back to article Canny Brits are nuking the phone bundle

New research has highlighted a revolution in how Brits buy phones as punters become more discerning. Consumers are now more aware that they can buy the phone and the network access separately, and are increasingly doing so. "Many were totally unaware of the true value of the plan, and this marks a real change," CCS Insight …

1. Christian Berger

I never quite understood why one would get a bundle

I mean apparently carriers don't even replace it if it breaks, so in effect you are paying nearly normal price for a limited selection of nearly identical devices. If you are unlucky, you get locked devices which are completely unneccesary work.

I mean there used to be good offers, like the ones from the (now defuct) German carrier QUAM. They offered you a 24 month contract with 10 DM minimal fee. For that you got a "free" mobile, plus 240 DM in debit. So most people simply went there, got a contract, quit it immediately and therefore paid nothing, but walked away with an unlocked mobile phone.

1. Ogi
      Thumb Down

Re: I never quite understood why one would get a bundle

I never understood it either. I once worked it out. In order to get the latest Samsung (I think it was the note II at the time), I would have had to sign up for a 24 month contract at £45 a month.

The phone could be bought for around £300 at the time if I remember correctly, whereas it would have cost me a total of £1080 over 24 months to get the bundle (If I didn't exceed the bundle data/minutes/SMS limits, and didn't do any roaming). Assuming retail price for the phone, the rest of the bundle would have cost me £780 in total, or £32.50 a month.

Instead I bought it outright, and took a rolling monthly "sim only" contract at 15 a month. It seemed like a better financial deal, with the ability to leave in a month without penalty if a better deal comes along.

Nothing worse then being locked into a contract for 24 months. The provider doesn't bother treating you well, because they know you can't leave without a hefty charge, so they can push you further knowing you will tolerate it.

The phone is not protected, so if you break it before the contract expires, you still have to pay the full bundle cost (+ get another phone), and if better cheaper deals come along, you can't take advantage to switch.

Not to mention is that until the "bundle" is paid off, the phone is not yours, but theirs. So it is locked, so you can't use another sim (e.g. if you go abroad and want to avoid roaming costs), and usually you can't unlock/root/reflash the OS either.

I remember finding out that T-mobile would install their own root SSL certificate and MITM all data through their proxies, ostensibly to reduce bandwidth usage, but you could not remove this (IMO) gross violation of privacy and security risk. It was baked into "their" phone via custom firmware, and there wasn't a thing you could do about it until the bundle was complete and they would give you the codes to unlock the phone (and even then, getting the codes out of them is an exercise in pulling teeth).

Basically downsides all round for the customer, but a lot of benefit for the bundle providers, from my vantage point. I am surprised people bought bundles at all, perhaps those who just looked at the monthly cost and considered it cheaper than the upfront purchase, with no concern for total cost of ownership.

1. Anonymous Bullard

I once worked it out.

Well, there you have it. You just made yourself not their target customer.

The train of thought is: Hmm.. 300 quid is a lot of money... £45? I can afford that!

1. JimboSmith Silver badge

I worked with someone who told me that his family was always short of cash even after payday. Part of the reason for this was that he was useless at working things out and spent money like it was going out of fashion. So lunch was always at the local sushi restaurant and food for the home bought at Wholefoods. However it was the mobile contract that made me concerned because he was on £45/month so £540 a year. He didn't see £540 he saw £45 which given the state of his finances even that should have been worrying him. This was to get the latest handset which he admitted he probably didn't need. All he did was WhatsApp, play Angry Birds and make the odd phone call. He had a work phone which he used for data and work calls. It was a two year contract and so he was paying over a grand for something he did not need. We worked out he could have been on PAYG as opposed to a contract and bought a sim free cheaper phone. Would have saved a small fortune but he wouldn't be told, there's no helping some people.

2. werdsmith Silver badge

Frequently done on O2 where the equipment purchase and airtime are itemised separately, the airtime can be immediately cancelled and the equipment costs paid off, with the free unlock requested first.

Half price phones.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

While your Note 2 worked out cheaper on unbundled, my Note 3 worked out roughly cheaper IIRC on bundle, as same price without contract, but up front, and a little more for the monthly call charges/usage.

However, after that, I've not seen a single deal that was cheaper than cash for the phone and sim only (take your pick of dirt cheap monthly contracts and tons of useage). Even if they do allow you to "spread the cost", it's gonna work out cheaper via credit card or store credit/payments (I think Amazon, Game and a few others do interest free credit on some purchases).

1. Dave 126

Also, if you buy a phone outright you are covered by the Sales of Goods Act, so should it malfunction you can return it for an immediate refund or new unit - your choice. By contrast, if you get the phone on a bundle it is not 'yours' until the contract reaches term, so the carrier often insists on sending the handset away for a couple of weeks to be repaired.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"you are covered by the Sales of Goods Act, so should it malfunction you can return it for an immediate refund or new unit - your choice".

