back to article Microsoft's next Windows 10 release creeps closer with a cluster of builds

Still reeling from The Great Azure Outage Of September 2018? Fear not – new builds, new apps and some slightly flaky Android integration were the order of week. Windows 10 October 2018 Update creeps ever closer While developers relying on Visual Studio Team Services (aka Azure DevOps) enjoyed an unexpected day off, the army of …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Android only for the moment?

Wait? Didn't Apple tell us everything launched on iOS first?

Back in the real world, anyone with half a brain would understand that if you looked at a list of applications in your iphone, and then went off to see if there were Android counterparts, you would only ever come up with one conclusion. Guess what, if I go look at the applications on my Android phone and go see if there are iOS versions, I come up with the exact opposite result.

Sadly, cretins in the press didn't really understand this basic concept..

2. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Meh

Telegram continued its support for the platform in the face of a wall of indifference from Microsoft

FTFY

3. Dwarf

Are they doing their build numbers in Octal ?

1. Waseem Alkurdi

Yeah, why not? That would appeal to 9-year-olds.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

meh?

Android users willing to spray their phones with Microsoft's wares can

Don't you mean something like...

Android users silly enough to spray their phones with Microsoft's wares until it has been throughly tested out in the field by a few million suckerscan...

Or words to that effect. Given the solidity of recent releases and Azure fragility we have IMHO to treat any gifts, sorry releases from Microsoft as alpha level software.

We know that they mean well but... how many times have they screwed up recently?

We can also look forward to their event to announce updated Surface Hardware which will no doubt bring a whole slew of new issues to the fore.

Work is never done in the MS world (thankfully)

Don't know how we'll all get it done in the 4-day week that the TUC is suggesting but that is another issue entirely. Perhaps we should just close down the internet for 3 days a week?

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: meh?

Don't know how we'll all get it done in the 4-day week that the TUC is suggesting but that is another issue entirely. Perhaps we should just close down the internet for 3 days a week?

As opposed to now where it's closed down for two days a week you mean?

2. jelabarre59

Re: meh?

The Microsoft Launcher is quite nice, though. Clean, efficient, nice interface, prefer it over may of the other Android launchers out there. In fact, it's *so* well done I have to suspect it was the work of some short-term intern at MS, one that hadn't yet been corrupted by MS design/programming practices.

Which means in a year or so, once the regular staff start getting their grubby fingers into it, it'll turn to shit.

(yes, i did try it out on a sacrificial device first)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I was syncing and sending SMS from my PC circa 2001...

... in an application of mine using the AT commands while the phone was connected to the PC - with no specific software installed on the phone...

It took another seventeen years to get the same functionality with the new "smart" phones and the new shining OS.... you really see when "innovation" and "disruption" are running at full steam...

1. Warm Braw

Re: I was syncing and sending SMS from my PC circa 2001...

There are several applications that claim to do that for Linux - can't seem to get any of them to work over bluetooth on Ubuntu LTS. A long time ago I had a simple problem with MacOS that would support some phones, but not others. I suppose having the cloud in the middle solves the problem of buggy local communication - while adding dollops of slurp potential for good measure.

1. Mystic Megabyte
        Linux

@warmbraw

Years ago, using Ubuntu, I got all my contacts out of my Nokia *(3310?) with a serial to USB cable and gammu. Then used gammu to populate my Nokia *(6210i?) contacts via Bluetooth.

The secret is to create the correct **config file for gammu, then it's just a one line command.

I could have also used gammu to send SMS messages but never did.

https://wammu.eu/gammu/

*I cannot remember and Wikipedia did not give me the answer

**I posted the config files on the Ubuntu forum a long time ago

1. Warm Braw

Re: @warmbraw

That's certainly the theory! However...

2. bazza Silver badge

Re: I was syncing and sending SMS from my PC circa 2001...

I too am not convinced that doing SMS from some other device is not new. I have vague memories of doing something with SMS and something else (Playbook? PC via their desktop software?) on BlackBerries, long time ago.

6. Ramis101
    Facepalm

After April, Surely they won't fuck it up (that badly) again

Gets comfy chair, some popcorn, and a still perfectly serviceable Win7 laptop out to read all the doom & gloom stories

1. Waseem Alkurdi
      Linux

Re: After April, Surely they won't fuck it up (that badly) again

still perfectly serviceable

Win7

No, sir. It isn't.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Correction: "...with a cluster of builds..."

Surely the headline should have been:

"...with a clusterf**k of builds..."

....YACF....or "Yet Another ClusterF**k"....starting with Windows 95..........

8. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge

Meh here too

Just waiting for it to be generally released.. installed on the works PCs and find out what its reset, changed, and fucked up this time.....

Come on m$ give us something we all want to see (apart from you going bust) ....

Windows classic UI... just like win7 had....

1. Waseem Alkurdi
      Windows

Re: Meh here too

installed on the works PCs

And who's gonna clean up this mess? The IT guys?

Windows classic UI... just like win7 had....

And nope, we both know that this is not gonna happen, at least officially, except if there was some shuffling around in the upper echelons of corporate M$.

9. Hans 1
    Joke

Windows 10 October 2018 Update

ETA sometime in December!

10. mark l 2 Silver badge

Airdroid app for Android has been around since at least about 2012 and lets you send and read SMS message from your PC, as well as download photos, change your phones wallpaper, ringtones, upload and download files to your phone and more. I have only ever used it with my phone and PC on the same WiFi network but it is supposed to work even if they are on different networks if you login with an Airdroid account. You connect to the app on the phone using your computers web browser as well, so its platform independent so you can use it from Linux, BSD, Mac OS etc as well as Windows PCs.

That being said I rarely SMS now as other internet based messaging apps such as Whatsapp have replaced them and ATM Airdroid doesn't work with these 3rd party messaging apps

11. Terafirma-NZ

Kernel or apps

Um.. was that just a long list of apps getting updates and rather than using the app store to do so or offer them we have to do a full new OS upgrade?

Wasn't edge meant to break the dependency between the OS and the browser but has only made is bigger?

Feels more like they are now creating updates to fulfill the as a service pitch than actually improving anything.

12. MMR

SMS on your computer

Ah, good. Microsoft working on something Nokia did 15 years ago.

1. Waseem Alkurdi

Re: SMS on your computer

Nokia PC Suite!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like