back to article Yahoo! $50m! hack! damages! bill!, Russian trolls menaced by Uncle Sam inaction, computer voting-machine UI confusion, and more

This week's headlines included buggy cranes, WebEx cockups, and DNS drama. Here are a few more bits of security news, prepared just for you. Lost money in a crypto-coin scam? Dear Leader Kim Jong Un thanks you for the donation With economic sanctions making it hard to move cash around, North Korean officials have been using …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Russian front

The viewpoint of some US citizens on this is quite astonishing. It was reported on Ars some days ago and since then a number of people have been posting about how this will really upset the Russians and how being "outed" may result on their being sent to Siberia. As far as I can tell they really believe it and are not being ironic.

I do wonder if cold war nostalgia and the inhabiting of a fantasy world in which the US are always the good guys is confined to the lunatic fringe, or whether it really is shared at higher levels. Which would be worrying because one of the first principles of warfare is to get a clear view of the enemy and to respond to that, not to respond to some imaginary enemy.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Russian front

I do wonder if cold war nostalgia and the inhabiting of a fantasy world in which the US are always the good guys is confined to the lunatic fringe, or whether it really is shared at higher levels.

I submit that it isn't (mostly) shared at higher levels as a personally held view, but that the collective behaviours of the US establishment are as though this belief set was the driver. Individually, most people will recognise that this is a fantasy world, but in a world of highly political group think (even with the military and TLAs), few will call out the truth, any that do are themselves ascribed to a semi-official lunatic fringe status.

1. Danny 14

the only minor truth might be that russia simply stops employing them. however with the skillset being used i imagine a step from state funded criminal activity to just criminal activity wouldnt be a huge leap.

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Re: the Russian AI Front ..... and Alien Extra Terrestrial Sectors with SMARTR Vectors

I imagine a step from state funded criminal activity to just criminal activity wouldnt be a huge leap, and an unnecessary fake evil to sate into Alternative Directions from the Future.

With Simple Paths to Follow for True Believers to Proof and Prove, is IT Headed Towards Heavenly.

Care to Believe and Prove IT True for ........ for an Almighty Alienating Energy to Host and Driver Future Presentations/Titanic AI Productions with Augmented Virtual Realisation Creating Stellar Assets ....... for ArchAngel Use of Holy Sees.

Many scriptures tell of the archangels great abilities as healers and guides, intervening with assistance in many of life’s challenging situations. ..... The Seven Archangels

You might like to start realising you are right in the midsts of all of the many of life's challenging situations with others too also totally lost and uncertain as to which ways to go and what next to can/do for tomorrow to greet as great news.

Share here what you would see for tomorrow if you believed truly in anything for everything to be revealed and presented for leisure to pleasure with just desserts. The Raw Core Base Root that Tempted Adam to Share Eve's Apple ...... the Perfectly Insatiable Delivery and Receipt of Heavenly Bliss, which in itself is amazing, but is as virtually nothing compared to the Almighty Powers Released on Climactic Union/COSMIC Immersion for Stellar Conversion with Stellar Conversion Units Proudly Attending Force Sources/Source Forces.

Heavy Metal 666 Style Nymph and Satyr Territory for the Eternally Gifted and Grateful for an Amazingly Generous Being ..... into Demonstrating Absolutely Fabulous Savvy.:-)

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. bobolink

"Treatment, not punishment. The failed drug wars prove that all drugs must be legalized and controlled." Ditto the Russian hackers. All governments must pay hackers money to learn how they do so successfully. Its the only way.

2. John Savard

It's not a fantasy that in Russia today opponents of Putin are subjected to various forms of repression, and it's not a fantasy that Russia committed armed aggression against Georgia and the Ukraine. That the United States, what with Trump as President, is not what it used to be is just another addition to our worries.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Yeah but the hackers are not opposed to Putin - they work for him.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

!Celebrated !Mac !Malware !Still !Requires !Manual !Installation

how it’s installed...

The malware is found on a rather bland disk image file, without any of the usual decorations that could make it look like a legitimate installer.