That's NOT correct.

2. SonOfDilbert

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that...

...if you buy a bundle, the carrier is extending you credit and so you are covered by the Consumer Credit Act in the UK (https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1974/39/contents). This can actually be quite useful to consumers who experience issues with their goods as it extends additional legal cover to consumers. This act is also the reason why some consumer organisations recommend buying large purchases with a credit card and then paying the balance off ASAP.

Either way, whether bought outright or on credit as part of a bundle, I believe the goods must be fit for purpose and not break before a reasonable time period (whatever that may be).

BTW, (again, correct me if I am wrong, but) this act and the Sale of Goods Act trump any manufacturer, vendor or carrier guarantees, terms or conditions. They are statutory and cannot be negotiated away. They are enshrined in law. They are a beacon of hope in the wilderness of consumer despair. Etc.

1. katrinab Silver badge

I paid the £789 for my iPhone my Amex, so I'm covered by the consumer credit act. Amex are far more likely to help me than O2 if there are any problems.

4. heyrick Silver badge

As a person on a contract... It was important to me to have my landline and internet provided by the same company that owns the phone lines. I've personally seen months of delays as "cheap provider" and telco argue over whose responsibility it is to deal with problems. Since I live in the back of beyond, I need to be able to depend upon sanity, not madness. That puts the overall price up, but a few years back when a hurricane (sorry Mr Fish, I mean storm) knocked out the line with tree shaped objects, it was fixed and working again in a few days. No argument, just in the queue.

Now the bundle is for landline, internet, and a mobile. It comes in two options. The one with a phone, which costs ~€15 more than the one without. The with-phone contact allowed me to get a Samsung S7 for €100 and upon proof of activation, Samsung refunded me €100. In other words, for €15/month over 24 months, I get a shiny new phone way out of my normal budget. It's a great phone. My new best friend (but that's 'cos I'm sad and boring but anyway...).

I suppose it might make financial sense if you have the money to spend on a phone and only need a cheap SIM for it. Not all of us have the option. That's why I'd never, ever, buy an Apple phone. No hate for the fruit, I just cannot justify a lump sum of how much?! for...a phone. There are so many things of much greater importance that would come first if I had that kind of money lying around.

It must be a strange country you live in where they still bother to SIMlock the things. My phone was mine the moment I signed the contract. I can break the contract at any time but I would need to pay a penalty. So telco doesn't lose. I could quite easily drop in a different SIM and use it. Telco won't care, all national calls are free with my contact (to and from mobile) so by using another SIM it's probably me losing out. When roaming, within Europe it's 3GB of data and 3h of calls per year as standard. From then on, I think it goes to normal call charge as roaming costs aren't a "thing" any more. Oh, and the landline - for what it's worth - offers free calls to most countries that aren't known for terrorist activities. I could phone you, a friend in Scotland, Langley VA, and Japan. The call charges? Zero. Nothing. It's been actual years since I've paid anything to the telco over the usual monthly cost.

You're right that the phone is "yours" and breakages aren't covered. That's why I took out a small additional insurance plan. A few extra euros a month, I'm covered for two "issues" a year. Given the price of a new S7 (less now then it was then, what with newer models existing), it made sense. It would take about three seconds for it to slip out of my hand in the locker room and tumble to its untimely "krshhhh" on the concrete floor. Thankfully this hasn't happened, but if it did...

All of this adds up to an amount that can be justified on a monthly basis. Sure it's higher than other options, but it's the one that offers the most peace of mind for the lowest outlay at any given time. Plus a new phone every two years, and usually somebody (this time Samsung, last time telco) refunds all or most of any given initial purchase fee. It's crazy, they ought to just sell it for less, but hey, that's how these things work...

5. SonOfDilbert

Yep.

Years ago, when the carriers started upping their contract lengths to 18 and then 24 months, I put a spreadsheet together to compare network carrier bundle details. I compared how much in total the packages would cost monthly and yearly and compared those total costs against buying a handset outright along with various SIM-only deals. The price difference is significant and since then, I have never bought a bundle of evil again.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I mean there used to be good offers, like the ones from the (now defuct) German carrier QUAM. They offered you a 24 month contract with 10 DM minimal fee. For that you got a "free" mobile, plus 240 DM in debit. So most people simply went there, got a contract, quit it immediately and therefore paid nothing, but walked away with an unlocked mobile phone.

I can see why they're now defunct. That's not a "good offer", it's a "bloody suicidal offer designed by an idiot".

I don't blame those who took advantage, but WTF were QUAM's management smoking?

1. Ken 16 Silver badge
        Facepalm

As someone who has worked at a few mobile telcos, it seems like the marketing people come out with plan offers to attract new (or switching) customers and get rewarded when those work. The plans get dropped after 3-12 months, depending on whether their profitability was assessed on a quarterly or annual basis but then the customers stay on the plan until they can be tricked off.

