back to article Azure running out of internets in UK South, starts rationing VMs

There are rumblings that Azure is having capacity issues once again, with customers in the UK South region reporting problems getting new VMs provisioned. One Register reader got in touch after attempting to add a new VM in the UK South region and receiving this message from Microsoft's Capacity Management Team: "Unfortunately …

1. EnviableOne
    FAIL

Its not so grim up here

a New UK North region may be on the cards?

We got space and comms, and cooling will generally be easier, and staff generally cheaper

Just saying ... if Capacity is an issue ...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Its not so grim up here

I have to wonder whether this issue might actually be due to DC cooling problems rather than a shortage of HW to run up new VMs in those DCs.

If it is due to a lack of HW to run up new VMs then it implies unforeseen business growth. On the other hand, given the current weather, unforeseen cooling needs seems more likely.

2. TheVogon

Re: Its not so grim up here

"We got space and comms, and cooling will generally be easier, and staff generally cheaper"

And given a few more decades of AGW, might even be pleasant to visit!.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What about the competition?

It would be interesting to know if customers of AWS or Google Cloud are experiencing similar capacity related limitations.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: What about the competition?

Well there was this piece: AWS launches on-premises EC2 instances for reverse hybrid cloud

Which would seem to suggest that some are beginning to get it (its only taken 10 years...). To take one example, an SI, located in the SE, has a football pitch sized data centre, now sitting largely empty as clients have moved their loads off their outsourced systems into the cloud, it seems natural to refill that datacentre with cloud servers rather than MS et al building yet another DC...

3. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

That's cloud computing for you!

1. PowerBenny
      Flame

No, no, no! Didn't you get the memo? In the cloud everything automagically scales to infinity.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

re: Scales to Infinity

except when it rains...

Oh wait... We haven't had any for months. Oh well.

2. Anomalous Cowturd
      Mushroom

No clouds = no cloud.

What a scorcher.

4. Zippy's Sausage Factory
    Facepalm

Typical MS behaviour - Load, Fire... Aim?

1. Zippy's Sausage Factory

Actually I got that wrong. Should be "Fire, Aim... Load?"

5. Dwarf

Wasn't one of the benefits of cloud supposed to be that you don't have to worry about capacity management any more ?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Capacity management

Well, yes, you don't worry about capacity management because your vendor does it for you. Till they don't.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Indeed, like all things cloud, you assume it'll work until it doesn't, then report to your manager why. From the perspective of the IT staff unable to work, there is no longer anything to worry about other than reporting what the cloud is telling you to upper management.

Personally I like the complete lack of responsibility I have now, very little for me to worry about fixing, just fire off an e-mail "Our suppliers are currently looking into the problem, we're very totally unbelievably sorry for the outage caused by the decisions of upper management, but our hands are tied."

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"outage caused by the decisions of upper management, but our hands are tied"

Isn't that a recipe for a DCM*?

"Expedited resolution of the outage is unfortunately above my pay grade."

"Don't come Monday" for the uninitiated.

6. David Roberts

Selling it faster than they can build it?

Either very good business or very poor planning.

Either way I assume that there are logistical limits on how fast you can provision new kit and accomodation.

1. Dave Bell

Re: Selling it faster than they can build it?

Maybe they should sign up to Amazon Prime

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like