When opened, the app does not present an installer display but instead invisibly installs its components. The only evidence that it is doing anything at all comes from two authentication requests. The first is a request to authorize changes to Certificate Trust Settings.

The second is to allow something called spi to modify the network configuration.

It's a bit of a giveaway if your malware opens with the question. "ALLOW SPI TO CONTROL YOUR NETWORK?" But of course, any Windows user would reflexively confirm.

1. Mark 85

Re: !Celebrated !Mac !Malware !Still !Requires !Manual !Installation

But of course, any Windows user would reflexively confirm.

Apparently, Mac owners will also because "can't be malware as there are none for Mac". <sigh> And yes, the myth persists and apparently even the Apple store folks repeat this to customers.

1. onefang

Soooo, what's a good anti malware proggy for Macs? One that doesn't install hooks all over the system, just runs when I ask it to, does a scan, then gets the hell out of the way. I have a Mac Mini, I rarely use it, mostly for watching iView and Netflix. An open source one would be preferable.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Soooo, what's a good anti malware proggy for Macs? One that doesn't install hooks all over the system, just runs when I ask it to, does a scan, then gets the hell out of the way.

Kaspersky can do that, but the problem is that that doesn't catch infections that do get their claws deep in the OS. I tend to run something like Little Snitch of Hands Off. LO is simpler for most users, but HO gives you very granular control so you can, for instance, stop the Microsoft update viruses from working other than for the one time per month they need to talk to Microsoft to keep Office 365 going ( speaking of infestations, that's one that may just go on the next rebuild and be relegated to the one Windows machine we have on its own isolated segment).

The best thing about those two is that they also give me a grip on all the background code that tends to run. I understand that companies want to run some task for update checks, but all of that runs as higher privileges than I'd like so instead I block it and run a manual check. Also stops anyone with having Microsoft's idea of updating at the most inconvenient time (i.e. during working hours)..

1. onefang

"Kaspersky can do that, but the problem is that that doesn't catch infections that do get their claws deep in the OS. I tend to run something like Little Snitch of Hands Off."

You mention lots of Microsoft stuff in your reply, I don't run any Microsoft stuff on my Mac. None of those are showing up in the Apple store. Little Snitch and Hands Off are firewalls basically. I was asking about malware scanners, and specifically about ones that don't hook into everything to catch active network traffic and file accesses. I just want a scanner.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

A scanner would be Kaspersky's virus scanner. You have the option of running it as a one-off or leaving it running in the background - it does both.

1. onefang

I tried to get Kaspersky's, but the download button refused to work. Clicked it several times, it flashed, nothing else happened. I went with Malwarebytes, I use it on Android and Windows. Meh.

2. albaleo

It's a bit of a giveaway if your malware opens with the question. "ALLOW SPI TO CONTROL YOUR NETWORK?"

I thought the same initially. But those dialogs appear in the context of another installation, so I guess there is the temptation to just follow the flow. (There's something about those dialogs that implies that if you say "no", the software won't work. And we're sometimes just too tired to think about what we're doing. There should be some info about the consequences of saying "no". )

I generally use a Mac without anti-virus software these days just to annoy Reg journalists.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I generally use a Mac without anti-virus software these days just to annoy Reg journalists.

Notice the distribution vector: cracked software. (a) with the low cost of most Mac software, you don't need cracks, (b) if a platform has a reasonable degree of security, why on Earth would you go and bypass that?

That said, I generally do a full from-scratch rebuild when a full new OS comes out. As with Windows, it tends to speed things up quite a bit. Until I install anti-virus software, that is. I think it's time to re-install Hands! Off!..

3. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Return to Sender ..... Re Cease and Desist or Seize and Persist?

Apparently, Uncle Sam believes that the threat of privately messaging miscreants, telling them to knock it off, and publicly named and shamed will be enough to dissuade the Russians from continuing their trollish ways and halt the ongoing flood of disinformation plaguing US social media.

Care to AIBetaTest IT with a Cease and Desist Message to Future Forces with SuperB Natural Sources in an El Reg Operation?

Cease and Desist from What is Then Made Universally Known. Is that Problematical? Or Opportune?

