back to article Your 60-second guide to security stuff Google touted today at Next '18

It's day two of Google's Cloud Next 2018 conference in San Francisco – and the Chocolate Factory has been unveiling its defenses to thwart hackers and malware. Top of the list is the Titan two-factor authentication widgets Google is going to start shipping later in the year, consisting of a pair of USB and Bluetooth key fobs. …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'Only 10% of Gmail users have multi-factor protections enabled 7 years after the security was added'

I wonder how much of that is fear about giving Google your real number?

G-Suite / Office-365 / WhatsApp are all part of my SO's work setup etc.

But we don't trust them with this info even with the valid security benefits.

1. Christian Berger

To be honest, protecting GMail is like...

... putting a high security padlock into a paper bag. Yes, you can protect one aspect of it, however since such webservices always have to have an "I forgot my password" option, there's usually an easier way to bypass those restrictions.

2. Flakk
      Trollface

Re: 'Only 10% of Gmail users have MF protections enabled 7 years after the security was added'

I wonder how much of that is fear about giving Google your real number?

Oh, don't you worry about that. They already know it.

2. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

Two-factor while holding a gadget

Password = what you know.

Oh, it's that phone again = what you have.

Two factor is very nearly inherent.

1. -tim

Re: Two-factor while holding a gadget

The phone is only holding something you know... if you could remember 2048+ bit number. Depending on your legal requirements for two factor authentication, it may not count as something you have.

2. Christian Berger

Well things on your phone are a different category, it's "what everyone else knows, but you".

After all all the "security" mechanisms in mobile OSes are there to keep the user out. The manufacturer or even app developers can still more or less freely spy on you.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That hacker in Pakistan going to get on a plane?

2FA is the single most important security thing you should do.

It's not perfect of course, but it's very effective at getting rid of remote hackers

3. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

The Abiding Trouble Associated with Becoming All Powerful and All Seeing ....

A question for the future to answer is not can Google/Alphabet Inc. bring down governments and Uncle Sam, for surely that outcome via application of technologies in its portfolio of services is never in doubt, but will it? Or will it be left to A.N.Others to harvest the rewards?

1. Roger Greenwood

Re: The Abiding Trouble Associated with Becoming All Powerful and All Seeing ....

You should write Vogon poetry, I feel your talents would then be better appreciated.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Google

= All your Privacy are belong to us.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Google

For great justice, opt-out everything.

5. Neoc

Question

What happens if you lose your dongle (or it stops working)? I notice there's no mention of how this is to be remedied. Or is this like the IoT: "nothing can ever go wrong so we don't need recovery"?

1. a pressbutton

Re: Question

RTFAQ

What happens if I lose both of my Security Keys?

If you still have access to a logged-in session, you can visit myaccount.google.com and register replacement keys in place of the lost keys. If you have lost both keys and do not have access to a logged-in session, you will need to submit a request to recover your account. It will take a few days for Google to verify it’s you and grant you access to your account.

1. Anonymous Coward
        FAIL

Re: Question

And if you are really lucky Google, much like a cat, just might get back to you. Google failed here.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: It will take a few days for Google to verify it’s you and grant you access to your account.

Oh goody!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Headmaster

Your 60 second guide

but only if you speed read so fast that you can't take it in. I managed to get through in 1:06, but only by making the conscious effort to read the printed word without considering what it meant.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like