If I recall correctly, one vendor had about 4 customers left on a 1980's era small business plan that gave them 5 handsets a year free and free calls and texts (not sure about data) for something like €36 annually - because that was a lot of money at the time.

3. alcopops

Depends on the contract. I saved £100 on my Samsung S9 by buying a contract from mobiles.co.uk It was a Vodafone red one, but much cheaper through them.

1. David Nash Silver badge

"I saved £100 on my Samsung S9 by buying a contract from mobiles.co.uk"

Yes, third-party contracts used to have some great bargains. Worth getting the bundle when it's a good deal.

2. onefang

So the world is catching up on what us smart people did all along? About bloody time, should be much more of that happening.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Without mug punters paying for inclusive contracts there will be nobody to subsidise astute purchasers.

Costs will go up.

1. xanda
        Black Helicopters

Maybe - maybe not...

Prices may go up but it's unlikely - especially in the long term. Customers are now thinking more in terms of total cost of ownership (even if at an intuitive level) and are clearly voting with their feet.

The overpriced and onerous bundles that have been the traditional staple of the market never really had anything to do with the cost of the phone in the first place. That's because, and with a few exceptions, retail prices for goods bear no real relation to the costs of manufacture and distribution. That's why phone models are priced differently across markets - vendors know where they can milk it and where they can't.

There may be some equalisation of prices between bundles and SIM-free handsets if networks go through a phase of determining whether or not they continue with the old ways. Arguably there has been some activity already on this front, with some networks offering contracts with devices that are factory unlocked from new (thanks be the regulators admittedly). They may even relish the thought of simply selling airtime and services as it will remove them from the tedious and costly device support chain - warranty claim anyone?

Those who want the latest flagship and are prepared to shell out will always be there, but mostly the market is fed up with being done-over: being tied into either a poor service or phone that fails to deliver a satisfying fulfilment - or frequently both - just isn't fun anymore.

That leaves the market open to manufacturers who are able to provide commodity handsets at a reasonable price, and maybe even more choice than the paucity that currently exists. While this might mean higher upfront prices (and we can't really see how) in the near term, it will ultimately force the market down as punters shop around.

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

For many, the lower monthly rate is more attractive than a single upfront payment. And, often the networks have been able to offer reasonable TCO prices for the handset which they buy at discount. The price for customers has been in tarriffs they don't need, plus the known reluctance to switch tarriffs or providers on time before the contract automatically renews: shopping around can be a hassle.

But the main factor, I suspect, is simply that this year's phone is not much different to last year's (or the year before's) one. This is also makes phones less of a status symbol.

3. steviebuk Silver badge

Odd....

...that this is a new thing as I've been doing it for years. I think only once in the late 90s did I get a bundle because I couldn't afford the phone unlocked, outright at that time.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: Odd....

I've only done it once, when CPW offered cashback after six months or so, and that covered the cost of the entire year's contract. The phone was unlockable so I could use it on Orange with an OVP Virgin tariff.

2. Sixtysix

Re: Odd....

Never have bought a bundle...

...and all phones bar my first (a Nokia 3210) have been bought from either China direct, or via Amazon box shifters bulk reselling Chinese phones. Oh, and one via CEX (Huawei - still Chinese).

Had some amazing value, some great bargins, and some really dodgy batteries (still have to buy one a year for my early 8core android... that is still on Marshmallow). Saved a blind fortune comparatively.

Obviously not a phone snob :D

4. Dr_N

Not taking a phone from my network means I get €20 a month off my tariff. Getting DSL from my mobile provider reduces it by another €10 a month. All-you-can-eat voice,texting and data even when roaming.

Who doesn't do this? Ah people stuck in the backwater that is the UK. :-(

1. phuzz Silver badge

Plenty of people in the UK go SIM only (myself included). But there's plenty of reasons people don't:

People who can't be bothered to do the maths and therefore don't realise what they could save

People with poor impulse control who want the new iPhone (eg) but can't afford to buy it outright

People who never realised you could go SIM only

People who can't be bothered to make two transactions (contract AND phone)

People who do do the maths and realise that sometimes it is cheaper to get the phone on contract

etc.

1. Dave 126

> People with poor impulse control who want the new iPhone (eg) but can't afford to buy it outright

Apple (with Barclays in the UK) have finance plans to spread the cost of iPhones - over 3, 6, 12, 24 and 36 months. But yeah, you'd have to do the maths.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

It's a few years ago now, but my wife got a galaxy s3 on contract that was cheaper over the 24 month term than the handset would have cost on its own. Sadly they don't seem to offer bundles like that any more... SIM only is almost always the smart move these days.

5. matjaggard

What a rubbish survey

Just a few people took the survey and they discovered things like "Only 36 per cent of UK SIM-only customers expect to take a traditional bundle-plus-phone deal when their current plan ends" - what's the point of that statistic?

