back to article Only a day late and a dollar short, Google: Now its cloud cozies up to Microsoft's GitHub

At its Google Cloud Next 18 extravaganza in San Francisco on Thursday, Google took a moment to address developers directly. Where the keynotes for the previous two days were calibrated for a general audience, the developer keynote focused on live coding and devops arcana. Adam Seligman, veep of developer relations for Google …

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Unhappy

Worse than before

So not only has microsoft got its hooks into github, this suggests google has as well. What could possibly go wrong?

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Mushroom

MAKE IT STOP!

For those with in-demand tech skills who are still young enough to avoid hiring discrimination, that's undoubtedly true. But it's been true for decades.

It's called "Perpetual immaturity".

It's a thing. And the software wreckage made by overpaid young people full of illusions of adequacy and buyoed by starry-eyed MBA-equipped sociopaths are all around us.

Meckfessel provided a demonstration of how Cloud Build could be used to diagnose a slow ecommerce app, make a fix with a GitHub pull request, validate the changes, run tests, do security scanning and trigger a Spinnaker pipeline to deploy the image.

These circus shows are just worng. It's marketing varnish showing off glitzware. These are the kind of people that made you desire all that cool lego stuff when you were a kid. Well guess what - you couldn't afford it. Same here. You can't get the skills, you can't get the politicial backing in the enterprise, you can't get the money, your perk-demanding prima donnas will ruin it while mumbling trigger words behind hipster beards and its a solution to a problem you don't have anyway. Unless you are Google of course.

"Good programmers copy, great programmers paste," he said in jest but also in truth

No. Fuck off!! Keep these "programmers" away from anything beyond hobby hacking with deadly force if needed. These "programmers" are the reason software suddenly keels over and burns terribly, then no logfile or any diagnostic can be found. Not even a comment because "muh agility and we do zero comment policy". Soon, there will be dead people under the wreckage and then the party will be over.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hell, if we could get our developers to check their code into source control, that would be a step forward.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Huh, looks like one of our developers found me.

4. rmullen0

Please explain how any of this is better

Personally, I feel that DevOps, microservices, and this whole new way of doing things is a complete scam. I don't see how any of this is better than the old way of doing things. Maybe it makes sense for large corporations, but, for something like intranet apps, it is total overkill and a complete waste of time. On top of that, it is also a complete wasted of money. I am sick and tired of this stuff being water boarded down my neck. Managers are all too eager to lap this stuff up. There should be a requirement that anyone who manages developers has to have actually been a developer. Too often they are not. All they do push whatever the latest buzzword is on you whether it makes sense for a project or not. Docker is a complete scam as well. It is a total joke to think that it and microservices in any way improve things, make things simpler or more reliable. It does not. Not by a long shot. All it does is complicate things and make a complete waste of time. If any of these managers had a clue, if they had actually written an application before, then, maybe they wouldn't be constantly pushing this garbage. The state of web development is a complete joke also. Nothing but JavaScript hell. If you aren't doing single page web applications, you aren't cool. Well, there is more to constantly trying to keep up with the trendy cool kids. It's called getting meaningful work done. As for me, I will be doing my best to stick to doing things following KISS as much as possible. And that means doing my best to avoid using any of this garbage. I just hope I can fend off the morons for another 10 to 15 years when I hope to retire, assuming Trump doesn't completely devalue my retirement savings in the process of blowing up the economy.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Linux

Re: Please explain how any of this is better

@rmullen0: "Personally, I feel that DevOps, microservices, and this whole new way of doing things is a complete scam" ..

Two down-votes, you are not of the body, not of the body ref.

5. cantankerous swineherd

Melody Meckfessel is a character invented by Verity Stob and ICMFP.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Only a day late and a dollar short

Yawn.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Only a day late and a dollar short

Why??? It's what I was born with

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like