back to article There's no 'I' in 'IMFT' – because Micron intends to buy Intel out of 3D XPoint joint venture

Micron has announced its intent to buy out Intel's interest in Intel Micron Flash Technologies (IMFT), the pair's flash and 3D XPoint foundry joint venture. silicon Intel and Micron downgrade 3D Xpoint relationship from friends with benefits to partners READ MORE Contractually, Micron has the option to do this from 1 January …

1. CheesyTheClown

Octane flopped because

RAM prices were to high and to use Optane as an acceleration tool for SSD, it was too rich for most people’s blood. Let’s not forget that GPU prices were triple what was reasonable. There simply was no room in most people’s budgets for a product that simply didn’t give enough of a boost to justify the additional cost as opposed to getting faster RAM or a better GPU

1. druck Silver badge
      Thumb Down

Re: Octane flopped because

Octane flopped because Intel relentlessly hyped XPoint as being thousands of times better than flash in every metric, but by the time it arrived on the market it turned out to have a bit better latency, and otherwise a massive disappointment. I'm not surprised Micron want to get as far away from that 'I' as possible, and build a market for their version of XPoint based on its actual merit.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Micron Xpoint

Micron made it clear that they will use the factory for Xpoint and other emerging memory. Micron has more than a couple options for new memory other than Xpoint that we will see by late 2019, early 2020. Intel will have to find a home elsewhere for its memory (xpoint) and will need to deliver on some of its hype. If Optane DIMMS don't take off by mid next year, Optane will be yet another overhyped flop for Intel.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like