1. AMBxx Silver badge

Re: What a rubbish survey

It could also have been worded '2/3 of SIM only customers plan to change to a bundle', which would make bundles look really popular.

Like you say - crap stats.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

So everyone in your country of habitation does what you do?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Your statement could imply you read the Daily Express regularly.

Have you read the survey? How you read and understood the methodology? Have you got the margin of error?

Please use this info to evidence your conclusion.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

All it proved was that a subset of the population lacked the common sense to avoid someone walking towards them carrying a clipboard and asking "can you spare me a few moments of your time"?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I'm guessing you didn't read the methodology?

That says more about your lack of understanding of how surveys work than what the survey tells us.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Last I've heard the survery goes like this: client comes to the company and asks for a survey that proves X. Company designs the survey and selects the participants in such a way that X is the outcome. The client is happy, the company is happy and the general public is baffled.

6. Steve 39

Punished if you buy phone from elsewhere

I always buy my phone outright, usually not from the network operator. Unlocked and free to do what I want with it.

But Three (and others) are now taking a long time to provide features such as Wifi calling and 800MHz "supervoice" to handsets not bought from them. They've finally done it, 18 months after launching the service to those who bought phones from them.

iPhones were ok, of course, just Android.

The solution they offered me over the phone was to spend £630 pounds on the exact same phone, bought from them. No thanks.

1. Kevin Johnston

Re: Punished if you buy phone from elsewhere

Being fortunate enough to already be on a SIM-only deal, when I tried (and failed) to set up Wireless calling with 3 I simply walked rounds the others until I found one who guaranteed it could be done on my phone. The salesdroid in the shop even put in a SIM and logged into their Wifi to demonstrate it on my phone. They got my business.

1. BebopWeBop

3's service although generally very good is still completely shit for calls over wifi (for which they would still charge if I was out of my unlimited miunutes - maybe the key there is that they have no incentive to do it properly)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I've never heard of this "wireless calling" and looked it up following this thread comments. I read on their site:

You can call and text whenever you're on Wi-Fi in the UK, even if there’s no mobile signal. You’ll be charged in the same way as normal (...)

Why would I want to pay THEM for when there's no mobile signal if I were lucky enough to get wifi instead? I would use wifi to call free on whatsapp or skype, or text. Sure, not all my contacts might be able to receive the call their end, but still... It's like they wanted me to pay for petrol where there's no road so I had to take a train instead. No f... way.

1. Chris 3

> Sure, not all my contacts might be able to receive the call their end

Well, that's one reason.

The other is that I suspect the large majority of 3 customers are on all-you-can-eat minute contracts these days, so it simply doesn't matter - the phone switches to Wifi if the cellular connection is dodgy.

2. David Nash Silver badge

"Why would I want to pay THEM for when there's no mobile signal if I were lucky enough to get wifi instead?"

I was in the same position as you, wifi calling is new to me. But I believe the point is that it goes over Wifi to 3, who route the call via usual methods. That's why you pay them.

As you say, you are free to use Skype or WhatsApp if your contacts have those too, and these days probably most people do. Wifi calling has come a bit too late IMHO.

1. ArrZarr Silver badge

WiFi calling is really handy if you're on call and your home is in a signal blackspot for the company telco.

It's not a particularly widespread use case, but it's why I have it set up on the company phone.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Indeed. I can at last use my phone indoors at home, something that was never possible with all the pre-wifi call services. Mind you, texts often take several hours to reach me...

2. heyrick Silver badge

"if I was out of my unlimited miunutes"

Am I the only one having difficulty parsing this? How can you be out of "unlimited minutes"? If they can run out, they're not unlimited.

1. Loud Speaker

Careful research will reveal that "unlimited minutes" are shorter than normal minutes.

I used to work for a telco where the equipment was configured to provide the user with 6 seconds for every minute he paid for. This was more generous than several competitors.

Never trust a telco further than you can throw them.

2. onefang

'Am I the only one having difficulty parsing this? How can you be out of "unlimited minutes"? If they can run out, they're not unlimited.'

This is the telco definition of the word "unlimited", they redefine words sometimes. They also have different meanings for words like "reliable" and "coverage". It's kinda like left pond English v right pond English.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: 3 and WiFi calling

I've been using this on '3' ever since it became available. Works a treat at home on my iPhone 7 (bought from a Pawn Brokers) and at a few Coffee Shop chains.

I've been on a SIM only £11/month rolling contract with them for about 4 years. Never had an issue with their services but it seems that I may be the excetion rather than the norm.

1. Steve 39

Good for you. As I said, it affects Android phones on Three not bought from them

1. Hans 1
            Happy

Hm, I remember WIFI calling, that got canned in France 6 years ago, when Free mobile (an ISP)

emerged with a 40Gb data plan, iirc, reduced speed after that, unlimited voice and texts (incl international calls to many countries) for less than 20 quid/month. It is like PAYG, in that you can cancel any month, they initially did not sell phones with it, iirc, but now do ... they do not rip you off as much with the phones.

