back to article Ex-Cisco chief John Chambers: Tech biz bods are 'too arrogant'

Today's captains of the tech set are just too arrogant, according to multimillionaire and Cisco-exec-turned-venture-capitalist John Chambers. "I worry about our industry — it's a tug-of-war between overconfidence, bordering on arrogance, among some of the leaders," Chambers told Yahoo! Finance. The moneybags 68-year-old …

1. Keith Oborn

He should know

This from the CEO whose company routinely boasted of their "unrivalled expertise in integrating acquisitions". Almost all of which sank without trace.

The only real exponent of humility I see in the uber-rich is Warren Buffet - notable NOT a member of the Silicon Valley set.

1. Mark 85

Re: He should know

I'd love to upvote a thousand times for the Buffet comment. Humble, still lives on his farm away from NYC and Silly Valley, yet intelligent and thoughtful.

2. theblackhand

Re: He should know

I thought Cisco was one of the more successful acquisition and integration companies, at least in IT while Chambers was there.

Looking through their list of acquisitions, a lot of them still exist in some shape or form. At least I recognise companies and what current products they contributed too for about 75% of the acquisitions.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Musk angered the Securities and Exchange Commission "

And he's done it again, apparently by tweeting about the "Short-seller enrichment commission".

I do like Musk, his energy, intelligence, and combative nature are all really good things. On the other hand, I'm soooo glad that I don't work for him.

3. el kabong

"If the CEO doesn't want to be coached..."

I'm curious, could anyone tell me how good was Chambers' performance as a coachee in his younger days?

4. fidodogbreath

Too prolix

...it's a tug-of-war between overconfidence, bordering on arrogance among some of the leaders...

FTFY

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Musk is more Howard Hughes eccentric

#1. Whereas Zuck's testimony to congress...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2018/04/10/7-takeaways-from-mark-zuckerbergs-marathon-congressional-testimony/?noredirect=on

#2. Plus Google's 'empty chair' testimony...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-09-05/google-s-empty-chair-at-senate-marks-unforced-error-in-d-c

#3. Plus FireEye exploiting their workers....

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/10/03/us_government_contracts/

6. JohnFen

Robber barons are always arrogant

...and the big tech companies are classic, old-timey robber barons.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's not surprising, most of the Uber CEO's can exhibit psychotic tendencies, or literally be psychotic - such traits can be a positive when you have to be willing to believe no one but yourself while trying to build something that is truly paradigm shifting, but once you get there and run out of new ideas, your attention turns to being a prick that people now just consider a prick, instead of a genius prick which might make them money if they can invest at the bottom.

1. a_yank_lurker

@AC - One of the problems I see with Silly Valley and Vulture Capitalists is both are often more interested in a quick buck and not a useful product that people will use. Successful businesses with true long term survival are about meeting needs and expectations not getting rich quick. Meet customer needs and expectations consistently and you are likely to survive for many years. Fail to do that and eventually the market will punish you and you might go belly up.

1. JohnFen

"Fail to do that and eventually the market will punish you and you might go belly up."

Perhaps, but (at least in the US) there are so many examples of wildly successful companies (even ignoring the tech space) who badly mistreat their customers that I think there are a lot of businesses who believe that treating customers well and meeting their needs aren't exactly top-of-the-list requirements. And I'm not so sure they're wrong.

But I think that's because (again, in the US), predatory capitalism has become the norm, not the exception.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That's not Chambers.

That's Mark E. Smith.

Unrivalled expertise-uh! Integrating acquisitions-uh!

9. Robigus
    Angel

Irony

Arrogance? He calls his company "JC2" after the first JC who "died for our sins"*.

* Did/Didn't/Whatever and it's not Jeremy Corbyn. Or Clarkson for that matter.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like