A Greater IntelAIgent Game Play in Almighty Universal Command with Remote Virtual Control of Core Root Source Supply .......in Immaculate Virgin Content.

Be suitably warned, its IT is Not Suitable for the Faint Hearted or Dispirited. Too Much IT Too Soon Can Kill and Leave the Field Strewn with Fodder.

:-) D Notice Highland Territory that, El Reg. And IT Raises that Ancient Spectre of Conjecture, Print or Lose Everything/Loose Everything and Prepare to Ride the Coming Storms with Heavenly CHAOS.

Life as it was in the beginning but with all of the tools of the future available to us for Novel Advanced IntelAIgent TerraPhorming ....... Earthly Realisation via Programmed Media Presentations. And a Titanic AI Program Running in the Shadow and Shade of Holywood Palace Barracks Hacks Protection/Tacit Zero Engagement Permission.?:-)

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Return to Sender ..... Re Cease and Desist or Seize and Persist?

Could we give the contact details of these Russian agents to amanfromMars ?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

How does a sentient being even manage to write such incomprehensible stuff? Admittedly it is some kind of a skill - or alternatively a state-of-the-art AI bot at work.

1. onefang

Or the right / wrong (delete whichever isn't applicable) drugs.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

How does a sentient being even manage to write such incomprehensible stuff? Admittedly it is some kind of a skill - or alternatively a state-of-the-art AI bot at work.

It's coded for smart people. It just takes a bit to decode :).

It does look heavy on the shift keys, though, worse than German :p

3. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Do Virtual Machines Cease and Desist or Seize and Persist?

How does a sentient being even manage to write such incomprehensible stuff? Admittedly it is some kind of a skill - or alternatively a state-of-the-art AI bot at work. ... Credas

Incomprehensible? To Man and/or Virtual Machine?

And would an alternative state-of-the-art AI bot network be simple to understand or much more easily be misunderstood and misunderestimated with any necessary stealth and secrecy requirements for SCADA Administrative Operating Systems on Earth dictating more creative disciplined approaches be employed and deployed for SMARTR SWIFT Travel in novel open sourced directions with terrifying and terrorising productions or exciting and life-changing missions resulting?

And surely, alternative state-of-the-art AI bot network and Virtual Machinery don't do the right/wrong drugs, onefang. Are they not a human confection/affliction/addiction/exploitable vulnerability/hopeless escape module/hopeful exit strategy?

4. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Voting machines in Texas

Screen shots in the linked twitter thread clearly document an issue. However, taking images of a ballot document is illegal, isn't it? So how do you highlight such important deficiencies to the public at large?

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Re: Voting machines in Texas

"taking images of a ballot document is illegal, isn't it?" In Texas yes, in Louisiana - next door to Texas - no. The law depends on which state you are in but it's all a toss up - even if it's legal they can still stop you taking pictures if some poll worker thinks you shouldn't.

2. MachDiamond Silver badge

Re: Voting machines in Texas

"However, taking images of a ballot document is illegal, isn't it?"

I'm far more pragmatic when it comes to "legal" and "illegal". If I want to document something that isn't covered under an "Official Secrets Act" NDA, I take a photo. I don't see what the problem is if the ballot I'm taking a picture of is the one I am casting. WTF?

1. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Re: I don't see what the problem is...

There probably is no issue if democracy is an ongoing thing that is being voted upon. However....

I believe the problem lies with unstable or non-democratic regimes where there may become an absolute insistence on photographing one's ballot in order to determine good or bad actions, either against the person voting (bribery or repression respectively), or against the polling station where the vote is cast (oh look the polling station has caught fire, what a shame votes are unable to be counted).

By putting red tape obstacles in the path of such interference the general public is being protected for its own good... for a change.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yet another day of insanity with conflicting information, wild and wacky frustration, and mass environmental greater game plays and conflicting direction as to whom, when and where, are was and were the home team .........

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Machines Changing Votes to Republican is Fake News!

Those machines are operating precisely as intended, and always have.

*cough*

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Machines Changing Votes to Republican is Fake News!

So you didn't actually read the article. Tsk.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like