This forced the 3 French historical operators to get their act together and stop the price fixing.

Since 2010 at least, you can get any phone unlocked for free, 6 months after the contract was signed.

I now enjoy a 100Gb LTE data plan with text and voice to over 100 countries fully comp (International land lines, only) ... so yeah, it is really cool.

In the UK, the operators are ripping you off!

What is the best deal in the UK, PAYG or do you have phone-less contracts ?

From my understanding, UK PAYG data does not roam or is expensive, correct ?

2. Joe Harrison

Three's website says

"4G Super-Voice doesn't work on other non-Three devices yet however, even if the manufacturer has stated that it's VoLTE compatible. We're working on this, so be sure to check back for updates"

This is definitely not true; my Xiaomi which I imported from China works fine on Band 20 and shows on the display when it is VoLTE connected.

7. andy 103

Customers are (slightly) more savvy and the technology isn't moving as quickly

The other big reason fewer people are buying new phones - and going for second hand/refurb - is because the technology isn't moving as quickly as it has historically. It's also got to a point where it's more than good enough for the average users needs: Do you really need a camera with greater resolution than on the phone you had last year? I took some photos - which are in large frames in my house - in Tenerife in 2015 on a shitty Lumia 525 and I'm told they look fantastic.

The con which most people fail to understand is that if you buy a contract phone - you are paying for both the handset and the airtime/data. Many people even today still just let a contract run on afterwards, when the cost of the handset has effectively been paid off and they could be paying 1/3 of their monthly price for what they are actually getting (the airtime/data).

People are starting to know how to seek good value when it comes to the airtime/data aspect of their phone. I got an email from Virgin the other day which was something like £20/month for 100 GB of data, unlimited mins, etc on SIM only. I'd far rather use that in an older/cheaper phone, than be locked into paying £80/month for 2 years, just to have the latest iPhone with bugger-all data or minutes.

Essentially people are caring less about the handsets - due to technology of older ones being good enough - and caring more about things like data allowance, which is important for most apps and things people actually want to do with said handset.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Re: Customers are (slightly) more savvy and the technology isn't moving as quickly

I use my data a lot, I mean regularly throughout the day, although I don't stream. In a month I barely get through 1GB. So offering me a 20GB deal is not useful to me, but it's the gym membership economics that allow the networks to offer these deals.

2. aks

Re: Customers are (slightly) more savvy and the technology isn't moving as quickly

At end of contract, simply ask for the PAC to move your number to a different provider. They won't put you on to the porting team but to the retention team. Insist that you want to leave and eventually they'll offer you a much better deal. If they don't, you could always switch providers or even look what the best new deal is from your existing one.

Make sure you've done your research first (as always).

1. GruntyMcPugh Silver badge

@AKS "put you on to the porting team but to the retention team. Insist that you want to leave and eventually they'll offer you a much better deal"

I've had variable mileage with this one. I recently left Vodafone, the retention team made me some offers, I wanted a 30 day rolling contract, ~5Gb of data and some mins and texts, they offered me a 12 month contract for 5/Unlimited/Unlimited for £10 a month. I said I wanted 30 day rolling,... they came back with £25.50. I was only paying £30 odd in contract while paying for the handset. So in an attempt to keep me as a customer for 12 months, they lost me as a customer to a cheaper provider.

Anyway, now SIM only for £9 a month, still rocking my old Note4, and happy with it. If I need new Android features, I'll probably buy a new 7" tablet, and tether it. I'm an old fart and don't wear skinny jeans anymore, so I'm sure I'll find a pocket to keep all this stuff in, along with reading glasses and Hemorrhoid cream : -)

3. heyrick Silver badge

"It's also got to a point where it's more than good enough for the average users needs:"

This.

My contact renewal is next February and, frankly, I have no bloody idea. My current phone has a quad HD resolution in 5 inches (it's a pleasing size), a load of storage, a many megapixel camera (I forget how many) that takes fantastic night photos. The back camera can record UHD, the front can record QHD, and the camera app can record both at the same time (one being an insert into the frame of the other). It's a quad core processor with four extra baby cores for when 64 bit ARM times four just ain't good enough. It has a headphone socket. ;-)

Point is, this device does pretty much everything I want. In the past I saw a need to upgrade. Something quicker, something better. Something that can play FullHD HEVC without having a nervous breakdown. There was a reason. There was always a reason.

There isn't now.

Um.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Shysters

Years ago people used to refer to the phone+contract deal with the word 'subsidy' - i.e. they were subsidising the cost of the handset.

It's plain that these days that is nowhere near the case. The cost over 24 months is always well over and above the cost of handset + sim only contract. Bear in mind they still get the profit too of the handset itself.

I think my last contract phone was the Note 2, I won't get another one.

