back to article 'Jaguar' Cray hypercomputer beats 1.3 petaflops

US government boffins at the Oak Ridge national lab in Tennessee are chuffed as ninepence to announce that they have upgraded their Cray "Jaguar" supercomputer to petaflop performance. "Jaguar is one of science's newest and most formidable tools for advancement in science and engineering," said Dr Raymond L Orbach, under …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Max
    Happy

HOORAY!

I have always been rooting for Cray and I hope this gives them the boost they need.

2. bert Plucker

jerky playback

Can it play Hi Def films without stuttering?

3. Steven
    Joke

<title>

Bet it can't run Crysis on full settings...

4. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Happy

Scale-oooouuuuutttt!

Just waiting for the Sunshiner that posted that x64 doesn't scale to post an apology...

/not holding my breath on that one!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

I want one.

Even if it is too lowspec to run Vista!

6. TMS9900
    Thumb Up

Wow!

Ok, I'm officially impressed. When will be available in PC world?

7. Dave
    Alert

Jaguar

For a minute there, I thought that you were saying that Jaguar had the fastest machine in history.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Wow

"It will enable researchers to simulate physical processes on a scale never seen before, and approach convergence for dynamical processes never thought possible"

...While at the same time setting the benchmark for "windows 8" certification (windows 7 has already been set)

Now which is quicker, this computer or Paris?

9. Andrew Dodd
    Paris Hilton

A machine that will finally run Vista at the speed that Microsoft designed it for

and Paris because she is just as hot as the CPU coolers

10. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

dedicated to open scientific research

Which means that they still don't have the cpu power that Google has for serving up ads or the latest paris video

11. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

crysis? on full setings?

have you seen specs needed to run new grand theft auto IV? good luck!

12. Gordon Grant
    Happy

When Can I book some time on it...

Hmm I'd love to borrow this Comp for a day even a few hours and run a "DC" project across all it's processors...

If it all worked would be nice to see the stats spike for that day...

13. vincent himpe

i bet

this is a machine that can run an endless loop in just under 4 hours.. Go Cray Go !

14. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Linux, I presume.

Fairly long ago Linux was never mentioned, (the word was selfmade or something) now that some 90% of the top 500 run Linux , to day it is unnecessary to mention. And still there are those who find it surprising.

15. joe
    Coat

Hay Mat

How did the Cray super computer turn into a Sun bashing opportunity? Well despite the power it has it will never equal the awesomeness of the opens source ponytail!

16. Anonymous Coward
    Heart

Good old Matt

Gets owned in the Sun threads so decides to troll non-Sun threads instead...

LOL

17. BioTube

We should make sure it's accurate

Ask it for the ultimate answer. If it gives something other than 42, then something's installed wrong.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like