back to article Cisco shift to recurring revenue gives 3.8 billion signs that it's working

Switch and comms kit biz Cisco reported $12.8bn revenue for its fiscal 2018 fourth quarter, a six per cent increase that is a bit more than than analysts expected. CEO and chairman Chuck Robbins celebrated the highest quarterly figure ever for the company, calling it a very strong finish to a great year. "Our results …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I don't know about anyone else...

...but the company I work for (ISP industry) has just invested x millions in rebuilding the core and we're moving away from Cisco. Partly crap support, partly crap licensing regime, but mostly *PRICE*.

1. The Original Steve

Re: I don't know about anyone else...

Mind asking what you switched too?

I've never really used much Cisco, been a HP/Aruba/Juniper guy myself. Did work at an ISP once and whilst they did have a few Juniper boxen around the majority was all Cisco still.

Cisco, the IBM of the network world.

2. johnnyblaze

So, Cisco essentially change their licensing model to squeeze extra cash out of (probably) very annoyyed customers, but hey, it looks great on Cisco's bottom line!

Cisco products are over-priced and not very flexible, and there are plenty of better alternatives out there. We are absolutely *not* a Cisco house, but are working very well thank you.

1. vgrig_us

Yep, pretty much. We are Cisco shop, but moving away from it. New core is not going to be Cisco, firewalls we're never Cisco (Asa sucks!), WiFi is not Cisco already, slowly replacing all wan routers (ASRs are expensive and licensing sucks).

In a past decade Cisco managed to screw up at every single thing they do.

3. vgrig_us

complete bs

Those numbers are high for two reasons:

- replacement cycle for workhorse 4500 switches bumps the revenue a lot

- recurring revenues get a bump because Cisco forces customers to by 3 year DNA license with 9400 switches (4500 replacements) and licences features (basic ones, like hsrp) separately and on sucsribtion basis.

We are going through replacement for 4500s: it's he'll, can't get any answers - last time we're buying any Cisco. Already going with Arista for our core...

So, don't buy Cisco stock based on these numbers.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not for long, boys

Customers are absolutely baulking at the recurring cost of basic switching. Customers have been opting to stick with Cisco for years because why not. This gives them a bigger why not than ever.

IMHO incredible that they'd cannibalise their customer base this way.

5. johnnyblaze

HP house here. Good value, reliable kit. Lifetime warranty and barely any stupid 'extra' costs too worry about AND HP are standards compliant.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like