1. Martin an gof Silver badge

Re: Shysters

Years ago people used to refer to the phone+contract deal with the word 'subsidy' - i.e. they were subsidising the cost of the handset.

My second ever mobile phone - a Motorola similar to this one - would have cost considerably more as an unlocked handset than the £75 (IIRC) I paid back in 1998 or so for a whole 15 month contract with the thing. That said, while it seems good value for money, if I remember correctly the monthly free 30 minutes were Orange-Orange only and I was limited to 10 SMS per day - yes, a hard limit of 10. But compared with contemporary deals it actually was quite good value.

For a while after that I had a series of 12 month contracts, never paying more than £15 a month, and gaining such useful bundled phones as the Sony Ericsson K800i (still the best - i.e. most usable - camera phone I've ever had) and the Nokia 6220 Classic (next best - why can't phone cameras have proper Xenon flashes these days?). In fact those two and a Sony J10 Elm are still in the drawer, charged up, as emergency phones.

When standard contract lock-in moved to 18 and then 24 months I went SIM-only, and haven't regretted the move. I'm currently paying around £7 per month (don't use much data) and have a nearly 5 year old Moto G with LineageOS. I'll upgrade the phone when it dies. The contract, not sure.

M.

2. annodomini2

Re: Shysters

It all switched with the regulation changes that allowed users to cancel their mobile contracts at any time.

As the phone was a "freebie" with the contract, you could buy for 1 month and keep the phone, this required the companies to split the contract into the call plan cost and a loan for the device you are purchasing.

When this shift happened, it also conveniently coincided with the prices going up.

9. ACZ

Telefonica own O2 and GiffGaff, so this is nothing new for them

GiffGaff and O2 are both owned by Telefonica, and GiffGaff runs on O2, so they've had their toes in the water for ages here. The market changes (and what O2 is currently offering to customers) reflects that. It will be interesting to see how both O2 and GiffGaff develop their offer.

Don't know if other major telco-owned MVNs like GiffGaff are running in the UK, but I wouldn't be surprised to see others popping up to try and capture that growing part of the market whilst the mainstream brands are used to service the customers who are willing to pay premium prices and/or want premium services.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Telefonica own O2 and GiffGaff, so this is nothing new for them

Is ID Mobile, part of the Carphone Warehouse group, an MVN?

1. aks

Google "Is ID Mobile, part of the Carphone Warehouse group, an MVN?" and it tells you Three. Simples.

2. Martin an gof Silver badge

Is ID Mobile, part of the Carphone Warehouse group, an MVN?

MVNO I believe is the correct term, and there is an easy way to tell. An MNO (Mobile Network Operator) owns transmitters and infrastructure and there are now only four of those in the UK, i.e. Vodafone, O2, EE and Three. All other "networks" are MVNOs (the V standing for Virtual) and will be piggybacking on the infrastructure of one ore more of the MNOs. Some of our phones are with The Phone Co-Op which uses EE at the moment.

M.

2. katrinab Silver badge

Superdrug is owned by the same company that owns Three, and they have just started an MVN.

10. BigAndos

Handsets are just too expensive now to buy a top spec one at full price. I've got a bad history of losing/dropping/breaking phones so no way I'm shelling out £900 on this year's flagships, monthly instalments or otherwise. My most recent phone was the previous Pixel XL for £340 from a second hand shop. Perfectly good and not as bad as losing the £800 I would have spent on a Pixel 2 XL when I inevitably break it.

1. Dave 126

Last year's flagships aren't that much more than a refurbished or second hand unit from this year, and you get the reassurance of a warranty. I paid around £500 for a new S8 (about nine months after its first release) on the grounds that it'll last a few years and I'll therefore take good care of it. Waiting for some months after a phone's release also gives a chance for any inherent hardware issues, if any, to be reported on forums.

Its waterproofing has helped with the durability, as has a good case and a toughened glass screen protector. With dismay I watched it bounce down a Welsh ravine last week after it slipped from my butter fingers, but to my relief the case did its job and the phone is still in new condition. I'm going to attach a short length of brightly coloured ribbon to it to help me find it next time I drop it undergrowth (or merely in that dark gap beside a car seat).

11. Dave 126

OnePlus

OnePlus don't issue VAT invoices*. If you want a OnePlus handset and you want the VAT back for your business it can be best to buy one from the O2 shop and then badger them for a VAT invoice, which they will reluctantly send.

* Apparently for similar reasons outlined here:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/4/17796118/amazon-ebay-chinese-sellers-tax-fraud-haven

1. Oneman2Many

Re: OnePlus

OnePlus are not registered in the UK which is why you aren't paying any UK VAT to claim back. If you buy direct you are buying from Europe somewhere.

1. Wellyboot Silver badge

'm required to keep foreign receipts from any european business trips, they generally show the local VAT reg. number. VAT can be reclaimed regardless of where in the EU it was paid, it's just a slightly more complicated process.

