back to article We can rebuild him, we have the technology: AI will help security teams smack pesky anomalies

With highly targeted cyber attacks the new normal, companies are finding the once-hidden Security Operations Centre (SOC) is the part of their setup they really count on. SOCs have existed in a variety of guises for decades, emerging in recent years as a natural consequence of centralising security monitoring across …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A terrible assumption is that your system isn't already compromised, which is probably not true. Nor that you don't already have one or more insiders compromising the system. Sure, go ahead and teach your machine model what "normal" looks like, even if your systems aren't secure at this time.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Agree. Mine's the AI that can

Smell tech bullshit from a million paces away

2. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Already Available in Myriad Areas Next to You. Just a Few Clicks Away

I would agree that terrible assumption is a negative positive spoiler, Jack of Shadows. How about levelling the playing fields a little with some extra info ....

Although many successful security compromises are built from a toolkit of relatively simple techniques and common weaknesses, the chances of new attack patterns combining these with an unknown vulnerability have risen dramatically.

The reality of new attack patterns hugely ACTive in the wild and now ascribing to EMPower SCADA Systems, has the chance of their not being deployed for cyber control advantage, completely destroyed.

Hence, at a stroke, are Realities Changed and Exchanged ....... CoMingled with Other Stellar Sources Tendering to COSMIC Forces. As you will need only to imagine, is that a Truly Advanced IntelAIgent Program with Surreal and Sublime Alien Protection. .... but IT is Shared here for Great and Grand Future Earthly Use ...... Human Terra Phormication.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Already Available in Myriad Areas Next to You. Just a Few Clicks Away

Shame I'm not going to be around to see it. It'll be "interesting" for whatever definition of interesting you care to use.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"UEBA baselining with machine learning can adjust its worldview of a user's behaviour"

So all a hacker needs to do is ensure that his package can shift the pseudo-AI's worldview bit by bit and then he will be right at home.

Given that there have been Tesla buyers stupid enough to think that their car was self-diving, marketing any technical solution with the notion of AI is a surefire way to ensure a catastrophe. Complacency and habit means that when this so-called "AI" security will be in place, as long as it doesn't squeak, admins will just take care of the daily panics and not worry about whether or not the machine is working right.

Hackers of the future will have a lot of fun with these toys, I think.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "UEBA baselining with machine learning can adjust its worldview of a user's behaviour"

If you're following the papers in the field, various research teams are mapping out exactly how to do this type of manipulation for each of the various learning models.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: "UEBA baselining with machine learning can adjust its worldview of a user's behaviour"

Yes, which is why this sort of thing is one of many components in a defense-in-depth strategy.

As there's no silver bullet, we have to make do with a great many lead ones.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

https://youtu.be/PKCnBRSd2ns

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"We can rebuild him, we have the technology"

I'm just here for the 6 mil $ man reference.

I really enjoyed that show and had Farah on my wall for years.

(showing my age)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like