back to article Arm reckons its 'any device, any data, any cloud' IoT tech has legs

Arm – the designer of processors used in billions of gadgets, smartphones, and other devices – has launched a new Internet-of-Things platform that it claims will be able to handle any data from any device on any cloud. There's no shortage of organizations offering IoT solutions, but Arm claims its Pelion IoT platform stands …

1. JohnFen

Nope

"it will be a software-as-a-service subscription (SaaS) model, paid on a monthly basis."

That's me out, right there.

1. martinusher Silver badge

Re: Nope

Its the 'vast infrastructure' thing that doesn't make any sense to me. I've been connecting 'things' together for most of my working life and I don't see what engineering advantage you'd get from putting everything on a giant network of peer nodes. I'd guess that this is primarily a Marketing driven technology, something that's driven more by the promise of income streams than the solution of everyday problems.

FWIW, I do a 'layered' approach where information in aggregated and refined as it flows towards more intelligent nodes. It evolved because of technical limitations, typically the outlying nodes are pretty dumb and one needs to conserve network bandwidth. I know this tends to contradict the model that says that processing, memory and bandwidth are infinite resources to be used at will but there's this little problem of scaling....

(As an exercise we might want to ponder about how we'd collect detailed network traffic information from widely scattered nodes on the Internet without that network traffic information dominating the traffic statistics.)

2. druck Silver badge

ARM not Arm

As above.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: ARM not Arm

It is Arm. Do keep up with your corporate rebrandings.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

IoT versus GDPR - Not one mention of the word

Privacy! Is this like a bad word now like immigration or immigrants etc.

Piracy <- There's more than a little similarity between these two words.

How long till IoT data like below is used in ways users never 'expected':

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-45043399

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

IoT Hell - US firms are indifferent to EU GDPR

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/net-results-many-us-tech-firms-still-dismissive-of-gdpr-1.3489504

---

"Companies supposedly withdrawing from Europe could end up with EU data for any range of reasons, such as EU citizens travelling in the US and visiting their site or using their service. - Net Results: Many US tech firms still dismissive of GDPR - it could take years of fines and court challenges - US companies will be particularly implicated here, due to the preponderance of data-processing multinationals.

"The US attitude has always been dismissive towards EU privacy and data protections. I’ve sat through countless sessions at events in the US where EU protections that were supposed to be observed already under the former principles of Safe Harbour data transfer, and later its current replacement Privacy Shield, were discussed with, at best, mild annoyance and too often, belittling contempt. - This is is why I’ve always doubted that many US organisations took either seriously. And I know from talking to individuals who know the position at first hand, that, in practice, many haven’t."

"Silicon Valley companies, in particular, are grossly underestimating their GDPR obligations. He notes: “Companies that think they can just block EU IP addresses and avoid the GDPR are kidding themselves. There are plenty of legitimate reasons for an EU user’s IP address to appear as if it is from outside the EU. As soon as that happens, the company likely has GDPR obligations.”

1. JohnFen

Re: IoT Hell - US firms are indifferent to EU GDPR

Yes, because the US tech industry juggernauts are utterly dependent on invading everyone's privacy and weakening everyone's security in order for them to make their mountains of cash.

Their greatest nightmare is that the data flow might be restricted and then they'd be limited to just making a reasonable profit like everyone else.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

This just in...

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/08/02/iot_nightmare_darktrace/

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I've noticed a bunch of Apps on my phone recently offering me the choice of accepting their data gathering terms (e.g. MyFitnessPal) or simply not working. I thought that was against GDPR however there doesn't seem to be any UK org to lodge a complaint with.

4. ken jay

oh dear he opened his fridge at 8am i am sure he must be a terrorist

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What exactly is the Internet-of-Things?

"What exactly is the Internet-of-Things?"

1. Its a Smart TV that exists for industry-wide consumer surveillance

2. Its a vacuum cleaner with video cam for remote spying capability

3. Its the very next Alexa / eavesdropping smart-speaker clusterfuck

4. Its a car that will spy on you anywhere / everywhere you go / drive

5. Its a kids toy that will burn your kids privacy badly or even horribly

6. Its a home security device that will often leave the front door open

7. Its a home security system that will track your family for hackers

8. Its medical equipment / a hacked CT scanner that gives a lethal dose

9. Its a kettle / home device hacked to start a fire while you're asleep!

0. Its a cyberwar device for ddosing and conducting WW3 attacks etc.

~~~~~

IoT is basically

~~~~~

1. A solution to a problem no one really cares about versus flying cars

2. An empty marketing sales pitch in search of some real practical use

3. Intelligence / Spying target-device that Govt has promised to exploit

4. A device that 'phones-home' reliably, but fails when you need it to work

5. A host of juicy data left wide-open on an Amazon S3 Cloud bucket

6. A marketing device designed to bump GDP / Surveillance-Economy

7. A 'Scam' perpetrated on unwitting low-hanging-fruit users / consumers

8. A clusterfuck of unintended consequences that'll burn vulnerable people

9. Endless devices offering 24/7 Worldwide-Surveillance Orwellian-Hell

0. - *Internet_of_Threats* - *Internet_of_Tat* - *Internet_of_Twats* -

1. ThatOne Silver badge
      Facepalm

As the AC above said.

IoT is just a means to sell cheap gadgets to the clueless, and make a quick buck revealing data about them to marketers and criminals. Unfortunately it's the latest big craze, there is lots of money to be made with IoT, so there is no way it will go away, ever.

Only thing we can do is educate people we care about (children, parents) so they don't become part of the statistics.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like