I get my expenses paid and the company reclaims VAT wherever it can.

2. pleb

"OnePlus are not registered in the UK which is why you aren't paying any UK VAT to claim back. If you buy direct you are buying from Europe somewhere."

How does that work? Surely you (should) pay VAT at UK customs if you import privately goods bought overseas (even if via mailorder/internet).

3. David Nash Silver badge

If you're buying from "Europe somewhere" then VAT still applies.

I agree though that if it's outside Europe you won't pay VAT but in theory it will be paid on import, normally the courier holds goods in their warehouse until you pay the VAT and duty and a large fee.

1. Oneman2Many

I have looked into the purchase a little further and payment went to reflection investment b.v which looks like it could be based in Netherlands.

I am guessing there is a Tax dodge going on.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

PAYG SIMs give peace of mind

Some of us still don't trust smartphones not to suddenly rack up a huge data bill! If mine goes haywire or gets nicked at least I'll only lose a few quid balance on the network account.

You get a lot on a monthly bundle these days. My supermarket-branded bundle kept raising the data allowance so now I often have a gigabyte or two left at the end of the month. Great for uploading backups and photos... the upload speed is faster than our phone-line broadband and it avoids upsetting others in the household.

13. Gene Cash Silver badge

Would love to see the US version

I am PAYG since that's the only deal that offers only 100 voice minutes a month, but a ton of data, since I don't make calls, and is just $30/mo, which is less that 1/6th of my Verizon bill. Yes, I was paying $190/mo WITH a corporate discount!

A couple months ago my T-Mobile SIM was so old, I needed to get a new one. The guy's eyes popped out of his head when he saw how long I'd been PAYG with them. He even said "thanks for the loyalty"

14. LeahroyNake

France only

The article states 'canny Brits' in the title but the first pie chart clearly says 'France Only'....

*CCS polled over 2,000 punters in the UK and France in July.

Why are the UK results not included in the chart ?

1. heyrick Silver badge

Re: France only

"Why are the UK results not included in the chart ?"

Brexit?

(sorry, couldn't resist ☺️)

15. Elmer Phud

Data use

I'm on a cheap PAYG SIM. I worked out that most of the time I need a data connection I'd either be at home or somewhere I can slurp. Also that for some folks, 'all you can eat' leads to being on-call 24/7.

16. Shadow Systems

I wonder...

You can't trust phone makers to support their devices. They claim to make monthly updates for the next $# months, but when everything is said & done, your phone is essentially stuck at whatever version it came with when you bought it.

If the only way a typical consumer has to deal with that situation is to either: 1) fork out another fat stack of cash to buy yet another bright new shiny in order to get the very latest OS version, or 2) accept that the phone makers don't GAF about security & buy a used phone instead. If they aren't going to support even a brand new phone, what's the point in buying one over a used one that also won't be supported?

Second thought is: Who the hell considers fleabay a viable source of making a purchase? "If it looks too good to be true, it probably is" isn't just a wise old addage, it's their fekkin' business model.

You can't trust the sellers not to advertise one thing & then send you another once they have your money, unless they only *claim* to have sent it & then claim it must have gotten stolen in the mail so you're SOL.

Would you REALLY trust a fleabay seller with a purchase of a couple hundred bucks for a used phone? Why not just save time by walking up to the bloke having a boot sale at 3AM in a dark alley? Same level of trust, accountability, & purchase protection that the device you buy won't turn out to be stolen/fake/a brick in the device box instead.

Last but not least, I wonder if I should increase my daily dose of dried frog pills. I don't think I'm cynically paranoid enough for this world...

1. heyrick Silver badge

Re: I wonder...

Downvoted because my S7 shipped with Android 6. It's now running 7, and there's a message that's been pestering me for a few weeks now that there's a new (8?) update available should I free up a gig and a half of storage. I've been avoiding the update as I'm dreading Android 8 having even more stupid white and stupid flat UI design than 7 introduced.

Of course, of all my various Android phones, Samsung is actually the only manufacturer that bothered to offer any updates at all, but half of this is probably the crappy design of earlier versions of Android that had everybody needing to get involved. Your cheap phone may have had three updates, but if your carrier couldn't be bothered...

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

When I moved from an Orange-branded SIM-only account to EE a year or so ago, there was only a couple of ££ extra a month (so £50 or so over the course of a 2year term) to go on a bundle rather than SIM-only. That bundle enabled access to VoLTE, WiFi calling & 24hour phone replacement should the worst happen (missus' had a duff device a few months previous and the replacement service worked well).

Given this was a device heavily used for work, that £50 extra seemed a no brainer. But the figures may not always be as clear-cut. Android, obviously.

18. Tom Paine

Logolic Nazi klaxon

Apple's history of premium pricing may count against it. 41 per cent of customers surveyed agreed (ticking somewhat or completely) with the statement that they would never buy an iPhone,..

