back to article Make Sammy Great Again: Surprise – Samsung chucks cash at manufacturing

Samsung has pledged to splurge $160bn on technology investment over three years, as the global smartphone market matures. decline Worldwide smartphone shipments DOWN for first time ever READ MORE In March, Samsung became the world's No.1 semiconductor manufacturer, knocking Intel off the top spot for the first time since …

1. tentimes

Flagship just too expensive

If you look at a graph of flagship phone prices over the past 10 years you will see a huge and uncharacteristic rise in the graph over the past few years. Previously it was a gradual increase then all of a sudden Apple launch that price into orbit, closely followed by Samsung.

They cannot seem to understand that if they brought flagship phone prices down to a reasonably level they would sell more phones and make more profit. At the moment nearly £1000 for a phone is absolutely ridiculous (for a pimped out S9). My S7 cost me £500 and I won't budge above that for a phone. The Huwei stuff always looks appealing until you dig into the details and find a deal breaker.

Offer me a phone Samsung that is better than my S7, can do more or has some new feature, BUT don't you dare charge more than £500. There is no way the cost of production is more than about £250 and you already have enough profit without copying Apple. Apple has a zombie horde of retarded people who will just pay anything, would let their kids go hungry, just to get their next overly priced phone. Samsung doesn't have that luxury.

1. djstardust

Re: Flagship just too expensive

Galaxy Note 2 - year 2012 - £550

Galaxy Note 4 - Year 2014 - £569

Galaxy note 8 - Year 2017 - £869

There's a pattern here. Samsung adding at least £50 a year to flagship handsets is getting tiring, and they only do it because Apple get away with it.

Just look at the Tab S4. The price is utterly ridiculous (then add the keyboard). You'd have to be out of your mind to buy it but no-one at samsung seems to think that.

As much as I think Samsung phones are good in principle (started with the Omnia HD in 2009), the horrific pricing and lack of long term support means I'm out ...... and I guess I'm not the only one.

2. Gene Cash Silver badge

Per the article:

"the spiralling cost of the flagships only makes consumers think twice about upgrading"

So... yeah.

Personally, I stay away from Samsung not because of price, but because they've got to piss in Android and give it a good stir first, with TouchWiz. It's right in the name.

I have enough useless non-removable crap from Google. I don't need duplicates of it from Samsung.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

I have enough useless non-removable crap from Google. I don't need duplicates of it from Samsung.

FWIW Samsung phones are generally among the easier ones to root and install another version of Android on. This gets you all the hardware goodness without the cruft and is to be recommended on older phones which are out of warranty anyway.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

...and the affordable stuff is uncompetitive crap.

Just got a snail mail marketing shot from Vermin Media offering me £60 off a Samsung J3. I have the misfortune to endure a J3 as my work phone, and its a cheap, nasty piece of shit that offers very little for its price. I wouldn't voluntarily use a J3 if I were PAID £60 to do so. Admittedly it is somewhat cheaper than (say) a Motorola G6, but vastly inferior in important areas of battery life and size. And vastly inferior to the emerging brand offers (in Western markets, that is) of companies like Xiaomi.

To me, this is why Samsung have lost it - the decent phones cost an arm and a leg, and they make the cheaper stuff intentionally crap to avoid cannibalising sales from the flagships. Sadly that strategy only works if you've got a brand as strong as Apple. Which I suppose echoes tentimes comment at the start of this thread.

Just got a snail mail marketing shot from Vermin Media offering me £60 off a Samsung J3

A friend of mine bought a J5 and was very happy with it until he found out it doesn't do 5 Ghz wifi… unlike my five-year old S5.

Consumer electronics manufacturers have been doing this for years: crippling the cheaper versions to artificially segement the market.

2. alexmcm

I have had the Samsung A3 2017 for the last year and it does admirably. It meets all my criteria, it's not stupidly large (5' I think), it's battery can very comfortably last 1 day, and 2 at a stretch, it can be rooted, takes an microsd card and it is responsive. It cost about $500 AUD ( roughly 300 pounds). I can only think of 1 improvement (a replaceable battery).

The 'flagship' phones all fail more than one of those requirements, and charges 3 times the price for the privilege.

4. Schultz
      Unhappy

Re: Flagship just too expensive ...

and the sub-flagship options I looked at recently just had very underwhelming screens. I am sad to veer from Samsung, I got a good 5 years out of my S3 with its beautifully crisp OLED display, and if it weren't for software obsolescence creeping up I would still give it my love. So it's time for a good hard look at the Chinese competition. Xiomi offers the MI8 SE with a well reviewed Samsung OLED screen for just under $300.

2. James 51

e2save is offering a S9 on vodafone with 4gb of data £100 up front and £23 per month for two years. That's less than the sim free price of a S9. Guess they are taking the hit hoping people will take the bait. Do have to admit, I am tempted.

What that tells you is that there are discounts to be had. VF gets volume discounts from Samsung and may even get another one for this offer. And they also know that people almost never cancel their contracts on time… But you can probably get to within £100 of the total price with a SIM-free phone.

Save yourself some money and get a new or second-hand S8 or similar and stick LineageOS on it. After at most a couple of weeks (more likely a couple of days) you'll be over the "must have shiny" feeling will be eclipsed by the feeling of having saved a fortune and still having a great phone.

1. James 51

The S9 is cheaper than the S8 in their deals atm.

The S9 is cheaper than the S8 in their deals atm.

Then shop around a bit… Google tells me that I can get an S8 for around € 300 and an S9 for € 570.

OTOH if you really want an S9 then go for it.

3. cirby

VR

Samsung has a lot of interest in the emerging VR market.

Not as headset makers (though their Windows Mixed Reality headset is probably the best of that type), but as a component maker. They make the displays used in the Vive and the Rift, for example, along with chips and other hardware.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Samsung - Meh

Samsung need to concentrate on hardware quality. 2 expensive items went south weeks after the warranty expired, one - a TV was used for a couple of hours twice a week, around 15 months in, the motherboard failed, luckily we had extended warranty because a TV that is fixed to one channel and volume level is no use

The phone with a USB jack that failed suddenly one day at around 14 months in was met with "you must be charging it too often" when I called support on the phone - "We wouldnt repair that as a durability issue." Nearest Samsung phone shop was 120 miles from me, something I pointed out to the Samsung guy who buttonholed me in the street in Cardiff one day, when I told him I ditched the Galaxy and now have an iphone that is heavily used and has no hardware issues (at the time 2 years in). The fact that I was told to go away when I called the support number was enough. I know EU law says "durability" but I had so much hassle asserting that right on a lightly used HP printer a few years back I didnt bother trying, lesson learned, Samsung brand excluded from consideration in future.

The only 2 Samsung products I had failed shortly after the warranty expired - I expect far better build quality - something I do get from Apple despite the acidic comments of the sammy fanbois on here. My early build iPhone 6 plus is still going strong. The lack of quality has put me off of Samsung for a long long time.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like