (if you were comfortable with condescending affection and amusement).

Spitting Image got scarily close to what his communication skill was: A senile old man who would be a charming and amusing person to know, but a scary person for "the leader of the free world".

At least GOP are now thinking that just scaring the populace and fluffing their inalienable supporters (the ones who would vote for a lettuce if the GOP put it up for presidency).

2. James Anderson
    Flame

Californisation.

The situation in California is now mirrored nationally.

California is socially liberal but fisaclly conservative. They love sex n drugs n rock n roll. But hate taxes and crime.

There used to be a 50/50 chance of the republicans gaining control of the state. All thay had to do was shout lower taxes, tougher penalties and keep quiet about abortion and gay rights.

Unfortunately for them ( and probably fortunately its citizens ) the party has been controlled by a clique of unevolved bible bashing right wingers who refuse to put up candidates that most californains feel comfortable voting for.

Arni's bid for the governorship was largly independant of this clique and only proves how succesful a moderate republican can be.

This pattern is now being repeated nationally. An active but comparativly small clique of fundimentalist christian anti-everythings will block any move the party makes to align itself with Mr. Average American. This situation is made worse by the ugly beheaviour of the christian right during there years of glory. Wherease in the accepted opinion on fundimentalists was "they are entitled to there beliefs and surely christianity is a good thing" now its more "pompous, overbearing, f*ckwits trying to tell me how to run my life".

Bye Bye republicna pie.

3. NB
    Paris Hilton

big wow

republicanism is still largely the premise of bible thumping retards.

Film at 11, here's Tom with the weather.

Paris, cos she understands the power of the internet better than the GOP ever will.

4. Tom Maddox Silver badge
    Alert

Perfect synergy

The frothing madness of Internet chat boards can meet the frothing madness of the American Far Right (aka Sarah Palin supporters), and hopefully the lot of them will combust in a thermonuclear holocaust of rage and hate. At the very least, seeing the unleashed vitriol should scare off a good chunk of the more moderate Republicans.

5. Rob Dobs

ding dong the witch is dead

truth and knowledge win out over ignorance and lies

6. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Ummmm ...

"Republicanforareason.com opens with Ronald Regan, "the great communicator""

I believe that's Ronald Reagan ...

HTH

7. Frumious Bandersnatch

it'll take more than just a web site to fix things

Agreed. There's as much of a chance of the website fixing the mess the Republicans made for themselves as there is that they'll spontaneously re-invent themselves as an anarcho-syndicalist collective.

<-- I may be bent over, but I'm not an old crone

8. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

GOP?

"God's Own People"

9. michael

al gore

"Al Gore had never invented the internet*. * Yes - we know he didn't really claim that."

but he was still first emperor of the moon? right?

10. Mike Taylor

Landslide

I'm appalled to find myself pointing out that a 7% margin in votes isn't really a landslide. A 3.5% swing back isn't impossible to imagine in four years.

11. BioTube

"Face-meet-brick" election

A lot of the reason the Dems won was the fact that the Republicans acted so badly. Either they'll learn a lesson or be swept away and replaced like the Federalists and Whigs.

12. Henry Wertz Gold badge
    Joke

analogue presidents

"In a fitting testament to the challenge, Republicanforareason.com opens with an inspirational video of former US president Ronald Reagan. Reagan is a Republican whose personality and philosophy some on the right view as the way forward.

Reagan is known as "the great communicator" in certain, admiring circles. Reagan, though, was elected in 1980, in an analogue era before most people had even seen a PC and years before the existence of Windows, never mind the internet that the GOP seems to have overlooked"

Yup the next Republican will truly have to be a CyberRegan 2000 hahaha.

13. James Shields
    Stop

Reagan Landslide

If 7% isn't a landslide, is 9.7% a landslide? That's the difference between Ronald Reagan and Jimmy Carter in 1980.

Stop: because we need to stop Republican thugs.

14. Spoonguard
    Coat

how qt

the webpage looks like it's on a blackboard on a pile of papers! how endearing! how 1998! these folks defiantly have my vote!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like