How does that follow? Maybe they just don't like Apple's design aesthetic, or find Android more familiar and don't want to change even though it was price that first got them onto it 10y ago, or they don't like devices designed to explode when dropped, or they want to be able to backup their music outside the Apple compound, or... And so on.

1. Rob Moir

Re: Logolic Nazi klaxon

Yeah, there's some missing logic there in order to arrive at the conclusion someone wanted, I think.

Also, I could say "41 per cent of customers surveyed agreed [...] that they would never buy an iPhone, compared to 15 per cent who responded the same way for Samsung."

So more than half of the customers _would_ buy an iPhone then, but that's bad for Apple somehow? I strongly suspect Apple won't mind that "loss" too much.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I got a better deal with a contract. Over 2 years it costs me less than the phone outright, plus I get unlimited nationwide calling and texting. Obviously you don't get to pick the latest, fanciest toy but this phone has served me very well so I don't care to have the latest.

That's the one thing to do to save money on those cursed contracts: moderate your desires, settle for "less". Less is more. More money to save.

But this is about UK and I am not in the UK so I don't know if it works that way

20. flingback

This flexibility isn't so easy with eSIM...

When we go back to having the carrier uploading the eSIM profile to the handset (so you can't buy second hand and simply swap the SIM) I can see all kinds of fun and games happening again. This last happened in the analogue markets, and has been a pretty standard feature of the US market which is pretty inflexible.

eSIM, in my opinion, is a massive backward step for consumer flexibility. It has it's place, but Apple are already baking it into handsets so the next five years could change everything.

21. John70

PAYG

I have a Samsung S8+ on Pay As You Go. £10 a month with O2 for 5000 texts, 500 mins, 2GB data. I'm mainly connected to WiFi at home and work so use little of the data.

And lately they announced that any previous month data not used is rolled over to the following month a maximum of 2GB giving you 4GB max.

https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/sim-cards/pay-as-you-go

22. Tenkaykev

Here in the UK John Lewis are offering the Huawei Mate 10 Pro for £399 sim free, and comes with a 2 Year JL Warranty*.

The phone was £699 on release, I'm hoping the P20 Pro follows a similar trajectory.

* I purchased a B+W Zeppelin from JL a few years ago. It developed a fault after about 18 months. I took it back to JL who sent it back to B+W. Ten days later I received an Email to say that my unit was ready for collection. I visited the store and they could not find it, someone else went to look, they couldn't find it. The manager apologised and said that they would give me a brand new one from their stock. Just as I was about to take the new Zeppelin away some b*gger went and found the repaired unit.:-( ( it had been sent back in plain packaging and they were looking for a B+W box )

When I unpacked the unit there was a letter of apology from B+W and a brand new 2 year warranty.

23. Oneman2Many

Cheapest S9 64GB handset only is around £530, cheapest 20GB SIM only is £400 for 24 months = £930 combined.

Cheapest contract deal for same handset and sim over 24 months is £800

Of course you lose the flexibility to change your sim plan but it does work out cheaper.

24. pleb

It ain't always so

On mobiles.co.uk you can get a Galaxy S9 with 4GB data over 24 months for total cost of £667. That is £115 up front and 24 months at £23. Or SIM-free for £699.

Or SIM-free on Amazon for £739 (pukka UK version, not the various other versions via Hong Kong).

So bundled with 4GB data is cheaper than the sim free handset. Or am I missing something?

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hey, wait a minute!

This is grass! We've been eating grass!

26. Tomato Krill

From TFA:

"Only 36 per cent of UK SIM-only customers expect to take a traditional bundle-plus-phone deal when their current plan ends, CCS found."

Sorry, what? So 36% of SIM-only customers will ditch being a SIM-only customer at renewal and return to 'traditional' bundle.

Thus, assuming negligible people exiting mobile ownership altogether means ~64% will keep with their current SIM only approach.

" Mann noted that this figure is considerably higher than the number of SIM-only customers today, who will upgrade to another SIM-only deal – indicating strong growth for the SIM-only bit of the market."

Mann asserts then that 36>64 is that right?

27. Joe Harrison

Ultra-short 18 month contracts

I once had an analog carphone and signed up with Nokia Mobira for airtime. The small print on the back of the contract said the term was ten years.

I crossed it out and initialled the change and the shop accepted it anyway, probably because in those days airtime providers paid a sizeable commission for getting new customers.

28. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I've had a T-Mobile (now EE) Web'n'Walk SIM with unlimited data only for a tenner-ish a month since 2009!

29. Morat

Where will it end?

Note 9 Sim Free - £899

S9 Sim Free - £620

iPhone 7 - £540

iPhone X - £800

For something that lives in your pocket. Has at least one side made completely of glass. Is replace every two years?

Forget plastic bags!

1. Oneman2Many

Re: Where will it end?

That is the issue with flagship phones, that they aren't getting replaced every two years. That is part of why there have been price cuts the last couple of months.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like