back to article Sunny Cali goes ballistic, this ransomware is atrocious. Even our IT bill will be something quite ferocious

The Port of San Diego in California has shipping in outside help to deal with a crippling ransomware infection that is now in its third day. Port CEO Randa Coniglio said on Thursday that a number of services, including park permits, public records requests, and business document filings, have been hit by file-scrambling …

1. Maelstorm Bronze badge
    Joke

It was the Russians.

It was the Russians I tell you, the Russians did it!!!! They are getting back at us for the election hack...wait...they did that to us... Nevermind.</joke>

Probably not, but it was still fun.

1. GnuTzu
      Trollface

Oh Look

More in the culture of hacked ships (obligatory movie reference).

2. Terry 6 Silver badge

So many systems

To me, as a pure naive in these matters it does seem as if part of the problem here is that so many agencies were hit. Are they all sharing IT resources? I'd have thought there was a case for services' systems to be silo'd so that if one goes down, for whatever reason, the rest don't go down like skittles.

But what do I know?

1. Crazy Operations Guy

Re: So many systems

Yeah, a lot of cities will either consolidate into a central "Information Services" group that handles IT for everyone. A lot of times this is run by an outside Manged Services Provider or something. I've also seen some municipalities where one group will get a massive grant, build out a bunch of IT equipment with the money, then rent out excess capacity to other agencies.

This is almost always done for cost-savings rather than the benefits of consolidation. Usually one of the first things to go it backups and monitoring software. This results in all eggs/one flimsy basket scenario which is ripe for RansomWare.

1. Eddy Ito

That can't be true. I heard they keep a box of floppies in the cleaning supplies closet labeled 'annual backups' so it's likely this will be a quick fix just as soon as they find that 8 inch floppy drive.

2. fandom

As usual xkcd explains it all

3. oldtaku Silver badge
    FAIL

Anyone want to bet against them still running Windows XP? Because that's where my money is.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@oldtaku - Actually it's not Windows XP

It is very likely they're using MS Office and Acrobat reader and email to open the attachments. Windows XP is well under the radar now so it's quite safe to use.

1. Crazy Operations Guy

Re: @oldtaku - Actually it's not Windows XP

I've been seeing more and more attacks against XP nowadays that I used to it. Mostly because while overall use of XP is down, the stuff that is still running it tends to be of a much higher value. Pretty much the only things on XP nowadays are going to be machines where there is a damn good reason it is still needed. Like those niche machines where the company would lose buckets of money if the machine no longer functioned, but would cost even more money to migrate.

The most common systems I've seen are those niche manufacturing systems (which would have very valuable designs and schematics on them), control systems for really expensive equipment (that tends to also produce very valuable medical records), embedded management OS for old EMC SANs (which are likely supporting some old, but mission-critical software), there are still a lot of ATMs / voting machines / kiosk systems that use it too.

4. J. R. Hartley

The title is no longer required.

That headline never fails to amuse me.

New layout is fucking shite beyond words though.

1. Marcus000

Re: The title is no longer required.

"New layout is fucking shite beyond words though."

There appears to be more pictures now than a book of nursery rhymes...

1. Robert Helpmann??
        Pint

There appears to be more pictures now than a book of nursery rhymes...

Challenge accepted!

The Port of San D / Wasn't too handy / With AV or countermeasures

Given a ransom / That was quite handsome... / To pay or give up their treasures?

Still shaking their heads / They bring in the Feds. / Will they make this go away?

The exploit was APT, / For cash they'll be strapped / And files in the locker to stay.

It's Friday, a time for really bad poetry (I'm being generous with the term, I know) and making light of someone else's misfortune.

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Devil

strangely I found out about this ransomware from a UK news source (El Reg), but I live in San Diego. Go fig.

And I think the 'Super Cali' titles are entertaining.

As for the new layout (since it was mentioned by the previous poster), please make it work better with 'noscript' running. Try and you'll see what I mean.

Who knows maybe it's a consulting gig waiting for someone like me to help them clean it up...

(what, win-10-nic? Office 365? Heh, THERE's your problem! - yeah they don't wanna hear THAT, now do they!)

5. Me3

This is the PORT, not the CITY

Separate agency, but the comments still apply.

6. Tom 64

That headline

made me LOL. props

1. Marcus000

Re: That headline

I love it... Mary Poppins eat my shorts... way to go Register!

7. Bloodbeastterror

That headline

Yawn. Doesn't even scan.

8. sizbut

I love the "Lest you think this is only about container ships" which misses the fact that there's another type of shipping that heavily uses San Diego - it's one of the US Navy's largest bases - so we do have to hope the two areas of activity strongly isolated from each other.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

I'm convinced that they are - physically (with armed guards) and electronically (with separate networks).

The US Navy does not strike me as the kind of organization that will hook into civilian IT for potential cost savings.

1. not.known@this.address
        Black Helicopters

"Never forget your (insert name of weapon system here) was made by the lowest bidder"

"The US Navy does not strike me as the kind of organization that will hook into civilian IT for potential cost savings"

Tell me honestly, Pascal - did you manage to say that without laughing? If the Congresscritters thought it would save a few cents they would probably demand the Navy manage with a couple of abacuses between the fleets...

1. Mike Moyle

Re: "Never forget your (insert name of weapon system here) was made by the lowest bidder"

"If the Congresscritters thought it would save a few cents they would probably demand the Navy manage with a couple of abacuses between the fleets..."

Not true! They'd only do that if they had abacus manufacturers in their districts (who were major contributors).

9. EJ

From the SD Tribune story:

"The Port of San Diego said Wednesday it is investigating a highly sophisticated cybersecurity threat to its technology systems that is currently affecting the public agency’s ability to process park permits and records requests, and perform other business services."

... "highly sophisticated cybersecurity threat"... sounds much better than "some plonk clicked on a link/attachment that they shouldn't have".

1. Anonymous Coward
      Mushroom

Highly sophisticated cybersecurity threat

@EJ ... "highly sophisticated cybersecurity threat"... sounds much better than "some plonk clicked on a link/attachment that they shouldn't have".

And nary a mention of WINDO~1

10. EnviableOne

Super-Cali-Fragil-istic-expi-ali-docious

Super Cali Go ballistic Celtic are atrocious

San Diego port encrypted, IT is Atrocious

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like